What type of metal for rear engine mounts?

Joel K

Supporter
Hi,

I’m looking to fab up a new set of rear engine mounts for my SL-C. They look like they are made with stainless steel. Just wanted to confirm if that is the case or are they nickel plated steel.

Thanks for your help.

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks Ken, I learn something new everyday. Mine do adhere to a magnet also so must be plated.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So when I remade mine, I used 1/8" thick 4140. There's no real reason not to use Aluminum IMHO but if I did I would use 6061-T6 1/4 " thick.

Joel K

Supporter
So when I remade mine, I used 1/8" thick 4140. There's no real reason not to use Aluminum IMHO but if I did I would use 6061-T6 1/4 " thick.

Thanks Howard, if I was to use aluminum could I just use extruded 1/4” angle, it says it is 6061-T1? I assume I should also weld in the support for added strength just like the original ones?

Howard Jones

Supporter
This is what I'm talking about. One on each side. It also serves as a chassis triangulation piece at the opposite corner from the one at the upper rear that is welded into the chassis. This could be made from 6061 T6 as well as 4041 CM as I did. I may well do it over in aluminum to reduce the weight at some point. I won't bless extrusions used in fabrications that must be used in high strength applications because too many times the material is intended to be used as cosmetic pieces and have very little relative strength. But a correctly welded fabricated piece like mine made from either of the above materials should be fine and very strong.

I like to be careful recommending materials as I am not a structural/applied materials engineer. My background is in electrical engineering with a bit of self taught homemade racecar best guess work thrown in. Buyer beware.

HPIM0974.jpg
HPIM0972.jpg

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya the memory is the first thing to go. It might as well have been built for a Panzer. That was the first thing I made with my new welder about 10 years ago now I guess. No way I needs to be that heavy. If I made it again now I might even try to box it with much thinner material instead of the gusset system I used then.

Back