What we get a ENTIRE forum for transxles and no posts??????

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Re: What we get a ENTIRE forum for transaxles and no posts??

Guys

I think you have it wrong
The casing should be made of Glass recycled from Diet Coke bottles

Reasons are
1)Diet Cole is for reduced weight
2)Diet = no Sugar - this should help achieve a non "sticky" change.
3) Glass will be an extremely good "bling" feature
4) Glass will allow easy checking of prune juice level and state of the potato gears

What a smashing gear box that will make

Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ian,
I have a far better suggestion. I think Fali might back me on this. You need top make the casing out of Guiness cans, as the extra iron will give it more strength /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brett

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

t' be sure, t' be sure Guiness would be good but it would take too long to pour to get a good casting!

Ian

But Irn Bru is made from girders, so shouldn't Irn Bru cans provide ultimate strength?

Looks like I will have to cancel this project though. It seems potato gears are not legal for new construction in this state. Something about a dispute with our potato-growing neighbors to the north (Idaho) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Guys,

I think I have figured out a way to use all of your ideas, but we WILL NOT have to cut gears in the potato!! If I can figure out a mechanism to hold and laterally move a football shaped potato so that the engine side starts near the center of a glass disc and the output side starts near the periphery of a second disc and then as the potato moves the engine side moves towards the periphery as the output side moves towards the center, we will have an inifinitely variable transaxle! I think an ally case would work great, but I'll let you guys figure out which source would be best. I think the coefficient of friction at the potato to glass interface will be perfect to handle the torque of any engine that will fit in a GT40 as well. There is a guy on the forum who works with vegetable handling machinery and I bet he can tell us how to precisely shape the potato! Below is a simple diagram to illustrate what I am trying to describe.

Regards,
Lynn

Attachments

• 64909-PotatoeDrive.jpg
    64909-PotatoeDrive.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 200

Charlie Farley

Supporter

Im sorry to disagree with you all, but ive been down this vegetable root before (hehe)
As a vegan, ive had to make compromises, i enlisted Linda McCartney in my design.
The bellhousing was carved from an ostrich egg shell and the gears straightcut from rhubarb stalks.
I found that virgin olive oil from greece, first pressing, needed no cooler.Plus, it was useful in cooking the proverbial 'egg' on the front deflector.As to torque, have you ever experienced the effort needed to peel a plantain? This legume is in for definate consideration as driveshaft materail.It will take the power from a 302 and 'unwind' up the straight.if all else fails, you can distill these parts of the car and add them to the tank!

Howard Jones

Supporter

VIRGIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Hot damn Fred!! Now were talking!

Oh and what do you guys think of the new Audi semiauto that uses a large chain/belt sort of thing that rides on two cone shaped "gears" to change a varible gear ratio. I believe they(Audi) think this thing is very tough and would be able to handle a lot of torque.

If they make them for front wheel drive only then it might work as far as layout goes.

Faili, a early 60s trans (Porsche) will not even began to hold up in v8 application. 915 is marginally better.....use at least a 930 (turbo) or G50

Back