Wheel size .

Had both in the past
ended up keeping 15' as original set up
17' look more agressive
15' look original

I would think (in BVE at least, more difficult to find the richt tires sizes in 17')

Grtz
Fred

I’d have thought tyres would be easier in 17’s than classic 15” tyres personally! Can use more modern varieties with more profile and width options etc.
17’s allow bigger brakes to be fitted naturally.

Do I think 17’s look as good as 15’s on the original GT40 body? Personally not but everyone has their own tastes!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It depends….. what are your regulations regarding the tyres you use and the speed rating thereof.

in the U.K. as an example the tyre rating has to match the perceived maximum speed f the vehicle so in the GT40 they insist on V rated tyres. And as these were specified in the inspection documentation, should you change them for say H rated tyres it will invalidate your insurance!

I believe the States are less regulated, however would you want your life and loved ones in a vehicle with less able tyres on it?

V rated in the correct width and profile for a GT40 in 17 inch size (rears being 26 inch diameter) are difficult / impossible to find.

The Avon ones in 15 inch are designed for these cars, V rated etc.. I know which I would put on my car!

Ian

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Just wondering why people think they need bigger brakes for a 2000lb car. If not regular track use then the original Dunlop's were adequate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just wondering why people think they need bigger brakes for a 2000lb car. If not regular track use then the original Dunlop's were adequate.

NASCAR had been using only 15” wheels for many decades and were braking cars that weighed 3500+# from over 200mph. I’m with you David.
Now that said - 15” tire selection has been substantially reduced. Now it would seem that you need 17”+ in order to get the sizes you need/want. Within those parameters, people want bigger brake rotors to fill those wheels up for esthetic reasons more than anything.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So here is my recommendation on 17" wheels/tires.

Wheels 17X8F and 17X10 (no less than 10, whereas 10.5-11" wide are better 10s will work and stay inside the bodywork.) Any wider and you will need the wide hip flares.

Tires. Toyo R888R. F 244/40/17 (if you need to decrease the diameter just a bit then go with 234/34/17. R 315/35/17. I have these sizes on my GTD 245/40/17 and 315/35/17 on the rear with 8-inch F's and 10.5" R.s. They fit well and I am running the car pretty low 3.75" F and 4.25" rear ride height.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-r888r/

The only other option I can find is

But you will need to run 245/30/17F and 285/40/17R. The rears will be 26" in diameter and 9.9 inches wide instead of the 25.7 and 11.8 width of the Toyos. The Toyo 315's will pinch into a bit more than 11" tread width on a 10.5-inch wide wheel, however. I'm pretty sure this will still work and will fit well enough on 10" wide wheels also, but no narrower.

The only tire that is any good in 15-inch are CR6ZZ Avons. But I think you are going to make compromises on tire diameter as well as tread widths.

Then there is these Avon wet track tires. The sizes will work but I have no experience with these and I would seek advice before I ran these or any other race tire on the street. Try and stay with 7-8 inch wide F's and 10" wide R's wheels.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Randy. NASCAR just went to 18-inch wheels. Why? So they could get enough brake on the car to road race on tracks with real straightaways, not Sears Point, and the de-neutered Watkins Glen. They found this out at Road America with the Xfinity Series. Everybody either burned off the brakes or sandbagged for two-thirds of the race to save the brakes for the last few laps. There are no NASCAR tracks that have brake zones where they brake down to under 60-70 MPH from over 200. Not even COTA. The long back straight is at about 185 down to 60 or so with the new NASCAR's.

We will see where they go with the new car, but my guess is it's going to be street tracks in big media markets. LA.....NY...... Miami......?

V8 Supercars in Australia run on 17' wheels, or something like that. Full size sedan, and they cook the brakes all the time. I'm sure if they were allowed to go to a larger wheel, and fit bigger brakes, they would.

Back