Where is the Factory Five of GT40s?

Hey Fran,

Godd call. That is want I was thinking. Nothing else comes to mind with a Ford V8 and a transaxle.

I hope he makes it work.

Doug

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Doug Barry ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Just a guess, there are lots of mid-80s MR2s around that would have the mid-engine (sort of) and transaxle arrangement that could be used. They are cheap and abundant in yards.

Alternatively the Audi A4 (or eariler 100) platform would work providing a transaxle and engine (4 and 5 cylinder) at the same time with good electronic engine control on the latter models. Same for the late-model VW Passats as they are the same car. And the eariler VW Quantum.

None of these net a Ford V8 though, and that is a critical component.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Keep in mind that the last generation SHO V8 came only as an AUTOMATIC! No manual trans, the first gen SHO had both the 5 speed and the later 3.2L autobox.

I'm watching with interest. Having been involved in a couple of abortive auto manufacturing attempts I am somewhat skeptical of the concept of "building to the price" as this usually requires a lot od compromises to the original concept.

One of the reasons that the Pantera has not kept pace value wise with inflatiion and the rest of the exotic market is that it was "built to a price" and was therefor compromised. Please no flames about this but the car had a cheap parts bin interior and the early cars had severe body/rust/weld issues. The Italians couldn't built a decent Fiat in those days much less a "cheap" mid-engine exotic!

Rick
rolleyes.gif

I would guess a Nissan Maxima set up. Great engine but the trany is a little week. My '85 Maxima died at 350 thousand, & my '94 Quest is just passing 260 thousand miles.
The teeth on the diff. ring gear seam to break off & ruin your day.
mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:
Keep in mind that the last generation SHO V8 came only as an AUTOMATIC! No manual trans, the first gen SHO had both the 5 speed and the later 3.2L autobox.

I'm watching with interest. Having been involved in a couple of abortive auto manufacturing attempts I am somewhat skeptical of the concept of "building to the price" as this usually requires a lot od compromises to the original concept.

One of the reasons that the Pantera has not kept pace value wise with inflatiion and the rest of the exotic market is that it was "built to a price" and was therefor compromised. Please no flames about this but the car had a cheap parts bin interior and the early cars had severe body/rust/weld issues. The Italians couldn't built a decent Fiat in those days much less a "cheap" mid-engine exotic!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then it's a good thing I'm only HALF Italian!

I really will let you all in on it - I SWEAR! - but I can't ... yet.

With the single donor, you'll be able to have either a 5-speed or an automatic.

However, keep in mind that - with the exception of the Taurus with the V8 - the Ford Focus, MR2, Audi, VW, and Maxima are not Ford V8s. And, as mentioned above, if I made a GT40 without a Ford V8 I'd probably lose 80% of my target audience.

That being said, I am having to convert over a MacPherson strut for the front.

Truth be told, I'm not really building a car to a price point so much as I'm attempting an innovative idea that just happens to come in at that price. It was a fortuitous coincidence!

More details to follow. I am (hopefully) picking up a second donor car today so that I can start tearing it down.

BTW, I have looked and looked, but I cannot find a good source for the seats. Any help?

Your pal,
Meat.

If you are thinking of v-8 front wheel drive in abundance except for the manual or auto box part I would have to think Lincoln continental with the 4.6 32 valve modular. That manual problem is the tricky part though...hmmmm

Fran

You're probably right. I doubt GT40 style
seats are in Meat's plans.

I was commenting on how expensive they are
and potential ways to reduce the cost.
I hope someone in the US lines up a vendor
that will make a pair in vinyl for under
$ 1,000 (Tornado quoted me $ 750/pair plus
$ 300 shipping).

They are not complex once you have the material, and they have no internal mechanisms. So hopefully someone can do it.
I have no objections to buying seats from
Tornado. If nothing pops up I probably will.

MikeD

Mark,

Again I apologize for the anti-social post. I did not intend it to be a flame or BS. I simply would like to know the answers to the questions that 'meat' himself posted that implies that FFR is ran by less than honest and forthcoming individuals.

If he has some answers to these then he should post them instead of the usual retorts he makes.

As for the subject at hand:
Unfortunately I do not think Ford really has a good option for a single donor type option on a GT40 design. The closest I could think of would still be the Mustang w/ the option of a 351W be used.

My understanding is that the transmission is the bigest obstical in these cars (i.e. expensive and prone to damage w/ at moderately high HP and Torque) Has anybody attempted to use a T5 or T-3550 w/ a short drive shaft to a V Drive and then on short driveshaft back to the rear diff. Then use a standard 8.8" rear diff (IRS or Live Axle Setup.)

grin.gif
TAZ

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: TAZ ]

I would like to see some of the curent GT40 manufacturers offer their kit in stages (i.e.- Stage 1: chassis and suspension, Stage 2: Driveline; Stage 3: Interior). Offer various options for each of the stages (upgraded brakes, cooling, leather, diferent gauges, etc).

This way, people (like me) who don't have the $$$ for the entire kit up front could buy each stage as $$$$ comes available. Since the makers must make these parts for their entire kits anyway, they won't have to make any changes to tooling. On the contrary, they might increase market share considerably. And if the kit buyer decides to sell his uncompleted kit for whatever reason, it would be easier to sell to another kit buyer wanting to build a GT40.

What do you think?

Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
Bill D, they do. RF does, DRB will, and I think NZ will. Just buy a rolling chassis, finish that, get the rest later.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spitfire:
Hey meat, when do you think you will make your announcement? Next week,next month?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there are a FEW hours of CAD stuff first, plus I have to get another donor and some parts to drop off to the chassis designer fella.

I don't want to wait all that long.

M40.jpg

Your pal,
Meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I WON'T be losing that 80%, nor will you have to get a Pantera...unless you want one! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mangusta?
Bronco?

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I really like the GT40 style seats.
But they are expensive. Tornado had the best
price by far, but the shipping is a killer.
Maybe if you had a bunch brought over together the cost would come down.

Other idea would be for someone with connections South of The Border to have them
made from scratch.

MikeD

15k for the whole car and 1k of that for seats???
Andy Sheldon is in this to make money too,I DONT think a bulk order would change the price enough to make it worthwhile for him or the end consumer.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Fran Hall ]

Back