which foam to use to mold seats in the tub ?

Since our GT40 will be almost exclusively driven on racetracks, I plan to mold the seats directly in the tub, using the old " sit on a big trash bag filled with solidifying polyurethane foam" method.

Would you have any recommendations as of which polyurethane to use ?

I also found this stuff:

Ed McClements

Supporter
Merlin Motorsports and Demon Tweeks in the UK both sell seat foam kits. At least one of them uses a large bag of poly beads in addition to the two-part resin, which might be better if you're casting a sports car seat, rather than a single-seater....maybe?

Last edited:

Glenn M

Supporter
Merlin Motorsports and Demon Tweeks in the UK both sell seat foam kits. At least one of them uses a large bag of poly beads in addition to the two-part resin, which be better if you're casting a sports car seat, rather than a single-seater....maybe?

Yes, I used the bead system and found it to be very good. You start with just the beads in the supplied bag. This means you can spend as long as you like getting it just as you want it, the right shape, support, removing all creases etc. Then you add the resin. The trouble with the mixed foam alternative (I have found) is that you have to get it right very quickly, and it can get very messy. Although it is cheaper.

Neil

Supporter
Foam-molded seats are snug fitting so wear your firesuit and Nomex underwear when you are forming the seat. Gain a few pounds and then you won't fit into the seat even with a shoehorn. There is nowhere for perspiration vapor to escape so it might be sweaty and clammy. The foam seats do support your body very well, though.

FCD7485D-9BEA-42E6-A995-3AD87AB6FE55.jpeg
FCD7485D-9BEA-42E6-A995-3AD87AB6FE55.jpeg

Back