Which kit is best?

I'm a new member and am looking at the different manufactures of GT40's and would like some input as to which kit is better than the others?

I know that this is like asking 10 guys, which girl is cutest? and everyone will have their reasons why they chose the kit they did.

I am a little confused and wandering between sites trying to figure out which to choose. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and I do enjoy this forum, it is the first place I go after logging on.

Thanks again,

Dave
grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
My response to you would be to do your homework and search the web for companies.

Do you know how many companies are out there making GT40 replicas? Just an off-the-cuff count from my end turns up ten (ones I consider replicas as opposed to add-on kits etc.), and I'm sure there are more than that in one includes race shops etc. that produce cars.

I'm sure with all the helpful folks on this forum you'll get some feedback. Take your time, assess what you want from the car, and then compare to what is out there.

Ron

Dave, It has taken some of years to get into the position of finally building one of these cars. My advice is to sit down and write a specification to yourself of what you want the car to be. Do you want to race it, or just shine it up in the driveway? How authentic does it have to be? How much of the work do you want to do? How much work CAN you do? How will it be paid for? Are you willing to utilize used parts? ,etc, etc, etc. Join the clubs and find the guys that build and drive the cars, get their opinions too.
Afer you have a specification in hand, begin contacting the vendors and start dialogues with the "best fits", one make of car will eventually float to the top.
have fun
Brian

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

Dave

All of the above is good advice.
The GT40 replica market is very different
than the Cobra market.

The players are for the most part very small firms scattered all over the globe
from Australia, to the UK, to South Africa,
etc. Each car is different in terms of parts and design, and the population of running GT40s in the US is TINY to say the least.

Seeing each manufacturer's completed car in person (let alone driving one) is extremely difficult, if not impossible.
That's where the Forum comes in handy
to a certain extent. But it cannot substitute
for personal experience.

Make SURE you personally examine the car you want before you buy, asking LOTS of questions from company and owners.

MikeDD

Back