Why?

Since it's pretty quiet around here, I've been internally debating whether I can and should jump into an eventual Apex build. I got to thinking about why any of us decide to build these vehicles. It's certainly not a necessity, if it were I would pick something already built and with more utility. Even if I wanted something in the same $ range with decent performance, I could be looking at a 370Z, STI, used Vette, and so on. When I consider things like the mortgage, paying for kid's college, home remodel work needed and so on, I wonder if I'm being smart by trying this. On the other hand, it would likely be a great learning experience, I'll have something unique that not many others do, and if I'm going to undertake something like this I should do it while I can.

So I'm still figuring out what it is that drives me to want to do this and whether the desire should or shouldn't be overruled by practicality. I want to make sure if I pull the trigger that I don't regret it later on. It'd be my first time building something this involved and I want to be glad I did so.

I thought I would therefore put the question out to those of you who have already built or are building/awaiting building your SLC, GT40, Cobra, or what have you - what drove you to make that decision and have you been glad you did so? Any regrets?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Edit - if you have the disposable income, read further. If not, dream on...

Anyone can buy/own a Vette, STI, etc car. Almost anyone an own a replica that was built for them or any other SuperCar that was built for them. To buy the components and build your own is special. Not only is it special to you but to others as well..
Because when they ask you questions about the car, you can speak with clear authority as a subject matter expert.

For me the added bonus is really one of the deciding factors - it is/was more about the journey than the destination...

Howard Jones

Supporter
The best part is the people you will get to know. My best friends are all car guys and their families.

Join a club, Shelby, Cobra, Corvette, whatever. They all have a group of guys and gals that are nice and friendly and will to help all they can.

Just good family fun. AND you get a cool car in the bargain. Can't beat that.

By the way where in Calif are you?

I've been reasonably fortunate and have a few vehicles, but the only ones I can take full enjoyment over receiving compliments are the ones that I built myself. I always feel somewhat like a tool, when I get compliments on something I've just written a check to obtain. I'm not saying others should or do feel this way, but its my perspective. I acknowledge their compliment and respond similar on the outside in either case, but internally the reward is quite different.

Now, I haven't built one of the previously mentioned cars, but have tube chassis cars and custom pro touring cars that are just as "impractical and overly funded". Don't build one to sale or make financial sense over, build one for the passion and the dream. If you do it for the right reasons, then you will likely own it for a long time and this can then make financial sense over flipping depreciating used sports cars. We only live once so if you can fit it into the family plan, then why not? Makes more financial sense than buying a new sports car every 2-3 years without doubt.

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. Randy, I particularly like the part about it being about the journey (not the 80's band mind you!). That sentiment certainly fits a number of things I already do.

Howard, I'm on the Central Coast - Buellton/Goleta depending on home vs. work.

I think I've been a car guy on the inside since I was a kid, but never have had a chance to be one in the flesh. It's always been vicariously through others. I needed to be more practical at that moment, didn't have the funds, had other things taking my time, etc. My vehicles have been mostly of the tool variety, with the most fun being a '73 2002 (great car, but at >$400 everytime something broke that I couldn't fix, not good for a 20yr old!). Edit - I've always been interested in good engineering and I think I have a bit of that mentality even though I'm on the operations side at work.

I'm curious if there have been regrets over getting into a build, but then again I'm probably asking the wrong crowd on this site! Not sure if I have the means and ability to make this happen, but hopeful.

The one thing I've learned almost 4 builds later is, unless you're a great fabricator or willing to settle, you better be prepared to have a vacuum cleaner attached to your wallet, lol.

I decided to keep track of the build costs on my 917 down to the exact penny (last builds were just done ho-hum whatever it cost it costs, didn't keep track) and even though I don't have the car in my driveway yet I'm like... :shocked:

Other than that, no regrets.....yet....as long as a wheel hub or spindle doesn't come flying off down the freeway because I forgot to tighten it :D

Not to mention the unique satisfaction of doing it yourself, your way!

When it comes to me, I'm not certain if that's a benefit or not.

Danger - Alexisisisiisisisis busy at engineering :D

Michael Fling

Supporter
I think it boils down to your passion. For me, a prototype style car trips my trigger, thus an Ultima GTR or an SLC has been my focus. Then it boils down to the mission. What is it used for? For me, I still have not decided if I want a track car or a street/track car. No doubt, the journey is more important than the end product. I would never tackle a project with the thought of recovering any of my money. I can't begin to tell you how much money I have spent on racing with me and my son???? But those memories really are priceless. My intent is to pass the car that I build along to my son. (I leave tomorrow to visit Fran's shop). Having said all of that, It is easy to justify the journey, racing and the memories when you have the money to afford it. In today's economy, cash is king. It isn't "if" I can buy it, it is more about "if I can afford it". It is kinda like gambling...only bet what you can afford to lose.

Now- I have to go to bed so I can get some rest so I can travel to Michigan tomorrow with my wife on Valentines day so I can justify to both of us why I need this car. LOL. It's the journey!

Since it's pretty quiet around here, I've been internally debating whether I can and should jump into an eventual Apex build. I got to thinking about why any of us decide to build these vehicles. It's certainly not a necessity, if it were I would pick something already built and with more utility. Even if I wanted something in the same $ range with decent performance, I could be looking at a 370Z, STI, used Vette, and so on. When I consider things like the mortgage, paying for kid's college, home remodel work needed and so on, I wonder if I'm being smart by trying this. On the other hand, it would likely be a great learning experience, I'll have something unique that not many others do, and if I'm going to undertake something like this I should do it while I can.

So I'm still figuring out what it is that drives me to want to do this and whether the desire should or shouldn't be overruled by practicality. I want to make sure if I pull the trigger that I don't regret it later on. It'd be my first time building something this involved and I want to be glad I did so.

I thought I would therefore put the question out to those of you who have already built or are building/awaiting building your SLC, GT40, Cobra, or what have you - what drove you to make that decision and have you been glad you did so? Any regrets?

Interesting that you posed this question as I was/have been mulling similar questions over in my mind in regards to an SLC build. I really, really, really want an SLC. Heck, I have probably read every RCR thread at least three times (seriously) and practically have it all planned out in my head. I have the disposable income to pay for it, and I do agree that it would be an awesome journey of a build with the final pay off being what most everyone here wants...something absolutely unique that no one else has.

The only downside to the journey would be the length of the journey itself. I am an instant gratification kind of guy and sometimes it crosses my mind that I could, for example, purchase a new C7 Vette later this year and drive it for 2 years before I could save, order, take delivery, and build my own SLC because I have spent the past 3 years trying to dig out of med school and PA school (wife) debt. I think you also have to consider the likelihood of resale in the future. Assuming you will eventually get the itch for something different, I would venture to guess that you will lose more money on a replica build than another sports car. I may be WAY off base there but that would be my initial hunch.
EDIT: I just read Michael's reply and I do like the idea of handing down the car. I really like Chuck and Ryan's GT40 build, father and son building a couple cars together.

I agree with your "do it while I can" sentiment. I'll be turning 33 in a few weeks, we have talked about kids in the next couple years, and I don't want to wait until I'm in my mid 40's or 50's to be enjoying a great sports car when I should be now.

So where am I??? Craving the SLC and trying to beat the Vette idea out of my head.:bash:

Todd- What is Team Acacia?

I went to UCO in Edmond for undergrad and was in the Acacia fraternity. Our freshman or sophomore year we designed a golf themed t-shirt and we titled the shirt "Team Acacia". Since this was before the time when the university gave everyone their own email address, I ended up using the name "teamacacia" for my email and have since used it for all the forums I have joined whether it be golf, guns, cars, etc.

Interestingly, I still have that old shirt and boy is it comfy.

EDIT: Michael, I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back. I am still hoping to head up to Detroit in a few months when the weather is a bit nicer.

Alex, this statement:

The one thing I've learned almost 4 builds later is, unless you're a great fabricator or willing to settle, you better be prepared to have a vacuum cleaner attached to your wallet, lol.

and your experience at this gives me some pause. I'm not willing to settle, definitely can't vacuum the wallet, and I don't know if I'm a great fabricator. I've made stuff, some for the house and lots for bicycles including some of my own stuff, some modified production things, and plenty of race wheels built from scratch. (Cycling is my main pastime.) I enjoy that kind of thing, but not sure if I have the time to do a lot of it and I don't have anything like drill presses, lathes, mills, welders.

I tend to not look at things I want (as opposed to need) as "can" or "can't" afford it. Many things can be afforded depending on what one's willing to give up, so I like to think of it more as "should I". In other words, what am I forgoing to do this? I wouldn't have put so much into bikes over the years if it was on a need basis.

I'm enough of a perfectionist (some might say OCD!) personality that I usually won't settle to get something faster. I have to say reading over everyone's build threads and seeing the cool features being put in certainly doesn't help to discourage me!

I'm okay with a little convincing of my wife that we should do this, as long as she's fully bought in before we start. What I want to avoid is going too far in convincing myself, as opposed to knowing. I feel like I'm 75% there.

"I'm not willing to settle" Won't a Vette or STI be settling?

That is where I've been and where I'm coming from. Like Doc above, coming out of grad school debts I first played with Mustangs. Then kids came and that put off the "super" cars even further so I played and became addicted to air cooled Porsches. I now have a stable of both, but they are all me settling for a dream (as my neighbor dusted my 911 with his Lambo up our hill) LOL.

So sometimes alternatives work and sometimes they just don't itch the scratch as they are just you trying to settle.

"I'm not willing to settle" Won't a Vette or STI be settling?

In some ways perhaps, but in many ways for me, no. I've never owned anything with much in the way of performance:

'65 Bug
'73 2002
early 90's B2200 P/U (can't even recall the year!)
'00 Xterra, which I still have as my main ride w/ 195K on it. Still love it for what it does - haul me, friends, and outdoor junk all over the place.

And that's really it. Any of the above will be a huge step up for me.

My stable would be bikes, outdoor gear, and other such toys.

Hey Tom,

This is my first car build too. I decided right up front...that this is not a practical route to take for transportation. 370's and Vettes aren't really "practical" cars either.

Truthfully...I don't like any practical cars. Well, I guess the Corolla is...ok... :lipsrsealed:

Any regrets?

Nope!

Alex, this statement:

and your experience at this gives me some pause. I'm not willing to settle, definitely can't vacuum the wallet, and I don't know if I'm a great fabricator. I've made stuff, some for the house and lots for bicycles including some of my own stuff, some modified production things, and plenty of race wheels built from scratch. (Cycling is my main pastime.) I enjoy that kind of thing, but not sure if I have the time to do a lot of it and I don't have anything like drill presses, lathes, mills, welders.

I tend to not look at things I want (as opposed to need) as "can" or "can't" afford it. Many things can be afforded depending on what one's willing to give up, so I like to think of it more as "should I". In other words, what am I forgoing to do this? I wouldn't have put so much into bikes over the years if it was on a need basis.

I'm enough of a perfectionist (some might say OCD!) personality that I usually won't settle to get something faster. I have to say reading over everyone's build threads and seeing the cool features being put in certainly doesn't help to discourage me!

I'm okay with a little convincing of my wife that we should do this, as long as she's fully bought in before we start. What I want to avoid is going too far in convincing myself, as opposed to knowing. I feel like I'm 75% there.

I just own a drill, sander and jigsaw (seriously) and I'm doing fine ... at least I think am :drunk:

Anyways, don't let me get you down - when I started building kit cars a few years ago I didn't even own a wrench set; heck, I'd never changed a tire in my entire life; so my experiences are vastly different than most on here who've either wrenched on cars, built something (anything, lol) else, know how to weld, etc... etc...

Back