Winged Dzus fasteners

Right, I have finally managed to get the Dzus wing made at great expense and also managed to buy the last 45 EHF6-60 Dzus fasteners from Southco.

Dzus fasteners, when you go to buy them from a manufacturer like Southco, come in pieces and you have to specify the central part in the correct length and head type and then the escutcheon plate it goes through and then the spring.
You need a special tool to fix the central part into the escutcheon so that it does not come out.
Minimum quantity is 1000 pieces of each item so it gets prohibitively expensive, but Southco managed to find me some correct, to GT40, old stock already made up, this is how I ended up with 45 of them.
My next step is to bronze weld the wing into the top of the central part. To do this the spring needs to come off, which it does quite easily by unwinding it over the head. Next I will make a little jig to hold the wing perpendicular to the head and also at the correct height.
Sorry the pictures are a little blurred but it is as hard as hell to get the camera to focus.
For those of you who want wings pm me.
I will be making a set of 4 winged fasteners for my car and I will report back on how much they cost me. They will be bronze welded, cleaned and linished back and then zinc plated.

Attachments

• DSC02947.JPG
    DSC02947.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC02923.JPG
    DSC02923.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC02927.JPG
    DSC02927.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 483

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Whichever hot method you use to fit your Dzus wings you will need to make sure that you don't anneal those stud ejector springs.
Your safety depends on it.

Hello James

The spring unwinds off the fastener.

I put a good post up about 3 weeks ago on what I was going to do with pictures, but it dissappeared off to the administrators and has not been put up so I have given up.

I have had the wings cut now so if anyone wants some pm me.

I also bought some original Dzus fatseners from Southco. Obviously I had to buy in bulk so I lots of those too.

I will get round to making a set of winged fasteners soon and when I have worked it out I can make some up for people if they want

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hello James

The spring unwinds off the fastener.

I put a good post up about 3 weeks ago on what I was going to do with pictures, but it dissappeared off to the administrators and has not been put up so I have given up.

Hello Adrian,

That is what I meant but I was not clear.
It's also best to put those springs back on after plating.

Have you got the original Dzus ejector types with the 'raised heads' ?

All the best,

Hello Adrian,

That is what I meant but I was not clear.
It's also best to put those springs back on after plating.

Have you got the original Dzus ejector types with the 'raised heads' ?

All the best,

The Dzus fasteners have flat heads and were supplied under the original part number of EHF 6-60 by Southco who supplied the originals.

Adrian

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Adrian
Agreed, EHF6-60 are correct for the bulkhead panels - and the originals being aluminium are pretty tough to a get a hold of with the correct Dzus stamp now so I made my own.
The studs for these winged body shell fasteners were obviously specially made and needed to be longer than 0.600".

Can you tell me how you are fitting your springs with the 600s to fasten down your front vent panel ? Top hats in the vent opening perhaps.
I will be using something about 0.375 min. longer than the - 60s, say EHF6-100s to get the stud right down into the seal well in the front clip opening.

Adrian
Agreed, EHF6-60 are correct for the bulkhead panels - and the originals being aluminium are pretty tough to a get a hold of with the correct Dzus stamp now so I made my own.
The studs for these winged body shell fasteners were obviously specially made and needed to be longer than 0.600".

Can you tell me how you are fitting your springs with the 600s to fasten down your front vent panel ? Top hats in the vent opening perhaps.
I will be using something about 0.375 min. longer than the - 60s, say EHF6-100s to get the stud right down into the seal well in the front clip opening.

Hello James

Yes I know they are on the short side. My pig tails have been put on the top of the glass fibre of the front clip with a steel pop rivet going through into a washer. I have been down the Mulsanne straight at 180 plus and they are still there. I know if your body material is thick you have to use longer ones. The only problem is you have to buy them by the 1000, (from Southco) and then buy the surround, spring, pig tail and crimping tool separately.
As far as I can see, whilst looking at original bodies, the EHF 6-60 was used because the material the clips are made from is much thinner, if I am not mistaken,but I stand to be corrected.

Adrian

These are said to be NOS GT40 ones is that correct?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 623
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    227 KB · Views: 580
Hello Nick
I should think those fasteners are original with that part number on them. Southco told me that the part number was dropped a long time ago.
It would be a shame to bronze weld over the part number.
Some one going for originality might be very interested in them.

Adrian

Adrian, are your wings ( lever) carbon steel or stainless?

Hello Rod

I have had them laser profile cut in mild steel, our English spec for the steel is MS CR4 2

In my experience I have found bronze welding stainless steel to be problematic. Also getting stainless zinc coated or chromed over here is a problem too.

So I stayed safe

OK...I have managed to make a batch. I have media blasted some of them but the compressor electric motor has burnt out so now I have to wait to get it repaired, but anyway here are some pictures. As soon as I have all of them cleaned up I will get them zinc plated. I have yet to work out how much they have cost me but I will work that out and let the relevant party's know.

Attachments

• DSC02947.JPG
    DSC02947.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC03159.JPG
    DSC03159.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC03158.JPG
    DSC03158.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 502
Let me know I would like a set !
Hello John
Are you after a set of 4 or do you need more, as I need to send them all off to the zinc platers at the same time as there are minimum charges and I want to get all of them done at the same time.
Are you happy with the length of the EHF6 - 60, because I cannot get another length without buying them in the thousands.
Adrian

Back