Wish me luck on my project.........

I have decided after a little bit of thought that I may as well have a go at creating the model of my concept car myself using the old method of creating 2d slices of the model and mounting them to a base and infilling with foam and then finishing by hand. I know this is going to take ages to do rather than having the model machined from one foam block on a CNC machine but it will also cost me considerably less money (and I guess I can afford mistakes i.e. they will be my own and I can also take as much time as I like doing this). This also affords me more capitol to fund engine and chassis builds. I reckon I should start building a frame and base for the model probably June/July time (as it is bloody freezing at the moment!!!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Hey - good luck. I'm doing the same. At first I was going to make the body pieces first, then the frame. Now I'm thinking I'll make the frame first since there is so much more involved. I figured that having the body pieces first would make it easier to make sure the roll cage and other areas of the frame fit better. But then I figured I can make the frame first, then start with a cardboard and wood mockup of the frame to the exact dimensions to begin a body buck. Either way I know it will fit.

Have you started on a frame yet?

Good luck with your project, my only advice would be not to get sidetracked, I was lucky enough to find uncompleted project by a past master, I have found the whole process of tracking down parts and continuing development very rewarding.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jkyle69 (John)
in another thread You think about selling Your car. Is that so and why don`t You post some pictures? Would make it easier for buyers to answer Your price-thoughts.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am going to have the model split 10mm apart and then infilling with foam, then shaping and then an epoxy filler. I am going to take a plan view and create a frame with a wood base over a mig welded rhs frame with adjustagle height castors so i can work on different surfaces. I think it will be a hard slog but will give a lot of satisfaction to try and do it this way ---- man needs a hobby......!!!

Back