Would you do this?

I just bought the black rapier SLC that has been listed here.
Seller is located in Boston - flying out tomorrow to take possession.
Would you drive it back to Atlanta? I really would like to but maybe common sense should prevail?

I'd be careful to avoid NYC and it's rotten roads. The potholes there are big enough to swallow a moose. Maybe stay on the side roads and make a nice trip back?

As to whether or not the car can make the trip back easily, I assume you are doing or have done a PPI? If not, maybe take it to a local shop where it can be checked out for the basics (leaks, correct fluid levels, tire pressure, etc) and then enjoy the trip.

There are several owners along the way, so if you get stuck, some of us may be able to help.

I found a shipper to pick up tomorrow with an enclosed trailer. Given the time constraints this is probably the best plan. I want to get it home and some maintenance and fluid flushes before I get on the road.

Thanks again for the advise.

A couple of years ago I bought that SL-C that went thru the Monterrey auction. I flew there with the expectation of driving this very new and very well built car back to Utah and Miller Motorsport. The car was fully titled and street legal. So I drove the car around a little in Monterrey and said, No way! Everything about the car was just too foreign to myself, and the reliability was so completely unknown. So I had the car shipped, and 4 days later it arrived at Miller Motorsport completely safe and without worry.

The car has now always proven itself as completely reliable, but I am so happy that I got to learn about the car,.. and its reliability, in very secure ways and environments, and NOT while worrying about every new noise and bump.

For those of you who build these great cars, it is quite simple for you to grasp and understand what is going on with the car at all times. But to jump into one as a complete cherry to the SL-C, and then drive hundreds and hundreds of miles thru all kinds of traffic and road quality, can seem more than a little intimidating.

Stuck in the middle of huge busy traffic with a broken down, expensive supercar, and not knowing anything about the car, nor the place where you have broken down,.. makes for a very NOT fun moment.

Same issue for me.
I was looking at the prospect of an 1100 mile trip in a car I don't know and driving mostly at night. The idea of sitting on the side of the road in anywhere, USA convinced me otherwise.

Shipper is picking up tomorrow at two and they tell me if will be in Atlanta sometime Monday. Just enough time to get the garage ready.

I've waited two years for it - I can wait another 4 days :)

Good call, for all of the reasons listed. Imagine getting stranded for some minor (but unknown to you) reason, and having to rely on whatever talent happens to be in that area, to sort out a car that is unfamiliar to EVERYONE involved. Now imagine doing this in the middle of the night. That's the kind of experience that could permanently sour you on a wonderful vehicle.

The cheapest way to pay for anything is with money.

JR

Congrats on the new car. Nice engine bay parts/interior. It took me about 400 miles or so to really get comfortable/acquainted with the car. The car rides differently than anything I've had before. It's also taken me a bit to get the seat/pedal/steering wheel set-up exactly where I need it. If the car is already titled your way ahead of the game getting it on the street.

Be safe -- what's your name BTW

Back