ZF pantera transaxle?

Paul, nice to here you guys have started your car.And yes I felt the same way when I could not aford a real gt-40.Fiberfab has a bad name to alot of purist, but quess what,I believe if it's not a real original gt-40 it's still a kit, replica, continuation or what ever you want to call it. Now I hope I did not upset to many people on this forum with my statement. I think that most if not all the people on this forum are car lovers and builders and if we all bought a gt-40 back in the late sixties or seventies we would still build a car that cost way over our budget and take to long to build. Good luck and if I can help let me know.
leavergt

Paul, one more thing about your zf. Mine was built by rbt about eight years ago and was built to be inverted. My problem was that I have a dry sump motor that is set so low in the car I had to cut off the bottom or the bellhousing. I used kennedy bellhousing also. I used a mccload dual disc floater and aluminum flywheel set up.This is a small unit so I was able to cut off the bottom of the bellhousing.When I was done cuttin I made a 1/4" plate and welded it to the cut off section of bellhousing to stregthen it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I just picked up my pantera stuff. The guy told me he had to have the transaxle tuned upside down to use it. I wonder if it was GT40 to begin with.
Paul

If it was going into a sand rail, I would not be surprised if you find out it was truly inverted. The sand rail crowd uses these ZF trannies, too, and they would want the lowered center of gravity that the inversion provides.

Not sure what's going on, I can't see any of your pics....all I see is a small box with a red X inside. Obviously others can see them, otherwise they would not have recongnized your first photo as being that of an Audi transaxle....maybe a setting in my CP is awry, I'll investigate.

The first mid-engined car I ever saw was a Valkyrie....saw it in the late 1960's/early 1970's in Denver, CO. I've been a fan of the mid-engined design ever since and the IMHO Valkyrie was one fine looking "GT40 replica", although nowhere near as accurate as the currently available offerings. There is another individual on the forum who is building up a Valkyrie, I'll see if I can find him in my PM box and send you a link to his threads.

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted the reply above :embarassed:.....Paul's last presence on the forum was in Feb, 09 according to the stats on his profile.....DUUUUH :uhoh:!!!!!

Doug

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I must admit I don't pay much attention to the posting dates and too made the mistake of emailing Mark for the instruction file.

Who else on the forum would have a copy of the ERA instructions on how to do the ZF flip they could share?

Thanks,

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
FWIW I found the build manual online, right where you'd expect at ERA! They have a pdf of the build manual on their site for free if you just want the descriptive of whats required without photos. Download for $30 if you need the visual aids they refer to.

http://www.erareplicas.com/freeman/gt.pdf

Last edited:
Back