ZF Transaxle information wanted

Vinny P

Supporter
Good evening,
I located a ZF transaxle this is the information I have:
It's a fresh rebuild ZF-2 5 speed transaxle with all the upgrades.

It has 0 miles on the rebuild with standard gearing, I have the same gearing setup for a GT40 and is great. It has a 4.22:1 limited slip. Unit has been rebuilt, flipped and safety wired.

Gear Ratios:
1st - 2.23
2nd - 1.47
3rd - 1.04
4th - .846
5th - .705
R. 2.86
R&P. 4.22
Seller is asking $7000. Is it worth it? I also reached out to RBT for a new ZF but have not heard back from Lloyd. Does anyone know what a new ZF set up for the GT40 costs?
I am also in the process of ordering a 351/427 stroker between 550-600HP for my RCR GT40 that I ordered
DSC_003.jpg
about a week ago can the ZF handle the HP? Thanks in advance for any information .

Vinny,

Expect double or more for a new one....in 9-12 months.

600 HP....depends on what you want to do with it...Hard launch drag racing with good grip...not likely. Road racing/open track events....likely will survive for a short time time if shifted gently and expertly . Street driving to the cars and coffee...probably.

2 cents.....500 hp/550 tq would be my recommendation for a ZF.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In my opinion if it’s real and can back up the work with receipts. And it for sure exists and not a scam. It’s worth it. As Jim says, they don’t take a lot of abuse.

Regards Brian

Vinny P

Supporter
Thanks for getting back to me. When I first decided to pull the trigger on the RCR GT40 about a week ago I thought I would be getting the car in about 4 months or so but I found out when ordering that it will be 7-8 months out if all goes well. (wishful thinking)

Originally I was planning on a 427 stroker/w Borla EFI 450-500HP so I also ordered a rebuilt G96/01 from RCR. Taking your advice I guess I can either upgrade the transmission or keep the HP below 550HP. I thought the ZF could handle more than that.

I am not going to race the car just enjoy it locally, getting up at the crack of dawn and running it down the parkway now and then. I'd rather make it bullet proof (sorta speaking) by over building and under driving, as I'd rather be driving it more than repairing it.

What transaxles do you suggest if I decide to go with the 600HP? Also looking to simplify the build with less fabricating but it seems there will be some fabricating no matter which set up I use.

Thanks again,
Vinny

Ron McCall

Supporter
I've built several Panteras and GT40s with 650-750hp . I have tracked and raced them and have yet to actually break one.
I think the one that you found is most likely a scam. Going rate is twice what you stated.

Ron

Vinny P

Supporter
My current race car is 720hp/650tq.
I had a feeling it could be a scam. I saw this ZF while researching some information, my first thought was why this ZF had not been sold yet. Following some of the threads on GT40 the ZF seems to be very much in demand. Thats why I jumped on here to find out the value and get some input. Thank you

Next time I am near RBT Transmission's purported location I am going to drop by the place to see what and who is there. Lots of threads on this Forum (and personal experience) about unreturned email messages and/or full mailboxes so you couldn't leave voice mail. So many excuse this, but perhaps a better thing to do is to make it known that this is rude treatment of people, especially given the cost of this box.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Rick

Supporter
I've built several Panteras and GT40s with 650-750hp . I have tracked and raced them and have yet to actually break one.
I think the one that you found is most likely a scam. Going rate is twice what you stated.

Ron

Ron, what mods have you done to your ZF to get it to handle that power?

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ron, what mods have you done to your ZF to get it to handle that power?
The current one has more modifications than any of the previous boxes ( 300m input shaft, straight cut 4th gear, external cooler and an M1 case) because of the torque and the fact that it is a race car and not a street car.
None of the others had any of these things and were used on the street as well as the race track.

Ron

The current one has more modifications than any of the previous boxes ( 300m input shaft, straight cut 4th gear, external cooler and an M1 case) because of the torque and the fact that it is a race car and not a street car.
None of the others had any of these things and were used on the street as well as the race track.

Ron
Hi Ron, Interesting that you went to a straight cut 4th gear. How long have you had that and who made the gear for you? We had a discussion about that weakness in the past when I broke two 4th gears during track days.

Vinny P

Supporter
Next time I am near RBT Transmission's purported location I am going to drop by the place to see what and who is there. Lots of threads on this Forum (and personal experience) about unreturned email messages and/or full mailboxes so you couldn't leave voice mail. So many excuse this, but perhaps a better thing to do is to make it known that this is rude treatment of people, especially given the cost of this box.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
I still have not heard back from RBT, I'm done with them! I just secured a ZF gearbox rebuilt with LSD. Prices are getting out of control on these boxes.

I have a ZF in my CAV GT40 setup up like this one with the 4:22 final drive. 408 Stroker with 550HP and works great. Car was built in 2012.

Attachments

• CAV GT40 Car 169.jpg
    CAV GT40 Car 169.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Oct 30 2021 K.jpg
    Oct 30 2021 K.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Ford 408 Stroker.jpg
    Ford 408 Stroker.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 213
Back