ZFQ transaxle failure

Just thinking.... when you have an auto gearbox where conventional 3 bolts transferring the force from the crankshaft / flex plate to the torque converter and then the auto gearbox which has to be cooled down all the time...and how much of that crankshaft force is lost or better said transferred in to heat...

Paul

Just thinking.... when you have an auto gearbox where conventional 3 bolts transferring the force from the crankshaft / flex plate to the torque converter and then the auto gearbox which has to be cooled down all the time...and how much of that crankshaft force is lost or better said transferred in to heat...

Paul
The bolt circle dia @ the crank is ~ 3" or so, whereas the circle dia @ torque converter is approx 9 or 10". The torque converter actually does a great job of cooling trans fluid and drilling in pump body is only about .200" or so. The cooler lines to radiator heat exchangers are larger and flow larger amounts of fluid. Lock up style convertors in more recent decades have helped with lower engine RPM at cruise speeds. Be interesting to talk with some who were involved with the auto versions Ford played with around the time of the T44. On the stock cars we ran a modified 2 spd power glide with a 3 position 'tap', No Converter, , just turn the tap 'on' hit the throttle & go.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jac, I was told and had it explained to me at the time, it was long enough ago that my age has forgotten the answer, that the torque effect in the gearbox is greater in the taller gears. I.E. a gearbox in fifth (.80) would have a higher probability of failure than in 1st (2.5) for example. It was something like the torque applied to internals is reduced by the inverse of the gear ratio so in our example the 2.5 1st would reduce to 1/4 the total torque and in 5th the torque would be 20% greater than the total engine output. Or something like that..............maybe I had too many beers...............

Last edited:
Jac, I was told and had it explained to me at the time, it was long enough ago that my age has forgotten the answer, that the torque effect in the gearbox is greater in the taller gears. I.E. a gearbox in fifth (.80) would have a higher probability of failure than in 1st (2.5) for example. It was something like the torque applied to internals is reduced by the inverse of the gear ratio so in our example the 2.5 1st would reduce to 1/4 the total torque and in 5th the torque would be 20% greater than the total engine output. Or something like that..............maybe I had too many beers...............
YUP, I think, will answer later when my head stops spinning.

Would be interested to know if in this car, do the lower bolts in the bell housing connect the gearbox / bell housing to the lower K-member. I see many GT40's that omit this connection and in my opinion this is not good at all. Under load, the connection can flex. Hit a tire wall head on and you might get another unwelcome visitor to the cockpit.

As my ZFQ is in bits what are my options? An RBT ZF also usually break. A Hewland LG600, will it fit a Mk 1 GT40? A UN1 case with SADEV internals I believe will fit a GT40. I'm using a sill 5sp dogleg shift and hope to keep that configuration.

As my ZFQ is in bits what are my options? An RBT ZF also usually break. A Hewland LG600, will it fit a Mk 1 GT40? A UN1 case with SADEV internals I believe will fit a GT40. I'm using a sill 5sp dogleg shift and hope to keep that configuration.
I would Ring Holinger in Melbourne and ask them if they are doing something. When I visited last, Rusty French had two ZF’s in there getting rebuilt for his Pantera’s.
Holinger were also busy tooling up for a number of other gearboxes that were starting to transition into the historic racing categories. This was a few years back.
They mentioned some details about where they get their steel billet from and we’re very selective of the steel mills.
They may be able to advise

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A UN1 has overhung 5th so great torque will prize the shafts apart and strip the cogs.

Thinking on this does your bell housing have the top and bottom chassis mounting bolypts or only the top? And was the box correctly aligned with the crank ….some need offset dowels

If you are willing to relocate the engine slightly and ideally modifying the "horsecollar" it should be possible to fit a graziano. The picture is with the engine in its original position (if i recall right) and no steel modifications.

Attachments

• received_6053653984666211~2.jpg
    received_6053653984666211~2.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 84
Another thought... I know next to nothing about them, but PFITZNER in Australia have a dog box 6 speed transaxle that appears to use some WINTERS components... price is getting up there though. Not even sure it would fit in the GT40 space.

Back