SPF GT40 handling?

I see that Foowowee and DaveM are accumulating some track time on theirs.

Question: How is the handling on these as received? Are you running the suspension and steering as setup by High-Tech or did you or your retailer do any sorting out?

Thanks

Alan, I wouldn't call what I've been doing "tracking the car". Just taking some spirited parade laps. No alterations from stock that I'm aware of, besides the Nittos. But I was impressed with the handling. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

Mike

Alan, my Dad and I have a few track days on the GT-40. As delivered to us (second owner) the toe was out of whack and the front camber was almost 0 deg. We had the car realigned but I didn't get the specs...I'll see if the shop that did the work still has them.

For the track;

I felt the anti sway bars and suspension damping are too soft - rebound and compression. Especially the rear. I think we're going to revalve the rear dampers??

There is quite a bit of understeer, not such a bad thing for most people (myself included)

The chassis feels very rigid and stable.

The sidewall on the OE tires are really squishy. No surprise there.

We had too much fun driving the new GT and The SPF GT-40 back to back! Heres a pic...

Attachments

• GT and GT-40 track resize.jpg
    GT and GT-40 track resize.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,060
Jeff, that is pretty neat pic. Too bad it wasn't a closer shot to see some detail on the cars. I'm assuming the GT40 is a Windsor based 427. How did it pull against the GT?
I'm sure the GT was easier to drive, but which car did you have more fun driving?

Mike

As European SPF importer we just have developed a complete set of fully adjustable coilover shocks, different spring rates, adjustable rebound and adjustable compression with high and low speed settings.
Final pricing will be available shortly.

Herman Eshuis

Jeff, that is pretty neat pic. Too bad it wasn't a closer shot to see some detail on the cars. I'm assuming the GT40 is a Windsor based 427. How did it pull against the GT?
I'm sure the GT was easier to drive, but which car did you have more fun driving?

Mike

Well, when I drive the GT it is much faster than the GT-40 and when I drive the GT-40 it is much faster than the GT. :D

My Dad is a bit more conservative on the track than I am, so I honestly don't know which car accelerates faster. If I had to guess I would say the GT-40 is a bit quicker but all the noise could make it feel faster than it is!?

Given a choice of which car to track I'd choose the GT...my Dad, the GT-40. I think the GT-40 gives you more warning before loss of control than the GT that's probably due to the generous sidewall on the GT-40? My dad spun both cars (no damage), he commented about how quickly he was facing the wrong way on the track in the GT. No squeal from the tires, just instantly backwards. BTW, I happened to be looking in the side mirror when he spun. :) Thats one image I won't soon forget!

My dad spun both cars (no damage), he commented about how quickly he was facing the wrong way on the track in the GT. No squeal from the tires, just instantly backwards.

Hmmmm . . . . . Not good. Any sports or race car should give you warning before it lets go. Sudden snap oversteer is not a good thing.

Interesting that all the car magazine reports on the Ford GT never mentioned this idiosyncrasy. Either they never pushed the car that hard (they are expensive), or they were afraid they would alienate an advertiser.

Somelee

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,

I sincerely do not believe this is any issue with the GT or GT-40, rather inexperience on the drivers part. :)

usually a problem with the right foot. The supercharger delivers so much low end torque (and some of us have a Whipple on there) that unless you squeeze the throttle smoothly coming out of a corner you could lose it. As an owner of both a SPF Mark I and a Ford GT I can say both cars are a blast to track. The GT is obviously more refined in terms of brakes and suspension.....but the 40 seems very well balanced to me. The tall side walls on the stock 15" do give a false sense of body roll.....I'm going to try some 17"'s with some Hoosiers next week just so I can see what the suspension is REALLY like.

both cars are awesome and I feel very lucky to own one of each.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I bought a roller without any sorting out, and found all those little red marks are just for looks, the car must be set up in order to handle correctly. The question is what is correct settings? My car gets light in the front about 130. I hope to take it to Olthoff someday and let him sort it out for me.

it doesnt seem to me that anyone steps forth that is a serious roadracer.
no offense to present company, but i havent read anyone posting too much technical info on setup and backed up by actual improvement times via a data logger or such.
it seems the people who post abt their track experience are mainly on the track for fun and arent really pushing the car. again, no offense to anyone.
the point is, we cant even begin to set these cars up until someone who really knows what their doing puts some serious laps on them and identifies a problem if one exists and then finds a solution.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
1. Are these car intended to be real race cars?

2. Of all the members in here, how many are going to actually race their car - and if they do, what series is it they run that could justify all the time and expense of going for that last few tenths?

No offense, etc.

2. Of all the members in here, how many are going to actually race their car - and if they do, what series is it they run that could justify all the time and expense of going for that last few tenths?

No offense, etc.

i didnt mean it like that. i just mean that it seems the folks who post are more or less amatuers and probably are not in the position of giving a thorough analysis of the proper setup and handling characteristics on the car as it pertains to on the track.

i would like to see someone who is a track instructor perhaps give some feedback.
i have never driven one personally. a friend of mine has and basically his only comments were along the lines of, "it doesnt handle like a noble...its fast and torquey...."
that was all he said. i believe the car he drove was on 15s.

I hope so.....however they probably wont go into too much detail as far as sorting the car out etc.....i suppose olthoff could answer that.
tiff neadle did a nice review of the car and tracked it.
he loved it.
would like to hear from others as well.

I bought a roller without any sorting out, and found all those little red marks are just for looks, the car must be set up in order to handle correctly. The question is what is correct settings?

it doesnt seem to me that anyone steps forth that is a serious roadracer. no offense to present company, but i havent read anyone posting too much technical info on setup and backed up by actual improvement times via a data logger or such. the point is, we cant even begin to set these cars up until someone who really knows what their doing puts some serious laps on them and identifies a problem if one exists and then finds a solution.

This is the crux of the issue with these cars: Nobody knows how to tune the chassis and suspension for maximum track performance. Like any race car, you/we are receiving it "as is" and it's up to the owners to sort out. As I mentioned on a previous, similar thread: The answers we are looking for may be filed away or warehoused somewhere at Ford or Shelby American. More's the pity, but that appears to be the way it is as neither Hi-Tech nor any of the retailers apparently have sorted out their prototypes or dealer demos to provide any information to the customers. And, unless you are a very experienced technical race-type, sorting it out yourself could take nearly the rest of your life.

If you own, or have driven or ridden in one of these items, they are most certainly not (save for the air conditioning) intended to be a GT or any type of boulevard cruiser. Not a race car as delivered, they most certainly have the potential --- once equipped with the necessary safety features and properly sorted out.

No offense, etc.

In another thread a year or two ago on this forum there was a discussion about what classes the SPF GT40's might be run in in SCCA racing and how to make the car legal for SCCA track work, apparently by at least a couple of experienced and knowledgeable SCCA racing-types. So there is at least some interest in the issue with the SPF items.

Perhaps more important in the broad scheme of things, if you are paying upwards of $130-140K to roll one of these cars off your dealer's lot, wouldn't you want to be able to sort it out to competitively tussle with Viper ACR's (American Club Racers), Corvette ZR1's and such at your local SCCA track days? These cars are a fraction of the cost ($100K) and, while not a vaunted GT40 (nothing is like one), are very, very cost-effective performance-wise. If I'm going to pay a premium price, I damn well want premium performance to be reasonably attainable. And right now I don't see a way that that's possible. But it just depends on yer druthers with the car. . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Back