SPF GT40 handling?

Trond, you say the steering rods wore out and the suspension balls are wearing out... how have you come to this conclusion? Did you notice unusual play in the steering, noises, ect? How many miles do you have on your car?

Re: Modifications, we have replaced the damperson our car. In my opinion a great improvement to stability. They offer compression & rebound adjustments which is nice to have the ability soften things up for a street cruise then firm it up for track use. Very happy with this change.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Trond,

I found that the lower front ball joints were not greased or not greased enough on P2125 (early on with only a few hundred miles on the car I would hear a groan when steering after a run of an hour or more). Took off the lower cups and found no grease on one side and very little on the other.

I disassembled the lower ball threaded plugs, drilled and tapped for a zerc fittings and reinstalled with red lock tite, removed suspension weight by jacking up the wheel, loosened the upper ball joint nut and greased the new fitting (grease flowed around the ball, nylon seats and out the top).

No groans and smooth motion when steering and when full suspension travel tested.

Regarding the other heim joints I keep them clean and use WD40 on them regulary (no signs of wear with now 3,000 miles on the car.

Steve

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jeff.

I had noise from the front when braking and when hitting bumps in the road. First I found the same problems others have discribes with the stabilisation rods, but the problem did not disappear after fixing this.

When examining the problem there was quite a lot of slack when bending between the hub and the steering rod with a large screwdriver. There was appx. 4-5 mm slack. I have used my car quite a lot and have nearly 20.000 km on the meter (12.000 miles), but I think this is a bit to early to wear out anyhow. The rods where changed with appx 9.000 miles on the meter.

Regards
Trond

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Trond,

For clarification please advise:

Is the steering rod you refer to the joint connecting the steering rack rod to the hub? Mine seems fine at 3,000 miles and is well greased.

Also you made referance to "suspension ball wear". Did you find as I did that the ball joints were not lubricated and if so did you install zerc fittings and grease?...As you likely know the ball is seated in replaceable nylon upper and lower seats but, there should be grease in the joint.

Steve P2125

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Trond,

For clarification please advise:

Is the steering rod you refer to the joint connecting the steering rack rod to the hub? Mine seems fine at 3,000 miles and is well greased.

Also you made referance to "suspension ball wear". Did you find as I did that the ball joints were not lubricated and if so did you install zerc fittings and grease?...As you likely know the ball is seated in replaceable nylon upper and lower seats but, there should be grease in the joint.

Steve P2125

Hi

Language difficulties....

Regarding the steering you have the correct understanding. It is the joint connecting the steering rod to the hub. I have not been looking further into the rest of the problems yet, but you have the correct understanding. I have recieved a complete set of spare parts from Hi-Tech, so I will work this out over the next months as there is winter here now. There are definately too mutch slack in some places, but I will also be sure to apply enough grease to the right places.

Thanks
Trond

Back