SPF GT40 handling?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Do you really think that an authentic replica of a 60's race car is going to be at all competitive with almost any kind of modern race car?

I have closely inspected and driven one of these cars, they are very nice, but to even think that they could be competitive without a MAJOR amount of reworking - to the point of making the resulting car just a faint resemblance of what you started with anyway - would be an expensive joke.

I take it that you race or have raced?

Do you really think that an authentic replica of a 60's race car is going to be at all competitive with almost any kind of modern race car?

I have closely inspected and driven one of these cars, they are very nice, but to even think that they could be competitive without a MAJOR amount of reworking - to the point of making the resulting car just a faint resemblance of what you started with anyway - would be an expensive joke.

hmmmm.....in the case of the superformance, why not?
i guess thats the underlying question. why wouldnt it be competitive?
in my previous posts i was really more concerned with how the car handles properly set up, cause theyre not even aligned as delivered.
but why wouldnt it be competitive?
compare it to the ford gt, since we have some folks here who have both.
the SPF weighs abt 1000 lbs less, has a shorter wheelbase, and a lower center of gravity. the chassis is ultra stiff, the brakes have stopping power, and the engines are good. im also aware of inherit downsides....
another big question, and i touched on it previously, is the tires.
no sportscar of this ilk will fare anywhere near its capabilities on the SUV tires they are delivered on.
do we have folks here that have enough experience and have had time to mess with the setup to come up with some positive improvements?
not just for racing, but so that the car is setup as good as you can for a given application.....
if you want to expand that to compare it to "modern day racecars" thats ok too.
we still need more experienced folks to comment there too.

Ron Earp

Admin
hmmmm.....in the case of the superformance, why not?
i guess thats the underlying question. why wouldnt it be competitive?
in my previous posts i was really more concerned with how the car handles properly set up, cause theyre not even aligned as delivered.
but why wouldnt it be competitive?

A more pressing question, and not just for SPF GT40s, under what sanctioning body are you going to race it? There are numerous threads on that topic on the forum. In summary in the US there are few options.

NASA has some KC classes (Kit Car), KC1 through KC5. However, there is little action in these on any given weekend. In some parts of the country the NASA franchise doesn't even run the KC classes.

SCCA has more action in most parts of the country. But in the SCCA SPO is about the only class that fits - Super Production Over, a catch all anything goes class. In this case it is doubtful an owner would be willing to make the necessary modifications to make the fuel system legal and structure to accommodate an SCCA legal cage.

And, HSR is out since the car is not a vintage automobile thus not accepted (at least not accepted via the writen rules) in this organization. I think they frown upon reproductions, particularly since their members are racing the real deal, wouldn't be quite fair.

So what to do? One can prep it for racing but I'm not sure exactly where it'll race.

it seems the people who post abt their track experience are mainly on the track for fun and arent really pushing the car.

This is certainly true in our case.

We do have a traqmate unit in the GT & GT40 to record data, but without some one who really knows how to tune the car the data retrieved is difficult to analyze. I plan to get a friend out to the track who knows the hot setup on the original GT40's (and other race cars, modern & vintage) with the expectation of getting the settings close to where they should be.

Anyone up for a SPF track day? :thumbsup: We could get my guy out there and work with setups?

I think you only have to read the posts on Iain Pretty, Ross Nichol,& Deane Lampe to 'see' how far away these cars are from being competitive modern race cars. Even lowering the ride height would bring about camber change that might require relocation of pickup points etc. In defence of SPF, how can they really set the suspension up when the finished weight is an open book at the whim of the new owner & which options he decides upon. I would imagine that an SPF with optimum 'track' setting in the suspension along with spring rates/shocks/bars to match would make you a regular patient with your dentist on mondays for filling replacement if driven on the road with race settings which incidently are not chiselled in stone, but require revision for virtually every track condition.

Where you going to race it-- I would love to know that as well, here in NZ we find ourselves at that crossroads now, there is provision in this 'Classic' racing category for 'Well constructed Replicas'. There is an awful lot of interpetation in that one word 'Well'. Nobody really wants to risk damage to a 'gen-new-wine' GT40-Porsche-Ferrari etc and the owners would love to race them on the basis of no contact, period. However there are some owners who still have a very 'competitive' streak and the odd bit of rubbin racin is OK by them as long as they are doing the rubbin.

You bring up good points.

The SPF GT40 is not a replica but is properly described as a continuation of production of the originals as it's being manufactured according to Ford's original engineering blueprints. 90%+ of the cars components can reportedly be exchanged with the originals, with the remaining obsolete, no longer available parts and components replaceable with those designed and manufactured with 21st-century technology.

This is off the top of my head, but the Mark II was clocked at 220 mph on the Mulsanne Straight at, I think, the 1966 Le Mans trials. (I know the car could do 210 mph on the shorter straights of Ford's test track in Michigan.) Even in this day and age, that's still very good race car performance --- given that the ACO (the governing body of Le Mans) required that sports-racing cars of the era to be genuinely streetable with decent ground clearance and spare tires. (And they were. The LMP classes of today are nothing of the sort and a complete joke.) So the SPF item clearly has a lot of performance potential.

But you also must remember that Ford was committed to win Le Mans at all cost and threw however much money into the effort that was required, acquiring the best technology, engineers, designers, team managers, wrenchers and drivers. Bottom line: This is the difference between Ford's racing GT40's and what we get from Superformance with, in my view, sorting out the car's handling being, far and away, the biggest challenge for good track performance for amateur motorsport activities.

No, I don't race, but in a year or so I'm going to get something high-performance and run it, in SCCA time trials (our local chapter has about a half-dozen a year, overwhelmingly attended by Corvettes) and perhaps the Silver State Classic (formerly known as the Eastern Nevada Road Race, 70 miles. Homepage Main Menu: Flat Out On A Public Highway! (home.htm)) These events don't require the heavy safety-related modifications that SCCA requires for head-to-head racing (more below as per the SPF item). My first choice would be, far and away, a SPF Mark II, but it's performance has to be sorted out to be competitive with the much less expensive competition which, as I posted yesterday in this thread, presently appears to be a nearly unsurmountable.

A more pressing question, and not just for SPF GT40s, under what sanctioning body are you going to race it? There are numerous threads on that topic on the forum. In summary in the US there are few options.

NASA has some KC classes (Kit Car), KC1 through KC5. However, there is little action in these on any given weekend. In some parts of the country the NASA franchise doesn't even run the KC classes.

SCCA has more action in most parts of the country. But in the SCCA SPO is about the only class that fits - Super Production Over, a catch all anything goes class. In this case it is doubtful an owner would be willing to make the necessary modifications to make the fuel system legal and structure to accommodate an SCCA legal cage.

And, HSR is out since the car is not a vintage automobile thus not accepted (at least not accepted via the writen rules) in this organization. I think they frown upon reproductions, particularly since their members are racing the real deal, wouldn't be quite fair.

So what to do? One can prep it for racing but I'm not sure exactly where it'll race.

I don't recall the SCCA classes that were discussed in the thread on this forum that I alluded to in my posting yesterday; you would have to track down the discussion. But both amateur racing organizations would accomodate you somewhere, although the competition in the classes might not be very large or challenging.

But, far and away, the greatest problem would be making a GT40 safety-legal in SCCA. Among other issues, the fuel tank is required to be separated from the cockpit by a bulkhead. Now a typical street car has the fuel tank outside and under the car's body and so automatically meets that criteria. But a GT40's full tanks are the sills in the cockpit (which are also structural members of the chassis). I suppose that the sills could be enclosed in substantial sheet metal enclosures to satisfy the bulkhead separation requirement, if there would still be room for the driver. But it wouldn't be easy. One racer's constructor suggested installing a fuel tank on the floor of the passenger-side of the cockpit and constructing a bulkhead between the passenger and driver's side to satisfy the requirement. Again, not something that you would probably want to do. And the roll cage: To construct an SCCA-legal roll cage in a GT40, aside from being a technical nightmare, would make it very difficult and slow to enter and exit the already snug cockpit; not palatable if you envision a crash and flameout where you would want to get out in a hurry. (Ford began installing roll cages in the GT40 after Walt Hansgen flipped one and was killed at one of the Le Mans trials, but I doubt if they were anything nearly approaching SCCA requirements.) Fuel cells: Assuming that you could satisfy the bulkhead requirement, accessing the sill fuel tanks in a fully-constructed SPF item to install them and having them custom-made would be mucho $$$$$. And on and on and on . . . . . . . .

Given the safety-modification issues and race classification problems, this isn't a direction I would want to try to go, and have never entertained doing so.

Vintage sports-racing is another issue altogether as the cars are only required to have the safety features of their era, which were in many cases almost negligible compare to what SCCA requires. When the SPF GT40's first appeared I queried one of the officials of our local vintage racing organization (HMSA), inquiring about and envisioning a class just for replicas of or continuations of vintage race cars and which would not compete against vintage race cars. Nope. Not interested. Vintage racers only. It's possible that some of the smaller of the dozen-odd vintage racing organizations in the U.S. and Canada might be interested in such a class, to boost overall participation in their organization,s if nothing else. But haven't heard of such yet.

We do have a traqmate unit in the GT & GT40 to record data, but without some one who really knows how to tune the car the data retrieved is difficult to analyze. I plan to get a friend out to the track who knows the hot setup on the original GT40's (and other race cars, modern & vintage) with the expectation of getting the settings close to where they should be.

Anyone up for a SPF track day? :thumbsup: We could get my guy out there and work with setups?

You and your Dad keep up the good work, and keep us posted as to what develops. So far you guys' track experience is all that's been posted on the the subject of this thread.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't recall the SCCA classes that were discussed in the thread on this forum that I alluded to in my posting yesterday; you would have to track down the discussion. But both amateur racing organizations would accomodate you somewhere, although the competition in the classes might not be very large or challenging.

Here are a few of the threads/discussions about racing replicas in sanctioned classes. Might be good reading for someone that is following this thread but missed out on some the details:

Cage discussion about GT40s:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec.../23765-roll-cage-information-gt40-please.html

Good cage info/discussion on my Lola with SCCA cage:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/18681-build-diary-rcr-lola-t70-spider.html

A bit of info about cells, SCCA classes in this thread:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/19805-lolas-enduro-bsfc-25-gallons-can-we-win.html

Gentlemen's racing? Not a good idea. Or, where can you race?
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/25060-amateur-racing-series.html

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree with Pat here. I love the old stuff - but it just does not hold up in comparison to today's sophisication. It's not supposed to. I have many track miles in a Ford GT which is lowered about 2 inches and has T&A Penske suspension. I’ve run Pirelli’s, Goodyear’s & Hosiers. Toss the Goodyear’s. It really does handle exceptionally well for a street car. I reference this against a fully sorted Porsche 914-6 on slicks and a decent Porsche 993. While I don’t have much track mileage in my CAV – the two are very different. The CAV is not sorted and runs mixed (squishy) Goodrich and Kumo’s (don’t ask why!) 15” tires – but was plain damn scary at a recent track day. A light front end with lots of lift at anything over 120 mph and squirrelly under braking. (check mirrors carefully before threshold braking!! Check left, check right, you don't know which way you are going to bounce - okay – b-r-a-k-e! Holy %^&*!) A day spent tweaking the suspension will pay dividends I’m sure and that’s in the works. But I don’t know it will ever come close to the FGT or even a Z06. It’s still a beautiful piece and a solid reminder how far we have come in the last 40 years. It’s worth noting that the Ford engineer who developed the FGT is a SCCA racer (several National Championships under his belt) and he also benchmarked Porsche’s 914-6 and Ferrari’s 360 as handling targets to shoot for. He accomplished that very well.

Sequitur: At a track test earlier this year in South Africa, noted driver, Sarel van der Merwe drove a CAV to a third fasted time over 13 of the fastest super productions cars in South Africa. I believe a Lambo Gallardo and the Porsche GT3 RS were marginally quicker.
See: CARtoday.com - Latest Vehicles | New Models | Latest Car Guide & Gallery South Africa

quitur: At a track test earlier this year in South Africa, noted driver, Sarel van der Merwe drove a CAV to a third fasted time over 13 of the fastest super productions cars in South Africa. I believe a Lambo Gallardo and the Porsche GT3 RS were marginally quicker.
See: CARtoday.com - Latest Vehicles | New Models | Latest Car Guide & Gallery South Africa

I can't find anything on this website except a listing of the cars; no table or tabulation of the results. Since the track work was done on an airlport runway, did they just do max speed tests or did they set up some kind of road course?

I have to agree with Pat here. I love the old stuff - but it just does not hold up in comparison to today's sophisication. It's not supposed to. I have many track miles in a Ford GT which is lowered about 2 inches and has T&A Penske suspension. I’ve run Pirelli’s, Goodyear’s & Hosiers. Toss the Goodyear’s. It really does handle exceptionally well for a street car. I reference this against a fully sorted Porsche 914-6 on slicks and a decent Porsche 993. While I don’t have much track mileage in my CAV – the two are very different. The CAV is not sorted and runs mixed (squishy) Goodrich and Kumo’s (don’t ask why!) 15” tires – but was plain damn scary at a recent track day. A light front end with lots of lift at anything over 120 mph and squirrelly under braking. (check mirrors carefully before threshold braking!! Check left, check right, you don't know which way you are going to bounce - okay – b-r-a-k-e! Holy %^&*!) A day spent tweaking the suspension will pay dividends I’m sure and that’s in the works. But I don’t know it will ever come close to the FGT or even a Z06. It’s still a beautiful piece and a solid reminder how far we have come in the last 40 years. It’s worth noting that the Ford engineer who developed the FGT is a SCCA racer (several National Championships under his belt) and he also benchmarked Porsche’s 914-6 and Ferrari’s 360 as handling targets to shoot for. He accomplished that very well.

Sequitur: At a track test earlier this year in South Africa, noted driver, Sarel van der Merwe drove a CAV to a third fasted time over 13 of the fastest super productions cars in South Africa. I believe a Lambo Gallardo and the Porsche GT3 RS were marginally quicker.

this is more of what i was looking for in a response. i actually dont care to competitively race the vehicle, but wanted to know if the car worked well on track days and for spirited back roads driving...how the car reacted to speeds well into the triple digits, how the car brakes, turns, and how manageable it was to heel and toe, ie, drive the car quickly.
the CAV, noted that it needs setup work, does not sound like a lot of fun nor does it sound safe to drive at the track or "spirited back roads."
does anyone "DRIVE" these cars, or does everyone baby them to death?
:)

Since the track work was done on an airlport runway, did they just do max speed tests or did they set up some kind of road course?

I read the test at the time, but don't have a copy with me. As I recall they did set up a track of sorts.

Cheers

Fred W B

this is more of what i was looking for in a response. i actually dont care to competitively race the vehicle, but wanted to know if the car worked well on track days and for spirited back roads driving...how the car reacted to speeds well into the triple digits, how the car brakes, turns, and how manageable it was to heel and toe, ie, drive the car quickly.
the CAV, noted that it needs setup work, does not sound like a lot of fun nor does it sound safe to drive at the track or "spirited back roads."
does anyone "DRIVE" these cars, or does everyone baby them to death?
:)

I've had a national competition license in SCCA for a number of years, and I can tell you my SPF MKI is just like my race car on mega-steroids. It tracks predictably, turns in nicely and brakes well. Kudos to Dennis Olthoff for his alignment and setup. However, there is only so much "testing" you can do on public roads. I can't wait to get the car on the track at Road America. I need to go over things a bit now that I have 1,000 miles on it, then I'll go for a track day. My biggest concern is that I don't feel as comfortable as I would like in the heel & toe thing. I'm used to rolling my right foot and blipping with the side of my foot, but that doesn't work with the GT40. I also have wide feet, so I may have to wear my race shoes to see if that helps. Very small footbox too. Still, my old saying is that you shouldn't race anything you aren't willing to rebuild, so I'll not likely ever go wheel to wheel with anyone. The GT40 has been called an "evocative" car, and that is what it is for me. It evokes amazing memories of 1969 and of that in-car film of Peter Sutcliff at LeMans. When I look at the impressive list of drivers who campaigned the GT40 and realize that I'm getting to experience the same sights and sounds...that's worth the price of admission for me.

I've had a national competition license in SCCA for a number of years, and I can tell you my SPF MKI is just like my race car on mega-steroids. It tracks predictably, turns in nicely and brakes well. Kudos to Dennis Olthoff for his alignment and setup. However, there is only so much "testing" you can do on public roads. I can't wait to get the car on the track at Road America. I need to go over things a bit now that I have 1,000 miles on it, then I'll go for a track day. My biggest concern is that I don't feel as comfortable as I would like in the heel & toe thing. I'm used to rolling my right foot and blipping with the side of my foot, but that doesn't work with the GT40. I also have wide feet, so I may have to wear my race shoes to see if that helps. Very small footbox too. Still, my old saying is that you shouldn't race anything you aren't willing to rebuild, so I'll not likely ever go wheel to wheel with anyone. The GT40 has been called an "evocative" car, and that is what it is for me. It evokes amazing memories of 1969 and of that in-car film of Peter Sutcliff at LeMans. When I look at the impressive list of drivers who campaigned the GT40 and realize that I'm getting to experience the same sights and sounds...that's worth the price of admission for me.

thats good to hear that your car runs/handles well. i plan to get mine sorted as best i can and im sure the car will handle very, very well once that is done.
i agree, hard to fine tune on the streets...even empty exit ramps spell disaster if you mess up....no run off room..:)
ill have to take a look at what you mean with the pedals as far as heel and toe goes....if im not comfortable i might just weld a piece onto one of the pedals or something..i dont know.
do you feel much lift from the front end at higher speeds?
how are the brakes?

Daryl:

I don't suppose Olthoff provided you with the chassis/suspenstion alignment and set-up specs for the car? ("proprietary information" I suppose. Fair enough. At least he provided you with a more driveable item than Hi-Tech did.)

Please do keep us apprised of the specs you come up with as you sort out your car.

The GT40 has been called an "evocative" car, and that is what it is for me. It evokes amazing memories of 1969 and of that in-car film of Peter Sutcliff at LeMans. When I look at the impressive list of drivers who campaigned the GT40 and realize that I'm getting to experience the same sights and sounds...that's worth the price of admission for me.

I agree wholeheartedly (up to a point). I recall very well the Ford-Ferrari wars "back in the day" (I was in high school and college at the time.) and to relive the glory of those times with a GT40 would be great. Nothing, nothing, ever made looks as good as a GT40, especially (IMO) the Mark II. But, given the cost of the car, I want it "all" --- the performance as well as the historical mystique. (As unrealistic as that may be. I could perhaps live with 85-90% of the performance of the originals, I guess. The SPF car is still very "raw." We'll just have to see.......)

Last edited:

man, id love to...if i lived anywhere near you....:(

Daryl:

I don't suppose Olthoff provided you with the chassis/suspenstion alignment and set-up specs for the car? ("proprietary information" I suppose. Fair enough. At least he provided you with a more driveable item than Hi-Tech did.)

Please do keep us apprised of the specs you come up with as you sort out your car.

I agree wholeheartedly (up to a point). I recall very well the Ford-Ferrari wars "back in the day" (I was in high school and college at the time.) and to relive the glory of those times with a GT40 would be great. Nothing, nothing, ever made looks as good as a GT40, especially (IMO) the Mark II. But, given the cost of the car, I want it "all" --- the performance as well as the historical mystique. (As unrealistic as that may be. I could perhaps live with 85-90% of the performance of the originals, I guess. The SPF car is still very "raw." We'll just have to see.......)

i also hope daryl keeps us all apprised. good to hear someones car handles quite well with some set up.
as i alluded to earlier, i dont see why the car wouldnt handle well if properly set up.

Initially I was disappointed in how my CAV handled on the track, the street Goodyears were slick, the brakes were gone in the first lap, it was very scary under braking and had to be going straight before applying the throttle.
The original pedal set up and brake bias were not user friendly.
4 years later, on Avon tires, different uprights, lots of rear camber, engine set as low and far forward as possible, Tilton 3 m/c pedal setup, Performance Friction pads, oil cooler etc it was very nuetral handling, trailing braking was possible and power could be put down quickly.
I still could not heel and toe the way that I drove my Swift but the ZF has synchros so I learned to live with it.
On the other hand it weighed 2800 lbs and there were places on the track where it felt 10 ft wide, but it was always a hoot to drive!
I have an impression that the new SPF is lighter, it is certainly looks strongly built, as the uprights and trailing links are similar to the original car as is the front suspension.
I have always wondered if one of these cars could not be campaigned at Le Mans even today, they are much simpler than current cars and on modern tires (and using modern engine management) and with enough budget might be interesting.
I don't know what class it would be in but it is a good fantasy.
Dave

Daryl:

I don't suppose Olthoff provided you with the chassis/suspenstion alignment and set-up specs for the car? ("proprietary information" I suppose. Fair enough. At least he provided you with a more driveable item than Hi-Tech did.)....)

I'm not sure why you are critical of Hi-Tech. What should we expect? When the car arrives it doesn't even have tires on it let alone engine and transaxle. Given the wide range of possible rubber and powertrains there is no way the factory could dial the car in.

I'm not sure why you are critical of Hi-Tech. What should we expect? When the car arrives it doesn't even have tires on it let alone engine and transaxle. Given the wide range of possible rubber and powertrains there is no way the factory could dial the car in.

ill agree with you to a point.
what percentage of superformance gt40s have a small block 427 and a zf transmission?
perhaps some direction would be appreciated if hi tech provided ANY set up info....
just a thought.

Back