Jonathans RCR 40 Build

After 12 hours in the paint booth I am done. There is a bit of trash in the clear coat but that will come out in a cut and buff. Otherwise everything turned out well. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IM000602.JPG
    IM000602.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,094
  • IM000601.JPG
    IM000601.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,129
  • IM000597.JPG
    IM000597.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,061
Thanks for the compliments.

I did spray it myself. This is my second car that I have painted. I am pretty happy with the results. I got a little orange peel but it will sand off pretty easily. I also got a lot of dust in the paint. It should sand out as well. I was planning on waiting until I was done with the construction of the rest of the car to do the cut and buff, but I can't stand looking at all the dust in the clear so I will probably start the buffing now.

I pulled both colors from a GM paint code book. Being a real Ford guy I hate using a GM color on my car but I did not like the Ford reds. The stripe is just a medium metallic grey. I believe the red was Toreador Red Metallic but it might have been Dark Toreador. It is not a current GM color. It was used in '97 - '02.

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn, that is nice! You are putting us to shame on the slowness of the Lola, but, in our defense we've had race cars to prep. We'll catch back up next month, promise!

I like that color and stripe combination, very striking. I also like the fact you've whipped everything out yourself and jumped right in, very good job!

Ron

Everyone, thanks again for the compliments

Ron, you are ahead of me on the mechanical side. Other than a trial fit on the engine I have done nothing mechanical on the car. You may still have your car done ahead of me.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Geez--that is one incredible red!!! IMHO, it puts Ferrari's red paint to shame (and we GT40 crazies know how much we like to put Enzo to shame!).

More photos as the build progresses, pleeeeeeze!!!

Thanks!!

Doug

I am nearly finished cutting and buffing. I pieced the car together tonight. The new angle revealed a few more spots that I need to buff. Here are some good shots of the car:

Attachments

• IM000620.JPG
    IM000620.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,791
  • IM000622.JPG
    IM000622.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,762
  • IM000624.JPG
    IM000624.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,714
Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. My BRM wheels should be on the way. I will be putting them on as soon as I get them. I am tired of inflating that front right every time I need to move the car. It will not hold air for 5 minutes.

I was glad to have junk wheels while I was doing body work. Primer dust really makes a mess of everything.

That is a seriously nice color combo. I can't wait to see it with the BRM's. Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Jack

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I like the color combo on your avatar, Jack!

As I visualize my future 40 project, I almost always see it in gold with black markings like the one in your avatar. Great color combo, IMHO!!

Having said that, though, I must admit the red on Jonathan's project makes me drool, too. That is one "sensuous" color!!

Doug

I have finally moved on from buffing to some assembly. There are still a few spots that need to be buffed again but I have decided to wait until spring when I can roll it out into the sun and get a good look at it.

This week I got the spider properly mounted, aligned the doors, installed the fuel pick ups and attached the roll bar. It does not sound like much but at least it is a start.

Hi Jonathan,
Did you set up any ventilation in garage spray booth?
thanks for all the pictures truley an inspiring prorject.

Back