Finished the Poor Man's GT40...

If anyone is interested, I posted some pix of my recently completed car on this website. Pix of GT40... - Pennock's Fiero Forum I realize the Fiero based versions do not garner serious consideration as an actual GT40 replica, but with some serious alterations I think mine has come out as well as it could. I have followed Fran's progress with his version with interest...that may well be my next project. Thanks in advance for any commments. PHIL

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Phil

The car looks very good - what a load of work.
Is the engine transverse mounted? If so what gearbox do you run?

I am sure some pureists here would say certain lines are not correct but averall it is a great looking car (I can sat that as I have a Dax that is about 43 inches and is Rover powered!)- to my eye it looks a bit tall - how close to 40 inches did you get on the roofline?

I wish I could do work like that!

Cheers
ian

Phil,

I would say that this is the best looking Fiero based car I have seen. For a short wheel base GT40 it does not look all that bad.

GT401_(Small).jpg

A lot of time and effort went into the build. I like the round tube front and rear sub frames as well.

GT4015.jpg

GT4011.jpg

One question what transaxle did you use?

Ron Earp

Admin
I like that, one of the best Fiero conversions I've seen. I also like Fieros too, so I'm sure that plays a role as well! :) Wouldn't mind having my old one back.....

Nice work! Wish I had a neighbor like you to help with my 914-6. I try to make parts for it with little success. I do get things made on the water jet time to time which look a hell of alot better but kinda pricey for one offs.

Had several fieros as a kid. Sadly I didn't know as much about driving and suspension setup as I thought I did. Wrecked 3 fieros in a row. Back then I thought the fastback was the coolest. Now I kinda like the original design best.

Fiero kit cars I don't mind. 914 kit cars make me cringe though.

Yes, the engine is transverse mounted just as the original V-6. I used the v-8 kit from Archie's, which uses the original Fiero transmission and axles, etc. The problem with this rebody is the rear ride height...I had to take 3" out of the cradle to get the car lowered enough to look correct. (Before I bought the kit, I cut up some magazine pix of the same car to see how it would look lowered). Ride height measured behind front tires and ahead of rear tires is 3 3/4", overall roof height is a tick under 43".

As I said on the other site, I literally have not driven this car more than 1/2 mile...it will be interesting to get it on the track and see what I've got. (I've been telling my car buds that it has the finest Chevette suspension money can buy). Thanks for the comments. PHIL

Back