Original GT40 - ?

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hello,

This may be very silly, but, is there such thing as getting a GT40 from the 60s for like up to 200,000? Doesnt need to be 'original' just needs to have been built then.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I seem to recall one without any racing history selling for around $600,000 USD a few years back....

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I figured as much. I just for some reason thought there was like a Road version of it made, which didnt have the 'race' stuff behind it that pumped the price up. Guess that idea was WaY off.

Never mind, and thanks.

George, logical thinking on your behalf but because the road cars are so rare they too can fetch some HUGE numbers. Sorry.....its a replica, clone, tribute, continuation, kit car for you like many of us on here. But thats not a bad thing!

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks Jimmy,

I more or less thought 200,000 or something could buy a car that wont have todays emissions regulations as it was built back then, that you could pretty much do anything with, like any 60s muscle car.

Guess it wasnt that easy,

O well, was worth the shot, though I missed the entire field :laugh:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Buy an RCR or SPF car. It will cost you half that, it will look like, run like and feel like an original one, and you can have a blast with it without worrying about banging up a priceless and unique object. And it will go at least as fast as a 60s one.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Only seven road cars were built back in the day, which makes them very expensive if you can even find one. I agree with Jim. Go with RCR or SPF. While my car wasn't inexpensive, I'm not afraid to get it out on the road an enjoy it. Driving these cars is a lot of fun.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for that.

I actually like the TSC Carbon car.

With the laws here, any Replica will be classified as a "now" built car, 2012/2013 etc. That means it will need to meet the road regulations of now. So if I wanted to run a Carburettor (which I dont, though I still love the way the Holley Dominator looks above all carburettors), I would not be allowed. So I just thought if something was gettable with a 'made in 1960', even if it was just the chasis on its own to remove all 'restrictions' as there was pretty much no regulations back then, would be worth doing, as I could do anything I want to the car without having some 2012 compliance to meet.

Wonder if theres any chassis hanging around from the 60s. That would really be all you need to prove its a 60s car and all regulations of today drop. Then stick your own engine etc in it because you got a Vin that shows its a 60s car. O well, wishfull thinking I guess.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
George
A 60's car would be registered as such if it is as per the original which includes the chassis and the original motor.

If you change the motor you are required to comply with the modified vehicle requirements including polution control for the year of the motor.

If it were as simplistic as you make out we could build anything without question.

It's not that easy.

Dimi

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Dimi,

I just thought along the lines of like my 68 Charger. It came with a 383ci, though chargers did come with 440s and 426 Hemis. No emission regulations in the 60s, no cats. I can legally put a 528ci in it, 600-800hp, modify the suspension etc, as long as it is safe, built to handle all that, not a problem. So I figured would be the same deal with the 40 built when the Charger was built.

Why does everything look much easier in the US for stuff like this?

Its not as if these cars break and hence why 'its a saftey issue' here, its just limiting automitive. I mean, you cant even get a Veyron/Enzo in this country complianced, yet anywhere else in the world, not a problem, the hells wrong with australia.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
...it's because of your British connection/heritage :shocked:

Yeah and unless your Native American, your herritage is from Britain to, no difference, so that does not explain anything.

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
George

I think you will find that regardles of age if the car was originally manufactured with a 289, 327, 454 etc then you can use any of those engines.

If you want to fit something other than an original OEM option then you have to have the car complianced as a modified vehicle.

Dimi

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
George

As per your previous threads you don't have, or are working on a build project but you keep getting the forum involved in these theoretical discussions and arguments in what appears to be a waste of time.

With all due respect I think you should get yourself a project started and then I think you would get far more help and value from this forum than all these airy fairy no direction questions.

Dimi

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks Dimi,

I am in contact with an Engineer who has requested certain things if the car is not going to be built here but fully assembled in the UK. So he needs to know what sort of motor I plan to use, and etc, so that we know what we are dealing with/able or not able to do. Once I get a 'I want this and this and this for my car" the engineer can guide from there if it is able to pass some how and what would need to be done to get it. Hes even requested some 'howmuch does the company build per year' as that eases things up a little. He has no issue with the car getting fully assembled turn key over-seas as long as he can follow the program, but that once again means I need to know what the hell I want in the car. No point getting the car started and then "Sorry Andy, you gotta wait now until I work out what on earth I want to put in it" this is why I am trying to work out what satisfies me (theoretically) and then from there we got something to work with via Engineer and if all good, guess what, we can put the whole package together start-finish with no pausing for me to work out what I want. Even now Andy himself doesnt know what exactly I want (I dont know either!), so its better to work it all out on paper, hand it over, and then it can get done without mucking around.

Back