help me identify real or reproduction

I have been trying to identify whether this 1966 ford gt40 mkII is a real original production road car, or a reproduction replica model? I only just stumbled upon this forum and figured yall would be the best option to help determine. These are all the photos I have right now. I will have more on april 21st.

Attachments

• gt40.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 742
  • gt40 1.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 528
  • gt40 2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 531
  • gt40 3.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 411
  • gt40 4.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 415
  • gt40 5.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 435
  • gt40 6.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 395
  • gt40 7.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 423

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Hi Nick. The steering wheel is on the wrong side, NACA ducts are closed off and it appears to have a spaceframe chassis, so definitely not an original...

Mike Pass

Supporter
Replica Mk1. The spider is fibreglass and it has the ridge in the spider at the top of the door that originals don't have. Also the tanks are not as per original ie bag tanks in a ribbed steel pontoon.
Cheers
Mike

Hi, Cant see it all clearly but the doors make it look like KVA to me and if the rear valence goes straight accross without the up and down cut outs for body hinges seen on most replicas and of course originals then it is out of the later modified moulds and from what I can see of the chassis it must be a C type chassis. Of course I could be wrong and it might even be a one off but I doubt it. Cheers Kev Farrington

Definately MKI Replica.

KVA's don't usually sit that low do they? I mean the rear tyres are snug with the rear clip. Of course this car appears far from set up, but even so.....

Also, those appear to be knock on wheels. How many KVA's have had those fitted out of interest?

It's an interesting find. You buying it???

Its a strange one. I agree with Malcolm if looking at the side and ignoring the door windows. I dont remember any GTDs having mk3 doors but who knows maybe. That ridge running above window height was a GTD mod that Ray Christopher did to keep Ford happy if I remember it correctly. I havent had a good look at the chassis pictures so I`ll do that. Quite a few early KVAs were built up on the then new GTD chassis in the mid to late 1980s but that ridge still bothers me. Someone is going to know exactly what it is and we will all be wrong probably. OK I give up,

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Could it be a Dax version?

Looking under the front clip it looks similar to mine with the fibreglass cover removed.d

Also the radius arms seem to go fairly straight forward as opposed to going right in next to the engine. This is another Dax thing

But the body looks like a forty as the Dax has a longer bit below the rear side scoops

Ian

Hi Ian The best visual way to tell a MK I from a MKII is that the MkII has no central Nacar duct in front of the windscreen. The MK I has this feature. Of course the extra side scoops on the rear bodywork and the hinge front panel are other characteristics of the MKII. As for Holleys only one in 1966 for the MKIIA and two in 1967 for The MKIIB.
As I am sure most of you know the KVA features the early ones had no radius on the bottom corner of the windows presumably because Ken Attwell took off all this measures from Ford's own MKIII. Thanks Ken for finally answering the question about the ridge on the GTD.
Regards Allan

Back