Rear clip inner lining / insulation

Hi

I´m short before painting my rear clip from the inside.

Before i do so i would have liked to decide on the kind of thermal barrier to use.

Currently my preffered solution would be to glue in ( with high temp sikaflex) this material.
Heat shield cloth and radiant heat barrier for body panels, floor boards, and fire walls
r-a-cloth_pic.jpg

probably the best thing is to glue it on the unpainted glassfiber surface.

What you think?

What are your solutions ( pics , links ) ?
Thanks
TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom - I have shielding such as you have shown here. However - I'm still searching for a good (and affordable) supply of Satellite "Gold" barrier foil which is also used by F1 Teams..
From reports I've read, heat rejection/reflection is on the order of 97% (or close)..

200362093-001.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
Tom:

That looks exactly like the material I used. Mine was a different brand name, but essentially the same material.

Easy to install. Easy to cut to shape. Self adhesive back. Clean installation. Looks good. Would not be too hard to replace if you did not like it for some reason.

Got about 700 miles on the car and it is holding up well.

Chuck

Attachments

• InsulationRearClip1.JPG
    InsulationRearClip1.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 418
Tom:

That looks exactly like the material I used. Mine was a different brand name, but essentially the same material.

Easy to install. Easy to cut to shape. Self adhesive back. Clean installation. Looks good. Would not be too hard to replace if you did not like it for some reason.

Got about 700 miles on the car and it is holding up well.

Chuck

Chuck i would be interested in your source / brand

Thanks
TOM

TOM Paint inner rear clip before bonding thermal barrier, you can not mask up barrier material with out ugly masking edges and over spray. regards Geoff

TOM Paint inner rear clip before bonding thermal barrier, you can not mask up barrier material with out ugly masking edges and over spray. regards Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I intended to paint the clip before, but mask the area where i will put the heat shield and keept it unpainted.
Heat shield will be applied afterwards

TOM

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Tom

Unlike Chuck's picture above my reflective material goes all the way to the rear of the clip

I couold see no reason not t continue it all the way back to help reduce heat transfer above the collectors and silencer too,

I bought my roll of material from Car Builder solutions in the uk

Ian

Tom - I have shielding such as you have shown here. However - I'm still searching for a good (and affordable) supply of Satellite "Gold" barrier foil which is also used by F1 Teams..
From reports I've read, heat rejection/reflection is on the order of 97% (or close)..

200362093-001.jpg

This stuff is the best, but pretty expensive. The shop I am familiar with here does not throw out ANY of it. If they trim a 1x1 inch square, they keep it, just in case. Pegasus has it here:
Pegasus - GOLD Reflective Heat Barrier Film

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jay - Perfect... Even at $15 a sq ft - I think it's going to be worth it.. My exhaust system travels closer to the rear clip than does the exhaust on a ZF or Audi trans car so I want to make sure I don't nuke a $10k paint job - or worse!!!

Thank you!!!

Chuck

Supporter
Tom:

Per you request here is the info re the reflective material. From a previous post, long long ago:

Insulation and Carpet
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=
Three types of insulation were used, all from Cool It and readily available from Jegs, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:place w:st=
</st1:place><st1:City w:st="on">Summit</st1:City> and other suppliers.
<o:p></o:p>
First, Heat and Acoustical mat, part number 14720, 60” x 36”, was used to cover the rear bulkhead and other areas of the interior. This product does NOT have the shiny aluminum surface, but does have an imbedded metallic layer for heat dissipation. It is about an eighth inch thick, rubbery, and self adhesive.
Second, Aluminum heat shielding, part number 13590, 24 x 48, was used to cover the engine side of the removable bulkhead / firewall insert and the underside of the rear clip above the headers.
Third, Insulating Mat, part number 14110, 48 x 48, was used on the rear bulkhead, over the Heat and Accoustical mat. This product has an aluminized surface on one side. It is about a quarter inch thick. It was held in place with 3M #77 spray adhesive. Generally it was glued to the carpet, shinny side out.

Here is the link to Jeg's site:

13590 - JEGS High Performance

As a point of information, with 700 miles, the amount of heat held within the rear clip is just not as great as I feared. Heat build up is actually greater in the engine compartment of the Cobra, yet even there it has caused no problems. My main concern with the GT was the area directly above the headers. The stainless muffler does not generate as much heat as one would expect and with the opening directlly above it heat build up does not seem to be an issue.

That is the reason I opted to use the heat shielding in a rather modest manner.

Of course ours is a rather modest power plant. With a 600 HP fire breather the story may be different.

Essentially the same product is marketed by several manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Attachments

• InsulationSamples.JPG
    InsulationSamples.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 302
I used the stuff like Chuck but it eventually fell off. Where can I find the high heat adhesive? Does the gold stuff come with adhesive?

Back