Installing The Door Handles

Is there some trick to installing them? I'm confused as to how to drill the holes in the door. And what holds the handle in?

Thanks
Bill D

Bill, I used a 3/8 inch Hich pin to hold the handle in the door.If you cut a hole in the recess for the arm you can mark center line of the hole for the handle.I think Ron has a good close up of this from the inside of the door.

I glassed in some metal tubing to the door for the pin to sit in. Here is a picture

Attachments

• IM000470.JPG
    IM000470.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 759

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Bill, I maybe wrong but I believe Jonathan, glassed a tube to the door and the pin fits in the tube. No drilling needed. I would await Jonathans confirmation/denial of same though.

Bill,

I started with a 1/6" aircraft bit and drilled down through the handle then finished with a 1/4". Just mark a line from the top of the door through the handle as a guide.

Best,

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 733

Ron McCall

Supporter
Bill,

I ground the "pocket" off so that the door was flat on the inside. Then I took some 90deg angle steel and made two brackets with holes in them for the pins.( I used 3/8" hitch pins also) I assembled the handle,brackets and pin (with washers between the handle and the brackets for spacers)and then glassed it into the door. It is much easier to drill and fiddle with the holes on the work bench instead of inside the door.
There didn't seem to be enough glass there to just mount the handle right to it.

Attachments

• 121_2161-2 (Small).JPG
    121_2161-2 (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 715

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I used the "New" RF type of handle - of which only 2 sets were made before everything turned to PITA.
It was a great idea though as the handle mechanism is self contained - ie. it is assembled outside the car and then you attach it - quite simple really.

Attachments

• 19012007324 (Medium).jpg
    19012007324 (Medium).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 712
  • 19012007325 (Medium).jpg
    19012007325 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 690
Rons approach is very similar to the one used at the shop, we use two angles of 1/8th aluminum and we bond them to the inner door...we also ream the door handle pivot hole and use a ground surface shoulder bolt as the pin....
I dont have any pics at home but I will post some in the am.

The RF components shown are a very elegant solution.

I used a die grinder to make a big hole. I then installed the metal pipe on both sides and glassed it in. Then I filled any gaps between the pipe and the hole.

Pics as promised

Attachments

• door handleoriginal bulkhead 001 (Small) (3).jpg
    door handleoriginal bulkhead 001 (Small) (3).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 577
  • door handleoriginal bulkhead 002 (Small) (2).jpg
    door handleoriginal bulkhead 002 (Small) (2).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 678
  • doororiginal bulkhead 003 (Small) (2).jpg
    doororiginal bulkhead 003 (Small) (2).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 600
Hmmmm..I didn't realize I was going to have to learn fiberglass work. And I didn't figure on having to fabricate the retention device.

Bill,
You dont have to use fiberglass...we use Plexus adhesive...I just wanted you to see you how we do it when requested to by customers...

It appears the hole has to be large enough so the back of the handle can pivot in to open the door. Is that correct?

Keith

Bill D said:
Hmmmm..I didn't realize I was going to have to learn fiberglass work. And I didn't figure on having to fabricate the retention device.

Fabrication on a '40????

Nooooooooooo!:eek:

Back