Fuel Shut Off

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a good quality ball valve from my local plumbing supply house for a FUEL shut off valve. Keep in mind you may ride with me some day.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Why do you need to shut off the fuel? And where do you propose to install the valve? As the fuel tanks are below the intake any returning fuel should go to the tank. I can't picture what the shut off valve will do unless you are looking for "vehicle security".

Even though I plan to pressure wash my still new gas tanks, the SPF GT40s are known for plugging fuel filters. Because of this and the fact that a fuel pump, filter and lots of plumbing will sit low in the rear of the left sponson I would like to put a shutoff on the tank outlet, or as close as possible. This would allow me to work on the plumbing and clean the fuel filter without having to drain the tanks first.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Richard - I think I would check this place out thoroughly to find out what kind of valve would work well for your application (flammable liquid);

McMaster-Carr

Randy, yes knowing it will work with gasoline is important. I was hoping one of our knowledgeable members could help me with that part.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps the solenoid valves from a Jag.
I cannot remember off hand if they need power to open or power to close - but they are made for this application

Ian

We always use the electrically oiperated JAGUAR units, they come in either normally open or normally shut with power off, so you have choice. We have used these on SPF systems. Frank

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Tecalemit solenoid operated valves are usually fitted on the bulkhead.
Here's one in an original car.

Attachments

• Tecalemit.jpg
    Tecalemit.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 376
  • Tecalemit Fuel Selector.jpg
    Tecalemit Fuel Selector.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Engine Bay 060.jpg
    Engine Bay 060.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 379

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Are you going to use an inertia switch just in case you end upside down or something? Richard the type fuel pump you use may solve this. A positive displacement pump will not allow fuel to past through if its off, same thing as a valve.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Richard,

If your only reason is to allow fuel filter change w/o worrying about stopping flow of fuel from the fuel tank why don't you keep it simple and do what I did (see pics of my left sponsoon) and just make the line in and out of the filter long enough so the filter and lines can be raised out and above the sponsoon and above the fuel tank top and you won't need the valve. If you do it your way you will still have leaked fuel from lines downstream of the fuel tank anyway, my way all those lines stay filled and very little gas lost.

I also recommend a large Canton filter as in my pics (better filtering and lot's of capacity).

BTW...I don't have any problems with filters plugging up now 3,000 miles. Did replace filter element at 1,000 miles just in case and all is well.

Steve P2125

Attachments

• 100_0128.jpg
    100_0128.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Back