What to wrap radiator pipes in

Hi all

I thought I start a post as I need to wrap my radiator pipes that pass through the cabin of the car. The aim is to reduce as much radiant heat as possible so what is the most ideal material/wrap etc to use.

I initially bought some self adhesive aluminium insulating pipe wrap but I am not sure this will be the easiest stuff to apply and remove should I need to remove the pipes.

I've also been looking at exhaust pipe wrap and fireflex Silicone jacketed fiberglass sleeving which both look easier to fit. However I am not sure how much radiant heat the fireflex sleeving would prevent.

If you guys could suggest the best options that would be great

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Trev,

While I've not yet done mine, I plan on using DEI Exhaust wrap in the 2" wide flavor. In my RCR, that does crowd things up a bit in the tunnel, but should work if I use the tunnel solely for the coolant / AC and Brake lines.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Trev

We use this one from McMaster Carr also for heat dissapation.
1 3/4" fits 1 3/8" to 1 3/4" wall thickness 0.23" part # 7569K16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat-Dissipating Fiberglass Sleeving

Put a layer of protection between personnel and hot hoses and piping. The silicone rubber coating over this thick braided fiberglass sleeving allows heat to dissipate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It can reduce the outer temperature of a 380° F steam hose to 130° F.

Temperature range is -60° to +600° F. Color is blue. To Order: Please specify length (1, 5, 10, 25, or maximum continuous length of 50 ft.).

Regards Brian

Brian, this sounds good. Like I said I can't order that stuff from the UK so I had a look around online and found Fireflex. It looks to be the same stuff, can you confirm?
Hypex Ltd*::*Techflex Sleeving & Heatshrink*::*High Temperature Sleeving*::*Fire Flex*::*FIREFLEX 2.5"

Hi Trev

We use this one from McMaster Carr also for heat dissapation.
1 3/4" fits 1 3/8" to 1 3/4" wall thickness 0.23" part # 7569K16

Heat-Dissipating Fiberglass Sleeving

Put a layer of protection between personnel and hot hoses and piping. The silicone rubber coating over this thick braided fiberglass sleeving allows heat to dissipate.

It can reduce the outer temperature of a 380° F steam hose to 130° F.

Temperature range is -60° to +600° F. Color is blue. To Order: Please specify length (1, 5, 10, 25, or maximum continuous length of 50 ft.).

Regards Brian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Trev

I'm on my way to my 2nd of three funerals this week. I'll send you a PM, sometime tonight.

Regards Brian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I used the fiberglass exhaust tape, I think we got it from Jeg's or Summit. Then we used heat shrink tubing, very large, over that, to keep it all in place, although we also safety-wired it with SS wire. So far, so good.

Another thing that would help is air blowing through the tunnel; unfortunately, on my car, we needed to hold the tubes in place at the front with rubber blocks so they wouldn't move around. But venting the tunnel would really help. We also used some insulation on the outside of the tunnel, in the passenger space- I think it was Dynamat or something like it. And that helped as well.

Back