Parts for rebuilt LSD 016R AOR gearbox for 944 Turbo S

Hello:

Anybody know where can I find parts to rebuilt my LSD 016R AOR gearbox for a 944 Turbo S?? Friction disc, etc... I have asked in Porsche and they no longer have this parts available.

Thank you very much in advance

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have found these guys good for OEM and after market parts.

Porsche Parts Wholesale - Discount Porsche Auto Parts - Porsche Car Parts

Good prices and a good range, IMHO, but faster moving stuff only though. On line shopping only works for US shipping addresses.

I rang them and got an absolute fuckwit on the phone so I got my parts on line and shipped them to a US member who has been good enough to help me out in this regard numerous times. He then forwards the stuff to me.

They'd be worth checking out. Maybe if you emailed or faxed them you could get them to freight your stuff to Spain for you. Don't try ringing them, absolute waste of time on an international toll call.

Cheers,

The 016 is almost all audi parts iirc. You may be able to source some of the stuff from audi if porshe cant get 'em. I believe they were in fwd audi 5cylinder 4000's and some of the fwd 5000's. None of the audi's with this trans were lsd though, so they wont be helpful there.

If you cant find any of the diff rebuild parts you may want to consider a Quaife helical lsd. Quaife Online Shop - Quaife Engineering or AUTOTECH - Quaife Torque Biasing Differentials, Close Ratio Gearkits, Racing Transmissions, Custom Driveline Components
depending on where you are.

The discs for the Porsche LSD's are different than the AUDI parts. The size was increased. (both od and thickness)

The p/n's are:

cup spring 928.333.555.00
inner disc 951.333.551.00
selective discs
1.9mm 917.332.552.10
2.0mm 917.332.552.11
2.1mm 917.332.552.12

I did some checking and they seem to be temporarily out of stock.

You could try these guys:
Motor Meister - Porsche Engine Rebuilder

Carquip, Porsche Parts

Since the discs are 917 parts, they might have them.

Thank you very much for your references!! I have tried to find this references but it´s impossible. Do you know another links??
In other hand I see that Jim S say to me that I have to mechanise my gearbox case to swap the pinion and ring and I´m confused with this.

If you have the Audi 016 transaxle and your trying to put the porsche 944Turbo ring and pinion into it: the pinion shaft is 4mm longer on the Porsche than on the Audi. This length difference occurs between 4th gear and 3rd gear. So you need to build a 4mm spacer plate to go in between the cast iron center housing and the aluminum bell housing case. After you do this the shift fork shafts on the Audi will be 4mm too short to line up properly with the shifting paw, therefore the shift fork shafts have to be lengthened 4mm at a point between the shift fork itself and the notch that is cut in them for the shifting paw. **Also the pinion gear itself is too big to fit through the front pinion bearing cup, so you have to use a Porsche 944 Turbo front pinion bearing. To use this bearing the case needs to be bored out bigger for the bigger Porsche bearing cup.

Hope this makes since :)

If you have an AOR turbo S box already, you don't need to machine anything. But if you are just rebuilding the LSD why would you be doing anything to the ring and pinion? This is the strongest 016 based box there is. Besides having the bigger ring gear, front pinion bearing and larger 3rd gear, it also has shot peened gears and shafts.

OK. I understood both sides. I have Porsche 951 turbo S gearbox reference 016 AOR 5P 1987, with the strenghtened 1st and 2nd gear (I think) so I supposed it is not necesary to mechanise anything. Then the reason to change the original 8:27 ring and pinion for the shorter 944S2 gearbox 8:31 is the maximun speed. I use the car in a endurance Spanish Championship (that is why I want reliability), and now with the 8:27 and with my od wheells my maximun speed is 307 Km/h (7000 rpm is the cut limit with the factory Porsche Cup ECU). In any case I will reach speeds higher than 225 Km/h with my engine HP and depending on each tracks in the end line. I only use half of the 5th gear. So I want to swap the ring and pinion, but I´m afraid because the race lenght has 2 hours and so I asked you about the reliability.
Thank you again Pete and Jim because you make a fantastic forum!!! and sorry for my English

Your English is ok.

The 944 S2 and the turbo transaxles are the same with the exception of the final drive ratio. The turbo S also has shot peened shafts and gears. Porsche didn't think the shot peened parts were necessary after the turbo S was dropped.
The turbo, turbo S and 944 S2 transaxles are different from all of the earlier ones in a few ways. First, the ring gear is larger in diameter. The front pinion bearing is larger (I expect just because the pinion gear is larger and would not fit through the smaller bearing hole) and 3rd gear is wider. Some turbo and turbo S transaxles had oil coolers, some did not. The 3 wider 3rd gear required a longer case.
If you cryo treat the ring and pinion from the S2, it should give you the same reliablity as the turbo S gears would give you.

And how can I make the cryo treat and where?? Remenber that Spain it is not like your country in this aspect(we are still in neolithic here) Do you have information about that, temperature,time,...?. The only I just think is to take the S2 ring an pinion to a lathe operator and ask him. What do you think??

Using the highest speed/rpm you have registered to date with the 8-27 (3.375/1) have you checked to ensure it is safe from an rpm point of view to swap to the 8-31 (3.875/1) without exceeding your 7000 rpm limit. It seems to be a huge ratio change in this instance.
Take the highest RPM you currently reach in 5th gear- use that to work out the car speed, then use that speed & the 'new' ratio to calculate the RPM that you will reach. Do not forget to multiply your CWP ratio by the 5th gear ratio in both cases to give an overall ratio for your calculations.

We do Cryo-treatment and Rem burnishing of internal transmission parts. I can also help with any service and I am a Porsche VW AUDI BMW parts dealer. So if your having any problems locating the parts or require gearbox service please contact me, always happy to help.

Take care,

Help with cryo treat pinion and ring

I need help with my gearbox because I´m confused reading the forum. Some people say that the cry treat is good and some people not... My problem is that I swap the pinion and ring of a 083F 944S2 gearbox in my 944 Turbo AOR gerabox. In Turbo model the pinion and ring is shot peened and in the 944S2 not. I want to treat this part to hold the torque, but I´m not sure about the avantages to use in a race car.

Thank you very much in advance

There is a guy on the Porsche Hybrid forum with a 944 turbo that has an LS1 v8 with a Magnison supercharger. He has dynoed it and has 550 HP at the rear wheels. He cryo treated the gears and shafts and has had no problems with the transaxle with one season at the track so far.

Back