Porsche 930 Fluid Fill for Inverted Applications

Ron Earp

Admin
I am searching for a thread with some pictures involving the Porsche 930 transaxle. Someone here, and I can't remember who, made a temporary sight glass on the side of a 930 or G50 to determine how much fluid to run in the transaxle. I have used the search engine, but with so much material about "930" "fluid" etc. it is useless. I've got to hire someone to make the search engine more effective than it is now.

Anyhow, I'm interested in that thread and the conclusions. Gbox indicated that with a differential cooler and pump we should be running about four quarts in the box. Now, that doesn't sound too crazy and I ran that by a couple of racers at the track who race 911s and they agreed that it wasn't out of line. But, I was thinking about the transaxle and how in the inverted setup the oil would not have to be slung/spread as far as it would in the normal setup. And, if that would affect the oil needed.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of some breathers and catch cans on 930s. I've got some good ideas of how to make one, but I like to see what others have done too.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron

If you check my build thread you will see the sight glass you are talking about.

It is a permanent fixture on my transaxle as it not only allows me to see the oil level in the transaxle but also the colour of the oil which indicates any excessive wear of the internals.

Dimi

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks Dimi, I didn't lost my mind. I thought it was somewhere on here but I would not have suspected a build thread and didn't look there. Thanks again,

Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron

If you check my build thread you will see the sight glass you are talking about.

It is a permanent fixture on my transaxle as it not only allows me to see the oil level in the transaxle but also the colour of the oil which indicates any excessive wear of the internals.

Dimi

Hi Dimi - I went looking on your build thread to take a look and I don't find it anywhere. Do you have a link to it?

Here's the build thread I found for you.. Did I miss it?
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/21100-dimis-build-drb-68-a.html

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Also, wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of some breathers and catch cans on 930s. I've got some good ideas of how to make one, but I like to see what others have done too.

This is my breather Ron. Works a treat. Catch tank is nothing special but is easily drained! Although it only ever has a teaspoon full in it.

Unfortunately I didn't do any photos of it at the time I built it. Will whip it off and take some close ups tomorrow if you like.

Attachments

• Birdcage 0988.JPG
    Birdcage 0988.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Birdcage 1018.JPG
    Birdcage 1018.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Russ,

That looks just like our other breathers - an empty can of your favorite beer, some hose, zip line, and you are good to go.

Here is the G50 transaxle fill picture I was after. Looks like 4-5 quarts would be a good fill level for a system with no trans a cooler. Credit goes to Dimi for the photo, the thread can be found here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/21100-dimis-build-drb-68-a.html#post290061

Attachments

• PICT0248.JPG
    PICT0248.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 332

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm curious how the tubing used withinstands the heat and exposure to petroleum products.. Most Vinyl will harden and crack with exposed to both..

Is this some sort of special tubing?

Thanks for digging up the picture Dimi!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Randy

I have now driven the car for 14000Km's in temps reaching 40'c with no problems.

The tubing used is a special tubing sold here specifically for petrol use.

On the G50 transaxle there are 2 reinforcing webs on the side of the case.
They coincide with the oil level at 3 litres and at 5 litres as shown in the photo.

Dimi

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dimi - I'll try to find a source for the tubing. I would like to do the same thing on mine.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Just pulled the fulcrum plate to get some pics for you. The breather is an M10 capscrew drilled up the centre with a short length of 3/16" bundy tube brazed into it and a flare formed on the end to retain the plastic tube. Its held in by a nyloc on top and assembled with sealer on the threads under the nut to stop any weepage. It works fine.

Attachments

• breather 1063.JPG
    breather 1063.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 320
  • breather1064.JPG
    breather1064.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 299
  • breather 1065.JPG
    breather 1065.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 299
  • breather 1066.JPG
    breather 1066.JPG