AC Compressor / lines question

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,

I find that with my custom setup for the cooling system / lines that I need to raise my compressor as much as 2". Looking at the build manual, it looks like there is enough hose there to make it - What do you guys think?

Thanks..

Chuck

Supporter
Randy:

My compressor is in the 'stock' location and the AC hoses were just exactly the right length - raising the compressor two inches might make for a real stretch. Suspect you will need to fabricate slightly longer hoses.

Chuck

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
HI Chuck - Thanks for the feedback..

Here's a few shots of where my problem area is. The -16 fitting is in the water pump housing as far as I can take it without cracking the housing. It's hard to make out but even with a 45 degree swivel fitting - I will have interference. In these pics the compressor is moved out almost as far as it will go..

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

If need be, I guess I can order or make new lines. I've done it for R12 but never 134A so I'm sure that the 134A hose is different..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jonathan - I already fabbed up the mounts for the Alternator on the other side. I'd really hate to have to re-do that..

Randy, it is so tight in the front (as you know) that I have redone mine about 6 times now! Most of that was caused by my insistance on using the short serpentine set up sold by FRPP and desire to avoid the "bump". My lines are the perfect length and give me just enough flex to use the a/c compressor to adjust belt tightness. I suggest you try fabing it up and see how it goes, but it will be very very close!

So I was working on the car today and checked it out. You will have plenty of reach to go up 2 or 3 inches. I had to remove my compressor to shim the bracket slightly and I could move it up farther than I thought.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great news Mark.. I was resigned to do whatever it was going to take and there was no way that I could make the big -16 Hose / fitting work unless I raised the compressor..

So - I plan on diving into it tomorrow... Meanwhile - I'm updating my build-site tonight..

Thanks guys ! ! ! !

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay - So two weeks later I finally get enough time in my shop to fab up a couple of simple brackets.. I've not yet tested the fit of the AC Hoses - but will deal with whatever problems I created later..

Here's some pics

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

I'll make a scan of the parts as templates and make them available on my website for anyone that needs to do the same thing.
I think this will work out fine..

Yes - I know I have the wrong size bolt in the compressor. Being in the USA means that 130mm M8 x 1.25 12.9 bolts don't grow on trees and the guys in the hardware stores look at you funny.. Of course I had to buy 5 of the buggers to get the one that I needed from McMaster-Carr but they're on the way along with $50 worth of other fasteners...

I'll be updating my Build Site soon..

Back