car on trailer cover or not

Hauling car on open trailer 15-20 miles. Nothing over 55mph.
I have a form fitting expensive cover. Use it or not.
protect the paint from my truck kicking up stone chips.
I'm also concerned about rain. I have to remove the side windows for inspection.
The inspection took two weeks to get an appointment i really don't want to cancel if it rains. If it does rain i want to protect the interior.

If the cover fits tight can it damage the paint from the blowing wind?

LLoyd

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Don't do it. No matter how well you tie it down you'll still have movement and potential damage. Consider some type of shield in front of the car on the trailer to deflect rain and road debris.

Lloyd, I trailered my car on an open trailer to the NYDMV inspection station which was 15 or more miles away. No cover. Just take it slow.

And, good luck!

Keith

I can't believe you guys would spend multi $'000's on a '40 and not get one of these!

Attachments

• picture12.jpeg
    picture12.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 535
I'd love to buy a trailer the problem is where to store it when not using. I could just see trying to talk the wife into looking at trailer in the driveway.

I tried to rent a covered trailer no one wanted to rent one just sell you one.

http://www.serpentexpress.com/index.php?id=specs

I looked at the above trailer. open deck with option of covering.
Not a bad price and available in all aluminum

Lloyd

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Whew, those are on the high side IMHO. One could get a full on enclosed 16' trailer, all metal construction with full height stand up ceilings for that sort of money.

I picked up a used 20' trailer I use for racing - holds car, rolling tool cabinet, spares, has air conditioning that was included, loft, dual axle, full lighting - $3000. I added a microwave, a couple of air mattresses and I've a home away from home. A Haulmark or similar isn't as slick looking as the Serpent trailer, but a lot better utility for the money and probably affords a lot more protection for you and the car.

Charlie M

Supporter
Maybe it's just my bad luck but I towed my Cobra to the MA State Police inspection in an open trailer (about a 20 mi trip one way). On the way back I passed an uncovered dump truck full of gravel going in the opposite direction which showered the car with rocks. I'm probably the only one that will notice the numerous chips in the paint but it still pissed me off in a big way.

Charlie

cover trailer

Talk to Peter Portante at ERA. He has a 1 (his), 2 (jimmy) & 3 (mine) car trailer and he could rent it or loan it you.

FWIW I recentley trailered my GTD for a hundred-odd miles. I used an open trailer, but as my car also had no side windows at the time I needed some protection.

I had a roll of 'industrial cling wrap', which is commonly used for all types of packaging prior to haulage. It's just like the stuff you wrap your sandwiches with, only thicker & stronger & is often used to wrap goods onto pallets. It will only really stick to itself, but is strong enough that you can pull it tight.

I first wrapped a soft sheet around the car, over the windscreen & doors, & then wrapped several layers of cling film right around the car. It worked well for me!

Hope this helps!

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
I'm with Julian.

I put the cover on my car and then wrapped it in 1.5 foot wide cling film (clear stretch wrap) from Staples/OfficeMax. Looks like crap and kind of a pain to put on, but it will stop the small stuff from causing damage. Distance = between Chicago and Road America - about 150 miles. I taped down the exposed ends of the wrap just to be sure, but it didn't seem like it needed it.

Al

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...10051&langId=-1&productId=14603&cmArea=SEARCH

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
cover or not

If you look at boat manufacturers, who daily have to trailer their brand new products to the dealers (products that cost more than GT40s if you can believe that), they shrink-wrap new boats before they are loaded onto the trailer. Obviously we can't do that, but you CAN shrink wrap a GT40 once it's up there and tied down. I see boats every week being hauled around at highway speeds and very seldom do they have mishaps. The shrink wrap film is available at marine stores. Most of us have a heat gun to do it with. It works great, it stays on, you can recycle the film when you're done, and it does not cost an outrageous amount. Hope this is helpful

Mind you, when 1149 is finally ready to come from Ohio to Maryland, I'm borrowing an enclosed trailer and a friend's diesel Ford 350 truck to pull it with. That's if it doesn't go commercially.

Any cover on a car on an open car trailer will "beat" the paint and leave marks. Something inevitably works loss and flaps.

When I took my first ERA to a show in North Carolina twenty years ago, I taped down the edges of the tonneau cover. It still beat the paint and it rained all the way down and all the way back. The car was a mess. I promptly went out and got a box trailer. Never regretted it. Better security while on the road, too.

J

Back