Some Idiot has Hacked the Main Page

There are definitely some idiots in this world. And I'm being polite.

Hope this doesn't cause too much grief for Ron, they claim it hasn't. :(

Looks like Ron will need to add some security patches.

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
That S.O.B I'd surely like to get my hands on these people,along with the Swiss investment scham, the everlasting erect penis bisso, the luxury watch lot,the biogeneric stock market pullers and any other dweeble that persists in bombarding my email intray with their repetitive and pathetic drivle Grrrrr!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
"They" not only hacked the main page, they sent me an email at my address listed in my profile essentially duplicating the main page. Don't know if this is a problem or not.

Did anyone else get one? It appeared on my home email as a message from Ron. I fwded it to admin@GT40etc just so Ron would know it was happening.

Doug

Keith

YerDugliness said:
"They" not only hacked the main page, they sent me an email at my address listed in my profile essentially duplicating the main page. Don't know if this is a problem or not.

Did anyone else get one? It appeared on my home email as a message from Ron. I fwded it to admin@GT40etc just so Ron would know it was happening.

Doug

I was browsing the site when it happened - I sent a mail to Ron warning him and closed it down clearing out the cache and running Adaware just in case there was any script in there, but i didn't get any emails as a result. I have a very powerful firewall system though.

I sent them an email via their page and told them that despite their protestations that they weren't "terrorists", suppressing freedom of speech, preventing access to public sites and forcibly imposing their rhetoric on anyone trying to access GT40's.com and similar sites was exactly that - an act of terrorism. I await their reply with interest.

:rolleyes:

Ron Earp

Admin
we've been hacked!!!!!!

You fellows are right, we got hacked. Happened right when I was on the forum this morning too. Thanks to those that sent email and Charles and Al for calling, I appreciate that.

Turns out what happened was very benign. The fellow could have done a lot worse, so one must be thankful he did not. Apparently, unless one takes steps to secure VB it has holes in it. When we switched to VB the install directory was left open, and, the fellow came in that way. He switched my user name to my Alias so I wouldn't notice, and, changed my admin login to direct to his email. When I logged in I had no admin rights, he changed that, so I couldn't get into the forum to fix things.

Luckily, VB is a highly supported forum and there are guns for hire all over to help solve problems. A programmer from Australia responded to my request for assistance and knew about this common security issue. Within about an hour he had it fixed up for a low cost and plugged some holes in VB as well.

While the hacker was in VB he used the mass emailer to email his message to most of the forum members. He does not have your email address, but when he used the mailer the mail looked like it came from me. Everything should be okay and your privacy has not been compromised unless he had it out for you and looked your profile up from the AdminCP directly, which we doubt he did.

Again, sorry for the troubles and I hope we avoid hacking in the future, but it could have been much worse. :eek:

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
"Saudi hackerz" (wannabee sk8tr boyz?)

"hy I am not bad man..." JUST A MORON!!!!!!!

Does anyone else see the irony in a professed follower of a group that wants to live in the middle ages hacking hi tech computer equipment?

One more proof of how good of a friend our "allies" the Saudis are....

Rick

What a time to join up. I got it, too. Funny how these clowns think they have the best thing going, but are dedicated to doing nothing but tearing down.

Passwords

Make sure all the critical passwords on the site are a combination of numbers, letters and punctuations characters and that the combination is over 8 in length. If you rely on words or a random collection of letters it is relatively easy to crack that. I reckon the word fuckwit aptly describes the people who do this

Back