13 hr at VIR 2013..new sponsor too

Glad to see that you guys have taken notice of OUR long term sponsor Baja Designs and gotten something on your cars other than an orange equipment LED light bar. It was easy to spot in the review mirror, but obviously left your drivers almost blind when other cars, like our Baja Designs equipped GTM, were not around. :)

Just an update:

We qualified the LMP p1 by a healthy margin. In the one lap of qualifying we got, we ended up at a 1:57, which is a very conservative lap...I think it could be much closer to a 1:53 or a 1:51 with our current package and below the 1:50's with more power and without DOT tires haha. Second place qualified at a 2.01 I believe.

The diesel is coming along and has proven to be quite the well-handling car. Unfortunately, we have less power than most miatas to this point, but are still managing to run times near the front. They qualified p17 I believe, out of around 50 or more cars.

There are four drivers left. Myself, Matt Bell, Cameron Lawrence, and Victor Seabar. Myself, Matt and Cameron are all double-stinting (around 2 shifts consecutively of around 50 minutes each) in a rotation between the three of us, which should mean we each get around 4 hours or so in the LMP.

In the diesel, we expect to have mileage between 4-6 hours on one tank. Victor will be driving in this car, and Matt, Cameron, and myself will all take one three hour shift in this as well, with NO BREAKS! Should be pretty tiring, especially with the shifts in the other car, but everyone is really looking forward to tomorrow.

Here is the Superlite story of the LMP at this race.

Baja Designs Superlite LMP at 13-hour Charge of the Headlight Brigade

This year's 13-hour classic started off with a bang as Pro drivers Ryan Ellis, Matt Bell and Cameron Lawrence pedaled the Superlite LMP to a pole time of 1:57, which was about 4-5 seconds faster than the next fastest car, and three seconds under the lap record which the Superlite SLC set last year in the race.

Ryan Ellis, who actually set the fast time in a limited qualifying session of only two laps in the car, said there was at least 5 seconds left in the car, but that traffic in the 55-car field had conspired to hold him back.

Ryan started the Superlite Cars LMP on the class and overall pole, and at the end of the first lap Ryan had pulled a Vettel-- opening up a multiple-second advantage on the rest of the field, with ease. As each lap passed, the lead became greater, and the team was looking forward to a great battle over the next 13 hours.

Unfortunately, the battle was short-lived as the engine began to overheat after a few laps and went into limp-home mode. The crew tried valiantly to fix it, but to no avail, and the car had to be retired.

This year we had a very fast car, with advanced LED lighting from new sponsor Baja Designs that brilliantly lit the road ahead during night practice and qualifying, and had the speed to easily win overall. But the racing gods were against us this year, and despite the very quick times for the car (on DOT tires and with a very mild LS3 engine for economy), we just didn't have the reliability in the drivetrain we needed.

But there's always next year! The LMP has shown itself to be formidable at the track, and as it is developed, promises to be even faster, and more reliable.
1391785_655872291109724_145633555_n.jpg

Yes Mike you are correct it was the (TAC), Matt actually borrowed one from my car and slaved it in and the system worked just fine, however the loaner petal wasn't physically compatible for a drop in and go.

Typical early development gremlins. The car has shown its capabilities though and I'm sure some other competitors are a bit worried for the future.

Maybe a little more 'shaking out' before a bigger event? I'm sure seeing the SUPERLITE CARS logo in a few more races would only strengthen the brand for everyone. Hah! I doubt if Ryan would object.

Ron Earp

Admin
I was up racing at VIR this weekend and the RCR cars were stunning. I hated to see them retire, but they were not alone as by the end of the night probably 1/5 of the cars had been retired or at least taken out of the hunt by major repairs. Our own team had to replace front brake rotors about six hours in but still managed to retain our P2 finish due to a fast change crew. That LMP is going to be a very difficult car to beat.

Race Monitor. If you don't have it on your phone, get it. It allows you to view the results of most any motorsport event in the US (and World I believe) timing in real time. Costs only a couple of bucks and well worth it.

Race Monitor for RMonitor

timing_small.png

I use it all the time at SCCA events and it is an invaluable tool.

It's getting close to that time of the year, Is there any hints or talk about any RCR products being at the 13 hour race this year?

Back