1967 Sebring Poster

Pat

Supporter
I raced in a club race in Sebring this past weekend and in the Kenilworth Hotel there is a poster hanging for the 1967 race. It has the red #1 and the blue #2 MKII's on the back straight. Would anyone know where I could get a reproduction. The art is beautiful.

Regards,
Veek

If it's the one with the date in blue along the top and SEBRING in blue along the bottom then the artwork is by Michael Turner and it's expensive. I've seen them go for $200-$400. I don't know of any reproductions.

Cheers

Rob

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Rob,
You are familiar with the same poster. After reading your post I did a search for Michael Turner and found two for sale and they are pricey. I'll need to work on the bride for one under the Christmas tree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ran across the '67 poster elsewhere & did some looking around. Still not seeing any reproductions yet, but I did see a picture from Christie's auction of an original, just thought I'd share for those interested.

d2037340x.jpg

From Christie's auction found here

Sebring, 1967 - An original poster for the event with artwork by Michael Turner depicting two Ford GT40's battling it out. 19x24in.(48x61cm.) | Christie's

If anyone has a better image I'd love to see it!

Pat

Supporter
Sorry Matt, I didn't see your post. I was able to acquire one of the original posters from an interesting lady in Las Vegas. I have it framed with polarized glass so it doesn't photo that well so I'm not sure if it's a better image or not.

Attachments

• Sebring 1967 poster (2).jpg
    Sebring 1967 poster (2).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 713

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

That's a great poster, I do not remember ever seeing that one!

I think the red one depicts the 1966 winner. Perhaps with the ghost of Ken Miles driving.

I'll have to keep an eye out....

Pat

Supporter
You've nailed it Jim. It looks like the battle between the Miles/Ruby #1 and Gurney/Grant #2.
It seems that all the Sebring posters I've seen feature the previous year's winner.

As far as Gurney and Miles go, the two drivers then began a duel to see who could maintain the lead and began passing and repassing each other. This did not sit well with team manager Carroll Shelby and he sent out the signal for both of them to slow down. It was assumed he felt that it was way too early in the race for this kind of nonsense.

The signal was promptly ignored by both drivers. So, Shelby walked over to the pit wall and sent a signal they wouldn’t be able to ignore. Shelby waved a “knock-off” hammer at them. The drivers complied and began doing 3-minute laps with Gurney in the lead.

Attachments

• Miles Ruby.jpg
    Miles Ruby.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 564
  • Gurney Grant.jpg
    Gurney Grant.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Yes indeed, X-1 is the red roadster in the 67 poster. This was originally built by McLaren who were commissioned directly by Edsel Ford to to create a winning lightweight CanAm car. After extensive testing and after being fitted with a 2 speed semi auto T44 transmission, Ken Miles saw its potential on the shorter circuits so had a word in the ear of Ford who 'repossessed' it from McLaren and had it shipped to SAI who upgraded it to the X1 GT Mk11 spec, after which it won its only race outing at 12 Hrs Sebring 66.

Presently this car is under total exact reconstruction/restauration in France & UK but is soon to be shipped to NZ for completion. The whole project is being carried out with the extensive technical support, sanction and direct assistance of Bruce McLaren Racing Ltd's original build team, the majority of which are still based out in NZ.

More to come further down the line (but on a separate thread - sorry to have hijacked this one)

G.

Attachments

• X1GTMk11 winner Sebring 66.jpg
    X1GTMk11 winner Sebring 66.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 652

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for sharing, I hope they plan to restore it to the Sebring livery. If anyone has any photos or other news of the restoration, please share.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
General agreement that the "X1" no longer exists and the remains are buried in LA.

Edsel Ford II was 17 in 1966 and I seriously doubt he had any say in the build of the car.

Perhaps Mr. Spain can shed further light on this?

Hello Veek: – yes, X1 is being finished in it final livery as per Sebring 66 (i.e. X1 GT MK11 spec) but parts relating to the original long nosed version are also being accumulated as part of the overall project.

Hello Rick Muck Mark IV:- Please be assured that the research has been done meticulously and carefully. Extensive information on construction techniques, materials, test reports and previously unpublished construction photographs has been accumulated by the team over the past 2 years directly from well respected ex McLaren engineers/drivers and other sources including Ford Archive dept. Mr Spain should have my email details and is free to make contact in order to verify the information collected if so required. If one refers to the ‘GT110’ page of Mr Spain's last publication then that will tell all that was previously generally known about X1 before our research started.

Ref. Edsel Ford - I can understand and appreciate your doubt. X1 was actually referred to by McLaren team as ‘Big Ed ‘ after Edsel. Again, all can be independantly verified if so required.

We have planned to post updates on a separate well respected forum local to where the restauration is being carried on once the time is right. But the attached photograph is a small taster showing X1 being rolled out from Feltham workshop after completion (I have been asked to mention that Copyright applies as regards any publication)

G.

Attachments

• BigEd3 (reduced).jpg
    BigEd3 (reduced).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 386

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Ref. Edsel Ford - I can understand and appreciate your doubt. X1 was actually referred to by McLaren team as ‘Big Ed ‘ after Edsel. Again, all can be independantly verified if so required.

I will defer to Ronnie Spain in this matter but the "Big Ed" Edsel reference is to the Edsel car, NOT Edsel Bryant Ford II. The Edsel car was considered a failure as was the X1 in Can Am type racing. I stand by my comment that the car was NOT done at the behest of EBF II.

Last edited:
Dear Rick Muck Mark IV.

Ok, my friend - keep cool! I am not quite clear on what you are saying to be honest but it is fine for you to defer to Mr RS, but 'Big Ed' was definitely the name given to X1 by McLaren team when they built the car.
Mr RS has full details of the whole ex McLaren team members who are assisting us with the X1 project and is free to contact them about this if he feels it is important.

Re your comment of 'X1 was a Can Am failure' - yes agreed, our letter from Chris Amon confirms it as "a terrible Can Am car but very good long distance racer". Chris hated the car in its early outings but Ken Miles saw its potential for long distance circuits.
If anyone is interested then we will collate and upload the history of the car (as given by the McLaren guys on the inside) once we get some spare time, but in a new separate thread.

Gary

Hi Gazza,

Your pic shows earlier X1 trim / tail as compaired to Sebring Mark II specs. Would love to hear more about the project. I have a special fondness for the roadsters.

--- Doug

Hello Doug

Yep- last photo was of X1 in its original form. Attached is the final spec (courtesy Ford Archives) of its final pit stop at Sebring 66 where it went on to win.

Nice original press photo also attached of the happy winning drivers Ken Miles & Lloyd Ruby. Sadly neither are with us any more.

We will get project updates posted over the coming months if there is an interest here, but the construction is actually in limbo at the moment due to everything being in transit to NZ.

Actually, we have already given a committment to the NZ based forum theroaringseason.com reference the build log but we will do our best to keep GT40s.com informed if required.

If there is a general interest from members of this forum then I will try to get the team to agree that we upload info on the unique construction techniques for this complex one-off chassis design together with a selection of the original construction photos as well as up to date images of the project as it progresses.
Gary.

Attachments

• Last pit stop sebring 66.jpg
    Last pit stop sebring 66.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Miles Ruby celebration #7.jpg
    Miles Ruby celebration #7.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 327

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Hello Veek: – yes, X1 is being finished in it final livery as per Sebring 66 (i.e. X1 GT MK11 spec) but parts relating to the original long nosed version are also being accumulated as part of the overall project.

Hello Rick Muck Mark IV:- Please be assured that the research has been done meticulously and carefully. Extensive information on construction techniques, materials, test reports and previously unpublished construction photographs has been accumulated by the team over the past 2 years directly from well respected ex McLaren engineers/drivers and other sources including Ford Archive dept. Mr Spain should have my email details and is free to make contact in order to verify the information collected if so required. If one refers to the ‘GT110’ page of Mr Spain's last publication then that will tell all that was previously generally known about X1 before our research started.

We have planned to post updates on a separate well respected forum local to where the restauration is being carried on once the time is right. But the attached photograph is a small taster showing X1 being rolled out from Feltham workshop after completion (I have been asked to mention that Copyright applies as regards any publication)

G.

Please tell more

I live in Ashford so probably about 2 miles away and never heard anything about this through any grapevine so this has been a very well kept secret.

That said mine is only a replica but I love drooling over originals

regards
ian

Gary / Gazza, I am sometimes a bit slow... Can you clarify whether you have "found" the original X1 and are restoring it, or if you and the team are doing a recreation of it following original build practices / design information. Thanks, Bill

Back