2003 GT40 vs Kit

I'm new to this forum. Hello to everyone and my hats off to all the builders and owners of a fantastic car.

I am curious as to what the feelings are concerning Fords release of the new GT40. Albeit not an exact reproduction nor are the aftermarket kits. If you include your labor into the final price of just about any kit you have got to be getting close to the 2003 factory price of around $100,000. I realize the 3 Ford GT40s for 2003 will go welllll beyond $100,000 but 2004, 2005??

If you, as some of you have,are buying a kit today what was behind your decision to build instead of waiting until ????.

Thanks for your input and congrats on your car.

Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
Two different cars for two different markets.

The GT40 replicas are true to the original intent of a purpose built car - for road racing. Fortunately they can be adapted to road use as well. Light weight, great power, and fantastic looks.

The new car is larger, heavier, and is after a different market segment.

Both look great in my opinion, but if they were equal costs (which they are not) I'd still go for the GT40 replica as opposed to the new Ford GT.

Ron

I have been led to belive that the new GT will be in the price range of $125,000.00, and you can figure the dealers will get premium money plus a little extra.
I will have my car on the road for under $75,000.00 and be able to drive it this year and it will be like the GT40s I have loved for years.
I like the new car very much, but in some ways it is just too slick and clean to be a race bred car. I think it just has GT40 flavor.

VIC

CAV-40
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag trans
wink.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
First any factoring in of labor costs just isn't realistic. I, and I speak only for myself, took on this project as a hobbie. So the "labor cost" really comes down on the asset side of the legger. Second althought I would love to have a new Ford GT it still would not be the one I built myself. Third a 100,000 dollar kit GT40 would certainly out perform one of the new cars. They are much lighter, and would be even more so for a 100k, and would have, if I did it, 500 ft/lb gearbox, much better brakes, a really strong 302 500HP or so, and more tire. All this tranlates into a much faster car. On top of all this the old lady just has the history. There's a lot of good reasons to buy a new Ford GT, Proper interior, fit finish, but I guess they are not what I wanted in a "racecar on the street".
Lastly I will be suprised if any of the new Ford GT's go for 100K. You write your check and get what you want, the American way! Welcome to the coolest forum on the web!

The new GT is no where near our replicas or the real thing. If you put a Zo6, a Viper and a new GT next to each other and had a thousand people walk up and pick which one they would want. I'll bet the majority would still pic the GT. Mainly I believe this because of the styling. It has way more WOW! factor than the other two. It has the exotics of rear engine and the "looks" of a great grand touring race car.
Even after I have said all that I would pick the Viper GTS coupe. I think that the Viper has about the best all around performance of the three. As with the original GT the Viper has made it's place in racing history.
Personally I feel the new GT got screwed when they shoehorned in that huge over weight engine that was meant for front wheel drive cars. They could have went the extra mile as Chrysler did and put in an aluminium block of 10 or even 12 cylinders.

Hersh
smile.gif

The 2004 Ford GT has an all alloy block and there is talk of a V10 or 12 from people close to the project regarding a special edition version.

The production version is also getting an aero package so it will look different to the concept, It also sits higher due to the production version using conventional suspension (like the original) instead of the pushrod setup.

The part extruded alloy spaceframe structure will also be stiffer in both bending and torsion compared to the originals and the replicas. The extra mass and engine driveability of the supercharged 5.4l truck motor bore and stroke will be the only thing which will hold this car back.

Ron Earp

Admin
That motor and its' weight will definitely hold it back.

I know Ford targeted 3100 or 3200 lbs. But there is another thread that had bets on weights and we all know Ford is typically underweight on the estimates. With fuel and oil if that thing comes in under 3500 I'll be dipped in s*%#. They need to toss that motor though, I agree with Hershal on this one.

Ron

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Back