Is there any ny differnce of the loctaion of the electric harness, fuse box locaton on Left Hand Drive vs Right Hand Drive GT40 manufacturers?

I have been thinking of buying a GT40 MK1 replica kit or a ready built GT40 for a couple of years now so i have a some questions about the GT40

When it comes to the different GT40 manufacturers replica manufacturers is the location of the electric harness, fuse box/ electric components different for Left Hand drive vs Right Hand Drive cars?
Or is the location more identical?
I know that much of this is up to the builder of the car but let`s say you are building an Left Hand Drive GT40 where does the electric harness, fuse box components sit located?

Note that if i decide to build a car i would prefer to get it as close as possible as the original except for the fact that i will only have a Left Hand Drive car.
If was to buy a ready built car that is Right Hand Drive the first thing i would do is to convert the car to a Left Hand Drive car.

Below is just a picture of an electric harness i found on the net (It says it is for an GT40 on the website)

Attachments

• Bilde_2023-12-11_190428664.png
    Bilde_2023-12-11_190428664.png
    740.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I have been thinking of buying a GT40 MK1 replica kit or a ready built GT40 for a couple of years now so i have a some questions about the GT40

When it comes to the different GT40 manufacturers replica manufacturers is the location of the electric harness, fuse box/ electric components different for Left Hand drive vs Right Hand Drive cars?
Or is the location more identical?
I know that much of this is up to the builder of the car but let`s say you are building an Left Hand Drive GT40 where does the electric harness, fuse box components sit located?

Note that if i decide to build a car i would prefer to get it as close as possible as the original except for the fact that i will only have a Left Hand Drive car.
If was to buy a ready built car that is Right Hand Drive the first thing i would do is to convert the car to a Left Hand Drive car.

Below is just a picture of an electric harness i found on the net (It says it is for an GT40 on the website)
You might want to take a look at some original GT40s before trying to replicate one. I don’t think any of the available kits replicate the original chassis. Most are either tube or aluminum tub. Seems folks go in one of three directions 1) a tribute car 2) a semi-modern interpretation or 3) a track car. Also, there is cost, the more original components are the more expensive they are. Finally, the originals were race cars and as such were often considerably modified throughout their lifetimes so pinning down what original is can be very challenging unless you base your build on a museum car.
Perhaps the most well know MK1 is chassis 1075 which won Le Mans twice. This YouTube video should give some idea of how beat up originals are and why making an original is challenging at best.

Thanks for taking the time to answert my question
When i have dicided on which kit to go for i suppose the fact that i only will build a left hand drive car will hav something to say on where to place the fuse box and the routing of the wires/ wire harness

Howard Jones

Supporter
There is only one thing I hate about working on my GT40 (GTD40 is the manufacturer) and that's doing ANYTHING under the dashboard. A word to the wise. Anything you mount under the dash will be regretted sooner or later. If at all possible, place things that you can somewhere else or at the very least on the passenger footwell side.

If I was doing it all again I would fabricate a sealed container (sealed from the engine room with access from the interior) and mount it on the firewall behind the passenger seat. I would place the main electrical connection and fuse box inside and have a removable cover for it behind the seat,. This way I would only have to remove the seat and the cover. Another possible location for this kind of arrangement might be the forward foot box bulkhead up high with a removable panel cover on the passenger side bulkhead under the front bonnet.

More advice (unsolicited but free) when at all possible fix the nut on the backside for everything that you can. There are many ways to do this but avoid at all costs, the need for someone to hold the nut on the outside of the car or underneath the floor so that you can tighten the bolt from the other side. Design this so that you have the best wrench clearance on the bolt side.

Neil

Supporter
There is only one thing I hate about working on my GT40 (GTD40 is the manufacturer) and that's doing ANYTHING under the dashboard. A word to the wise. Anything you mount under the dash will be regretted sooner or later. If at all possible, place things that you can somewhere else or at the very least on the passenger footwell side.

If I was doing it all again I would fabricate a sealed container (sealed from the engine room with access from the interior) and mount it on the firewall behind the passenger seat. I would place the main electrical connection and fuse box inside and have a removable cover for it behind the seat,. This way I would only have to remove the seat and the cover. Another possible location for this kind of arrangement might be the forward foot box bulkhead up high with a removable panel cover on the passenger side bulkhead under the front bonnet.

More advice (unsolicited but free) when at all possible fix the nut on the backside for everything that you can. There are many ways to do this but avoid at all costs, the need for someone to hold the nut on the outside of the car or underneath the floor so that you can tighten the bolt from the other side. Design this so that you have the best wrench clearance on the bolt side.
I mentioned this before and mine is a completely different car, but putting switches, circuit breakers, or instruments in a fold-down or removable panel saves lots of headaches later. My panels are removable with two thumb screws to access the rear connections. Blind threaded inserts (RivNuts & Nutserts) are your friends.
Switch Panel Wiring a.jpg
Switch Panel Legends.jpg

Attachments

• Switch Panel 1.jpg
    Switch Panel 1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 35
I don’t make any distinction between the LHD and RHD Superformance GT40’s on my GT40 wiring diagrams. There is a difference in the wiring between the MKI and the MKII cars. Mostly in the lighting in the front and rear clams, hence two separate wiring diagrams. Neither designs is as per the originals. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.
BLAS

On the ERA. the relays and circuit breakers are mounted on a bracket on the "passenger-side" front firewall. Hence, much of the dash harness is mirrored between LHD and RHD versions.

Back