2006 Ford GT info....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK guys, for '06 Ford will offer option "68G"- "blue/orange heritage paint livery. If the "68G" (68 Gulf) isn't a clue the dsecription of the option is as follows:
-Heritage Blue clearcoat paint
-Epic Orange racing stripes on center of hood, roof and decklid
-White vinyl roundels (2)on each door, (1) on hood and (1) on decklid (total of 4)

Stick the Horeshoes on the deck and call yourself Jacky Icyx!

Also new Tungsten Silver paint replaces silver. Everything else is the same.
Rick
Rick

They can paint them whatever colour they like. Great car but it will never be a GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They can paint them whatever colour they like. Great car but it will never be a GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's much closer than a parts/kit car!

From a purist's viewpoint it will never be the same car but from a practical stand it is probably better. It would be interesting to get an original and a new car on the track side by side and see which one wins.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]

But it's much closer than a parts/kit car!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. There are a number of very close replicas available now that offer much better performance than the original or the new Ford GT. The Ford GT is a very different car than a GT40, very different. Much larger, much heavier, and has a very different styling than a GT40.

Ron

I'd have to side with you, Ron. The new "Ford GT" is a very fine car - and "GT" is probably the correct designation. It does not appear to be a true "road racer". Ford did a fine job of making a car for the street - but all those streetable things come at the cost of weight, size, etc.

Tom B - perhaps you can list a few of the particular attributes that in your assessment cause you to say "it's much closer than a parts/kit car". Indeed, it's a 2-seater ford, with mid-mounted V8, and the silhouette of the vehicle has the 'spirit' of the Mark I GT-40, but that's about where the similarities end.

Mitch D

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, Tom is new here and Tom owns (according to his profile) a Ford GT so I'd suspect he might be a little biased. ;-)

Completely different cars. Ford would like folks to believe that they are selling a Ford GT40 again, but that simply isn't the case.

If you want a Ford GT40 and can't buy 1076, then call Superformance, Roaring Forties, ERA, etc., etc. and have them build you a turnkey car and you'll have a much closer car to a GT40. If you want a Ford GT on the other hand, then call Ford! My local dealership in Cary NC had three about three weeks ago, I imagine they still have them as they haven't exactly been flying off the lots with the dealer pricing mess going on.

Ron

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
If you want a Ford GT40 and can't buy 1076, then call Superformance, Roaring Forties, ERA, etc., etc. and have them build you a turnkey car and you'll have a much closer car to a GT40.

[/ QUOTE ] Or a DRB. Then, I'm also a little biased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No worries Ron, no offence taken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think it's perfect timing from Ford to introduce the Gulf colour option now. Sales are starting to slow, initial demand has been met, bring out a trump card or two to increase sales. This would have been the plan from the start.

Found this article and photos of gulf coloured Ford GT(click here). Is this the exact same colour scheme as that seen at Pebble Beach? Interesting that it has roundels.

And honestly I think Ford hit the mark exactly with the Ford GT. Producing a car that gets it's inspiration from a GT40, but is everyway a better and more comfortable car for the street is pure genius.

If someone wants a GT40, they either go buy an original, go buy/build a kit or buy/build a model. All depends on budget, time, motivation, insanity etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If they want a great Ford built sports car that reminds them of a GT40, they buy a Ford GT. Of course some lucky people have combination of the above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A head on picture from Concorso Italiano

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2212&cat=670

I'd certainly prefer that car or the pure silver for a daily driver over most of the other colors I have seen. Too bad the dealer's are such wanks about these. They'll suffocate the new GT because, well, they are American car dealers. Either inflated ego's or corporate goons. Some GT's I bet are starting to celebrate birthdays at dealerships. Ha! Great use of working capital. They get to sell the rest of the dealership at Employee Pricing. Wouldn't want to examine that return on equity to closely. Now I'll turn off my rant.

Chuck

BTW, I can now buy a 2004-2005 Porsche 996 GT2 with extended warranty to 100,000 miles and 7 years for cheaper than a base GT. Course the GT2 will smoke the GT but, more importantly, has less loss of investment risk as the GT2 will likely not be repeated since Porsche is returning to prototype/sportscar racing. This situation would never have happened if the dealers knew what Toyota knows. MOVE PRODUCT. Now I'm done.

Talking Porsches, I can recall Porsche displaying their new Boxster next to either a 550 or RSK as if this was the new one. Sort of like Fords smoke and mirror act with the GT40, ooops sorry FordGT. Regards

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well, IMHO it looks fantastic in the Gulf colours, I would like one parked in my garage. Then, I would like a date with Elle MacPherson also.
Can't afford either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mmmmm, Elle. The most trouble I ever got into for buying a Sports Illustrated issue was due to a picture of Elle in the swimsuit edition. I wonder if she's too tall to sit in a Gulf colored GT?

A Porsche Cayman brochure that I saw pushed the Porsche racing heritage to new highs. But the Cayman is so coyote ugly, it better be fast.

Back to work.

Chuck

[ QUOTE ]
Talking Porsches, I can recall Porsche displaying their new Boxster next to either a 550 or RSK as if this was the new one. Sort of like Fords smoke and mirror act with the GT40, ooops sorry FordGT. Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with Porsche displaying the boxster and the 550 together? The're both Porsches, and only someone completely ignorant to the brand would confuse the two. I would have a problem with Beck/thunder Ranch/other kit displaying their car next to the 550.

My point is simply this -

- All of the companies noted in this thread make kits, except Ford.
- They can't be titled or registered (in the USA) as anything other than kit/assembled vehicles. In some states its nearly impossible to get a kit car titled (and getting more difficult each year).
- None of the kits will pass crash/safety testing (USA).
- None of the kits will pass EPA regulations (USA).

As a former owner of a Superformance Cobra, I have some knowledge of the kit car world. I never thought that I actually owned a orginal Cobra, and anyone with real knowledge of the cobra thought so either.

The Ford GT is manufactored by a automotive company and is recognized as such. When I purchased the GT, I was buying a Ford GT, not a GT40. I was never confused about which I was purschasing.

If Ford was really trying pass the GT off as GT40, why just not call it the GT40, and say the company is REMAKING the GT40? I don't believe anyone thinks that its the same car. No one is trying to fool you.

The Ford GT is a FORD, as the GT40 is a FORD. The Ford GT is based on the GT40, but is a very different car.

I dissagree with your comment about the "smoke & mirror act", if anyone is trying to pull the "smoke & mirror act" off, its not Ford.

Happy motoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple of minor points. I haven't really been following this discussion, so am not taking sides here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, as I understand it, if you build it with a used engine & transmission, the EPA considers it a "reconstruction" and it does therefore meet EPA regulations. Someone posted a link once to the relevant EPA regulations on their web site,

[ QUOTE ]
If Ford was really trying pass the GT off as GT40, why just not call it the GT40

[/ QUOTE ]

There was some discussion about this as well. Ford does not own the rights to the GT40 name, else they would have called it the GT40.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
- None of the kits will pass crash/safety testing (USA).

[/ QUOTE ]

And neither will a real GT40!

Still, if you want a GT40 you can't get any closer to the real thing than a replica, unless your last name is Walton, Gates, etc. and even then, it is doubtful you'll get to drive the car in full anger because of its' historical value and monetary value. Nobody wants to be known as the owner who wadded up 1075 on a track day.

I'll take the replica. It might not be a "real" GT40 but it is better, cause it can be in my garage and I can drive it like I own it.

Didn't think I'd see these sorts of discussions over here - real or fake, kit or replica, etc. - because there are so few real GT40s and so few people own them and, there is no Shelby making GT40 replicas so that sort of puts a stop to all that banter.

Tom B. Ford tried to buy back the GT40 name for their new car, but the price was too high to justify. They are from all reports a great car and I'll always look up to them. I have no choice they tower over a real or replica GT40. Regards

Back