289/302 Needed

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Hi, I am looking for a 289/302 low milage well built street-able semi-race motor for my RCR MKl GT40.

Michael 310-968-3017

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got parts that make up a 289:

289 block, J302 (Alan Root aluminum heads), roller cam, Victor Jr intake, TRW 12:1 that are shaved on the dome for 10.6:1, aluminum flywheel. Ran well, but consumed oil, higher RPM motor. Short block and parts. Would need some work, but all functional.

Terry

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks everyone. I have found a VIN stamped "K" Hipo 289 with both race ready Hipo and alloy heads. The motor is prepared for vintage racing and came out of Shelby 5S003!

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
I can also verify those XE blocks are very rare , had one and it went to Dr Ashe for use in a original 40' - they were an over the counter piece in the 60's but very few people shoveled out the money for them.

If you are building a new 40 the boss 302 block is good if you are keeping the displacement 331 or under -

Keith

Cannot see anyway that that engine is not good value for such an historic piece. I would grab it like a shot if I had a '40 - in fact I'd be prepared to pay $9,500 for the block itself!

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Shouldn't that 5S003 Motor go back to 5S003 ? Assuming the partial ford vin checks out with pardee' ?

Excellent question. It was the owner himself that sold the engine as the car is undergoing full restoration and it is not the original motor. However it spent the last 20 years including many years in the vintage race circuit.

The motor, having all the "K" components including two sets of heads were a gear find and would be correct for any small block to have emerged for Shelby American.

Pardee is aware of this motor which is early '65, 003 requires a motor with late '64 items. This motor should be so much better in my 40 than the Ford Racing junk that it came with.

Chuck

Supporter
Michael

I have a 302 sitting on an engine stand ready to drop into a GT40. About 2000 miles since it was completely rebuilt. Canton oil pan and short water pump. It runs very well. I pulled it out of the RCR GT last fall when we did an engine swap. Let me know if you are interested and I can send pics and details.

Chuck

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Michael

I have a 302 sitting on an engine stand ready to drop into a GT40. About 2000 miles since it was completely rebuilt. Canton oil pan and short water pump. It runs very well. I pulled it out of the RCR GT last fall when we did an engine swap. Let me know if you are interested and I can send pics and details.

Chuck

Thank you for your note. Before you wrote I had already purchased the motor from Shelby 5S003. We are in the process of fitting the needed components to go back into the GT.

Thanks,
Michael

Back