289 for Southern GT

Hi, I'm about to start building a 289 for a Southern GT and would welcome some ideas in respect to front end combos (water pump / alternator / air con pump) that would suit a Southern GT firewall.
It'll be a 68 289 adorned with an 8 stack induction ca. 300 hp going into a Mk1
Cheers Stu

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, Moroso electric water pump/ short nose Weiand uprated alu waterpump/ low mount alternator, AC bracket from SGT. Short AC compressor. Alu pulleys from SGT to match his setup.

Which Gearbox?

Maybe this could help

Attachments

• FE8C35C8-75A1-40E1-ACAD-68AC6D64E903.jpeg
    FE8C35C8-75A1-40E1-ACAD-68AC6D64E903.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 483
  • 244731DE-AB2D-41B8-85D6-374E2DD596E9.jpeg
    244731DE-AB2D-41B8-85D6-374E2DD596E9.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 478

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I'm using the Moroso electric on my 351W, with a UN1 gearbox on my mk1. For the mk2 I'm running 351C with electric pump as well with ZF RBT. Issue here is that the engine is 40 mm more forward than for the UN1, giving very little clearance for the bulkhead. Otherwise, use an old alu water pump, remove the shaft and wheel inside. plug the hole (or get one ready made), run external waterpump like this type https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/aluminium-electric-water-pump-150-lmin
Thus getting a flush bulkhead panel...

Ed McClements

Supporter
Is the Sunbeam Tiger water pump an option? That's a SBF (though maybe a 260?) with a special short pump because of the little engine bay:-

tt127.jpg

Stuart - Mark is using an Edelbrock pump, though I don't know exactly which one.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Just to throw it out there, the 1976-78 mustang II cobra with 302ci. has a very short pump. My mustang has almost no room between the pump and the radiator really tight area. I will have to take a look after work to see if the outlets and inlets are in the same place as my GTD.

Hi. I have ditched the mechanical water pump on my SPF 40 and fitted a remote front mounted Craig Davies pump in front of the radiator and in place of the water pump housing fitted a blanking plate Craig Davies make specifically for the Ford Windsor engine. Very neat, provides better constant flow than a normal pump and means you don't need a hump in the firewall.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Just a tought.,. Plan your pump purchase with your pullies in mind so you get everything aligned. Mick can get you all the parts you need for the SGT in regards to waterpump, alternator low mounted, brackets and ac compressor. Short for ZF, standard ok for UN1.
Easier than rethinking the wheel:)
Morten

Back