295 50 VR 15 CR6ZZ tyre coming to the market

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Kim In your post above you question "porosity"....Please explain where this porosity would occur and why it would affect an 8" more than a 7.5 as you reference.....Also does anyone have an opinion as to the 215/295 Avon combo on a SPF GTMK11 vs Yokos......Any SPF MK11 guys w/ the Yokos have comments????? Tx Steve

Malcolm

Supporter
The Avons use liners in the construction so any loss of air would be by a bad seal with the tyre rim and not through the sidewall. The dunlop post historics leaked through the side wall and would have what could be described as porosity! Waste of beer, but pour a little on the sidewall of a dunlop post historic tyre and you can see it bubble away. Actually, water with washing up liquid does this too but who drinks that in a garage!

Malcolm:

Thanks for the info! I agree on the paint and would not want a solid painted name on the tire wall; I was actually hoping for the light (and often poor quality) stenciling that became associated with the race tires of the era (e.g., Goodyear). As you say, though, to each his own.

By the way, are they marked with any DOT data or lettering? Does Avon claim them to be US road legal?

Kim

Malcolm

Supporter
I think they do claim them ot be US legal but I am not in a position to guarantee that, you would need to talk to a US supplier which I know they have somewhere. They are UK legal if that helps.

Hi malcolm ,thinking about fitting the avons to my gtd ,any chance of some pics of your set up.trying to find that old school look is is proving to be quite difficult. regards
vincent.

have these come to pass?? I just stumbled onto this website. We own a Pantera and we are praying these tires come to market???
Thanks jeff

Malcolm

Supporter
I have had the 295/50/15 VR tyres on my car for some time now. The "right" sized front (for me) is still work in porogress!

We were at Silverstone last week on these tyres. They performed as hoped for. I wondedred if the tyre would go "off" after a couple of laps as the old Goodrich and Pirelli tyres were wont to do. But so far as I could tell, they stayed consistant throughout the day. We certainly got enough heat into them to make them go off if they were going to!

Back