295 50 VR 15 CR6ZZ tyre coming to the market

Malcolm

Supporter
I was contacted this morning by Avon who have confirmed that they have ordered a set of moulds be made for this tyre. The actual tyres themselves should now be available in July this year!

These new moulds will produce two sizes. A 295 50 15 and a 265 60 15. Both will be road legal here in UK so I guess the rest of the world too.

I am now hoping I can persudae them to bring a display or van full of tyres to the GTD club track day at Goodwood this year for people to see them in the flesh.

I still haven't been told the price, before you ask!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm, what is the widest size rim the tires will fit? I am using 8" fronts 12" rears. Thanks

Ron Earp

Admin
Ask them to insert a DOT stamp in that mould, following by some sort of number. Will keep the US inspection people at bay.

Just like to say thanks to Malc. for all the work he has put into getting this tyre combo out of Avon . I'm sure we all understand how much work goes into getting something like this off the ground...especially as he has now "retired" from GT 40 competition so won't see the benefit himself ( or get to try to beat me) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifon a road legal competition tyre!

[ QUOTE ]
especially as he has now "retired" from GT 40 competition so won't see the benefit himself ( or get to try to beat me) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifon a road legal competition tyre!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

And I second Jools comment - thanks Malc.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
I was contacted this morning by Avon who have confirmed that they have ordered a set of moulds be made for this tyre. The actual tyres themselves should now be available in July this year!

These new moulds will produce two sizes. A 295 50 15 and a 265 60 15. Both will be road legal here in UK so I guess the rest of the world too.

I am now hoping I can persudae them to bring a display or van full of tyres to the GTD club track day at Goodwood this year for people to see them in the flesh.

I still haven't been told the price, before you ask!

[/ QUOTE ]

Malcolm,
Would you please do the favor of restating/confirming the front tire size. 265 ???

Thanks,

Hi Malcolm
I need a new set of tyres for no5 - please add me to your list.

I need some sooner than July though as my front tyres have gone pourous - they are wet weather racing tyres "Blue Spot"? so are no good for the road anyway!! Is there a short term solution that someone can suggest?

Do the Dunlop Historics work "on road"?

Thanks
Simon

Malcolm

Supporter
Latest update is that the Avon Technical guys called me to discuss finer detail that the sales guys don't get involved in.

We are not the only interested group out there.

There is a requirement that a 60 profile be made. To meet our requirements and this other requirement the moulds are going to be initially a 265 60 15. The 295 width should follow later.

We discussed ZR versus VR ratings for speed. We settled on VR ratings which is a constant 2 hours running at 150 mph! To go to ZR rating means a lot more work and a higher price. The aim is to have these tyres below £200. That is just not possible with a ZR rated tyre.

If my memory serves me well, there should be two compounds to choose from when production fully up and running.

To answer the questions above. At least as best I can!!!!!

The push is for Avon to make a rear tyre. The matched front would have to come from their existing range, if you find that acceptable. The size will depend on your car's wheel arch etc etc. From what I see the choice is either a 245 50 15 or a 215 60 15. For GTD's (my own background) a 245 50 will cause damage to the inner wheel arch. In addition the originl factory sizes were a 215 front matched with a 265 rear. Guess which way I am heading here!

The ideal front size from my perspective is 235 50 15. When I mention this to Avon, they say, lets get the rear out first and then we can worry about the front!

From what you say, Rob, this may not suit you well.

Porous tyres, eh, Simon? Racing tyres do not have liners so are likely to be porous. It is a matter of luck on just how porous your tyres are. Dunlop Historics are also porous. My current set can lose 10 psi over night. As it is a racing tyre, this is within acceptable limits to Dunlop. I would prefer better but in the meantime I store my car off the ground. And I have a compressor.

This set of tyres are worse than my last set, they lost "just" 10 psi over a week.

The historics are not all road legal. Check them as it depends on the sizes you buy. Don't invalidate your road insurance, it isn't worth it.

No idea on a short term solution other than risking Dunlops or having a lesser speed rating ie HR etc. If it is just fronts you want then there are existing Avon tyres now but then you will be mismatched from your rears. If you are ok with that, great.

Timescales are not under control of anyone that I know. I cannot imagine that these tyres will be ready by July. I would love them to be but so far I am now into my third year of waiting.

Malcolm

if someone needs tyres right now i still can get my hands on a couple of maxis tyres (6 pieces)
it's 295/50/15 and vr rated
and the price is about 200 euro's plus pp offcourse
just lett me know

Frank

Hi Frank,

I am just about to buy some 295/50 R15 Maxxis and I am interested to know if you are running them ok.
The rolling radius is slightly larger than 265/50 and I presume you have used a larger front tyres to equalise the front & rear ride heights. I am considering 225/60 Maxxis for the front,is this what you are using?
Cheers

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

sorry to tell you but if you take a look at my other postings you'd see that i'm a long way from driving yet but i'd buy the tyres because they stopped producing the vr tyres they only make h tyres now
so i'd realy don't know yet
and on the front i still need to order them but they will keep on making them in those sizes so there's no hurry with that

Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
I spoke yesterday with Avon and they now have the moulds back at the factory and expect to have some tyres during June.

Would love to see some pictures of the tires and the tread pattern when you get them.
Thanks Ken

Has anyone tried the 295/50 - 215/60 combo on their GT40? I have an SPF Mk I on order and have been advised that this is the 'best' choice for my car. Does anyone have some first hand experience with them in the dry and wet?

One concern I have is that the Avon (UK) website lists the max width for the CR6ZZ 215/60 as 7.5", while on some re-seller sites it is listed as 8". Is there going to be a 'porosity' problem going with 215s on my 8" front BRM-type rims? The last thing I want is to be re-inflating the tires every few days. Now that they are making it to the US, do they have 'DOT' markings on them?

Finally, are the CR6ZZ tires available with the large, white stenciled 'AVON' letters on the side? Looks great, but I've been unable to see them up close or find any good photos of them.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Kim

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Kim

I have the tyre set up you mention above on my car. It works just fine for most applications especially road use. These tyres are not for serious competition work! I have yet to be caught in the wet but from those who have, I understand that they are ok. With the historic looking tread pattern, they will get you home in the wet but do back off the throttle!

My front rims are 8 inch wide. The tyres stay pumped up for me.

No white lettering as standard. I doubt it is an option so you will need to buy some white paint and a slim brush. Personally I don't like that look but we are all different, which makes it more interesting and fun!

Back