351W GT40?

Were any of the Wyer cars ever run with 351 power? I have a set of race prepped Gurney heads and I'd sure like to use them on a 351+ and pass the 'straight face test"

Thanks,

Roger

Roger,

From the process of elimination, I would say "no". The original motor was a 289, then when they increased the capacity the went ALL the way to a big block 427. They only reduced the capacity when the rules required it... that is when they capped it at 5.0 Litres - hence the 302. The car then became obsolete as a frontrunner and was never seriously developed further.

Ron Earp

Admin
There were some stroked 302 cars run as I've references to 5.3 litre cars being run when allowed. However, this still isn't a 351W and I couldn't find any of these being run at all.

Ron

Roger,

In researching my GT40 project, I came across a site which told of some 351's that
were used in MK1's 1968-1969. What chassis' they were installed in, and how many, I don't know. They may have switched them back to 289's or 302's. I believe it was one of the sites on the GT40 Website Index, where I saw the reference to 351 MK1's.
Coincidentally, I am installing a 351 in
my DRB MK1.

Bill

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The first cars were built with the all aluminium 255 ci indy engines (the first five cars ). One of these cars was fitted with a mechanical fuel injection system and looks very interesting in that the exhausts were up the valley.
The next were 289 then the big block and back to the 302's.
I am not aware that any cars were built with 351's but I could be wrong.
I think that everybody needs to be aware that a lot of GT40's were delivered as "kits" less engine, no gearboxes, no trim, no paint etc, etc. I supose this could be a little ironic looking at some of the "holier than though " attitudes of some of the original owners.
I could be almost certain that none of the GT40's left the factory with 351's.
Best wishes,

Hi Roger
From Ronnie Spain's book (GT40 An individual History and Race Record)
By Far the most successful of three Mirage's In 1967 M1003 won first time out at Spa 1000Km in May 67 driven by Jacky Ickx and Dick Thompson.
It was suplied with a Holan Moody 351 fitted with webber's to Gulf Oil.
After a rebuild this car ended up as GT40 P/1075, the car that would go on to win Le Mans in both 1968 and 1969.

There an't no substitute for cubic inche's

Chris Melia
GT40 Mk111 351w
soon to be ZF DS25/2 trans

Roger - with Gurney heads, who the hell
cares if it's a 302, 351, 289, 427!
It'll still look great!

Now, if it's a NY inspection issue, that's
an entirely different matter.

Ian

Roger,

What better recommendation could you ask
for? Not only was a 351 installed in the rarest of the GT40's, but also in the most famous!

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351W/400+HP/G50
750 Edelbrock

cool.gif
cool.gif

My opinion: Who cares what the originals had. Unless you are restoring an original car for points or accuracy, put in whatever YOU like as long as it works for you. If I had that motor, I would definately run it in my car.

G

Although it seems few, if any, cars left the factory with 351W engines a numberwere certainly fitted with these for various races (notably the Mirages M.10001 & M.10003 and AMGT-2). I believe that some cars that raced in South Africa also had 351's. Many chassis numbers had a variety of engines throughout their lifetimes, from 256 to 289 to 302 to 351 and back again. If you've got a set of Gurney heads, go for it!!

Hi,

how big can a Ford small block be reliably made into- 360? 425?????

I understand the original 427 had poor water jacket design, and resulting overheating dramas.
Perhaps a big smallblock would be the way to go??

Rob
rolleyes.gif

MWGT40

Supporter
The 351 Windsor is a great engine but note that the famous 1075 Gulf car that won Le Mans twice did so with a 302 fitted, NOT a 351 Windsor.

Martin

Hi Martin
the question was "Were any of the Wyer cars ever run with 351 power? "

Yes M10003 had a 351 and was a JWA car
then as p1075 it had a 289 for Spar 26-5-68
Then a 305 for Watkins Glen 14-07-68
and a you say a 302 for Le Mans.
The displacement depends on the track and rules for the event.

Chris

Robert, A 302 can be stroked to 355. If you use a motorsport race block they can be 370. I would not recommend anything over 347. Our 347 are over 500hp in streetable trim.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

You gents that are currently running 351's, how straight forward is it to upgrade from a 302 & how does the car behave?

Presumably a ZF 'box is a *must*!

G

Julian the ZF G50 or G50-50 used in Porsches will handle the 351 just fine.

Lynn,

Wasn't there some debate over whether or not the G50 will fit? I seem to remember tales of having to invert the box, problems with oil surge & driveshafts in the wrong place?

The Ultima's use the G50 so I guess it must be a similar set-up??

regards

Julian,

DRB has been using G50's behind 302's for
a few years now, without any major problems.
The oil level is even with the shaft, so if you don't install a new seal, you might have
a leak. www.gt40australia.com has a photo
which shows the driveshaft angle as not being
very steep. I will let you know, as I will be
installing a G50/351W in my DRB in about a month.

Bill

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Back