3D Model - Reference car near Seattle?

Just a quick test render to share. Details are coming along nicely. I've finished most of the major forms and now focusing on details and break the model up into individual parts.

StreetTail.jpg

Just a quick test render to share. Details are coming along nicely. I've finished most of the major forms and now focusing on details and break the model up into individual parts.

View attachment 86739

That's looking great! I do have a question, aren't the F14 wheels more concave that that? I won't have mine for a couple of weeks but pictures appear they are or maybe it's just the angle?

GOOD EYE! You're correct! The wheels are from Turbo Squid as stand ins until I can get around to modeling them.
hummm. Modo has a cool radial fall off option that would work great to get the section closer. I think I'll try it out and re-post this weekend. Thanks.

Haha, I was wondering. I ordered F14s on mine and when it gets here would be glad to pull dimensions if it's help you any.

Kinda surprised me though, never would have thought flat wheels would look good on any car, but dang they actually look good on a SLC.

So far, awesome work!!

Final stretch before I have to shelf this for a bit. Tomorrow I'm starting on a 4 month whirlwind of high profile car builds for the LA Autoshow and a production interior. I cant wait to knock em out the park.

I still have a laundry list of things to do before I start separating the body and windows and add in all of the details. Feel free to nitpick and point out all of the flaws :)

Im getting an error when uploading attachments and it looks like my imgur links are not showing in the preview. Ill try to figure it out

qDC6H

nDmAJmm

Yep it seems the pictures are broken on my end as well. May have to upload through the forum if it'll let you. I hope imgur isn't following Photobuckets policy of not allowing 3rd party viewing.

Looks awesome Kevin. You've done an amazing job so far. The model is so clean that it looks like a NURBS model!

Trying to link Kevin's model again below.

6p9zUKx.jpg

nDmAJmm.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Del,

The badge is a gold/black enamel badge that is just a stand in, I haven't created the graphics for a final badge yet.

I've always felt the SLC nose looks like a blank canvas and needs a little branding love.

Hello Del,

The badge is a gold/black enamel badge that is just a stand in, I haven't created the graphics for a final badge yet.

I've always felt the SLC nose looks like a blank canvas and needs a little branding love.

Totally agree, just needs something there and possibly some fender or rocker SLC (or SL-C) emblems. I'm no artist by any means, but it got me thinking and I started a thread to see if people on here could collaborate on a front emblem and/or side ones. If you have any suggestions on it, please feel free to toss them out there!

Design An Emblem?

@MASON: WOW, Your version is turning out awesome! The detailing and environment lighting really makes it come to life. Thanks for posting my images. I've tried several times and not sure what is the issue/error.

I'm working on the cut lines now and hopefully will have an update over the next day or so.

@Kevin: Thanks so much for the compliments, as my industrial design teacher said, if you can't make it pretty, make it big, make it shiny, and paint it red! LOL

There's a whole lot of things to fix, but seeing your model progress is inspiring me!

What do you guys think about this badge? It's inspired by the "Shield" style emblems. I spent 2 hours picking out the dang fonts. Still needs some work, but the render came out pretty sick!

and YES I'm cross posting :thumbsup:

Ewxzuvm.jpg

Last edited:
Heck yeah!! I'm glad to help and it's your thread so cross post away! :) If any CAD work needs to be done once it's decided in the other thread, I'll be glad to contribute.

I'll admit I'm clueless on the files you shared. I saw STL and was excited, I though with it I could do a 3D print of the SLC (if mine can even do something that intricate). But when I saw the size of the STL, I'm guessing all the files you shared are needed for your 3D model? Can your program export to something a 3D printer could use? It'd be awesome to print one, even if I had to send it off to get done.

Once I get further along, I can prep some files for 3d print. I have a custom built 3d printer at home and my office has a whole array of 3d printers.

Since I'll prep them for my own printing, I can also send those out and put them on thingiverse

Once I get further along, I can prep some files for 3d print. I have a custom built 3d printer at home and my office has a whole array of 3d printers.

Since I'll prep them for my own printing, I can also send those out and put them on thingiverse

That would be awesome! I can already see a SLC sitting on my desk at work. Then I wouldn't have to explain what I'm building to everyone!

Slowly I've been working out the details and playing with the Modo Render. My past projects with Modo focused on the real-time render engines and used the Unreal materials. This project has opened me up to a ton of new features and lighting effects that are specific to global illumination. The GI features are good but the settings and menus are scattered through out the software. Its powerful but a complete mess.

Here are a few shiny red ones to keep up with Mason :)

DS_SLC-frontTipped.jpg
RedRear-DS.jpg
RED-Tipped-SLC.jpg

Holy cowl that's awesome! I actually really like the black wrap around from windshield to side windows. Though illegal on the road, it looks so awesome!

HAHA. Its actually black spray paint on the inside! However for some reason, that is frowned upon and may limit visibility. lol. Over the next few days, I should have a chance to model the window frames and add the black out along the edges. Then it should really start to come to life.

Back