5 point harness mounting points

I am installing a 5 point harness in my CAV/GTD space frame GT. The lap and submarine belts are no problem, but I was wondering where to mount the shoulder belts. There doesn't seem to be a strong mounting point in the rear bulkhead. Any help would be appreciated. Please contact aghbop @aol.com. Thanks

Malcolm

Supporter
Tony

You need to make a bar that runs across behind both seats. It bolts into the shoulder seat belt mounting point on each side. You need make it so that it runs in line with the angle section in the engine bay under the inner rear window and to also bolt to that angle section. But do not overtighten these bolts as the window may crack! Then you attach the eyelets for the harness straps to that cross bar. That was the factory way of doing it and it is how I did mine and has worked well for the last 17 years. And if you are making your own, put in some holes with 6 or 8mm threads so that later on you can bolt on a video camera mount!

I don't have any pictures on this one, but I am due to whizz my seats out soon so if you want a picture or two let me know. I made my own bar so this is not difficult to DIY.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The usual method is to make a bar which bolts in inside the cabin across the top of the seat backs. The bar is good and solid and bolts through into the strongest points at the ends and also through to the angle section which goes across under the window. The threaded inserts for the belt mountings are welded into this strong bar. The bars can be obtained from Wealden Engineering, Southern GT, MDA etc or you can make up your own. I have attached a pic of a typical example. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GTD harness barW.jpg
    GTD harness barW.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 356

Mike Pass

Supporter
This may be a better pic for you as this one has the inserts in the bar rather than the belts wrapping the bar.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GTD harness mountsW.jpg
    GTD harness mountsW.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 343
Back