917 parts resources?

I'm ordering an RCR 917 kit and looking for advice on the parts to make my car as authentic to the Steve McQueen #20 GULF car. Parts I'm looking for are as follows:

1. Chevy LS3 motor, bone stock (leaning towards SUMMIT RACING, but open to suggestions

2. Porsche G96.01 Transaxle (I have one at RCR on reserve, but open to one closer to Las Vegas in case it fails, I can hold the builder somewhat accountable)

3. Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure plate (leaning heavily toward whoever sells me the motor)

4. Air Conditioner system (leaning toward Vintage Air, may have to remove the evaporator fan and mount that nearby.

5. Custom Air Conditioner Condenser, approximately 36" wide and 6" tall

6. Custom Radiator, approximately 36" wide, 6" tall and DEEP core

7. Dashboard Switches

8. Alcantera leather for dashboard

9. Authentic GULF stickers

10. Proper size small NACA duct for in front of windshield

11. Mufflers as close to exhaust tube size as possible that sound exotic, but quiet enough not to get pulled over every 40 minutes. Basically quiet enough if you see a cop, you can drive normal and not get pulled over and pass the steady 2,000 RPM test they do on the side of the road.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Ditch the LS3 and fit a 3.4 Boxster engine instead, complete with Porsche transaxle. Sounds much better and its atleast Porsche drivetrain and you have lots of place for the fueltank.

Morten

Sorry to also not answer your question exactly. I'm cool with the LS3 but unless this is a street/show car, the G96.01 is not a great choice. My advice is keep saving if it's a financial issue. These builds take some time and you might not need all parts up front. I'm putting a G96.01 in my build...but it ain't a 917.

The reving/torque characteristics of a Porsche engine would match a G.96 gearing better but still not ideal for the track.

Ditch the LS3 and fit a 3.4 Boxster engine instead, complete with Porsche transaxle. Sounds much better and its atleast Porsche drivetrain and you have lots of place for the fueltank.

Morten
I haven’t even considered the Boxter engine and although I wish I had a shorter engine to replicate the horizontal cooling fan, it appears that the car would be abiut 100 horsepower less and about 3 grand more. Plus the LS3 is good to about 1,000 horsepower if ai decided to become absolutely insane… which is the trajectory.
What are the issues with the G96.01? I might need to look into whatever the mid engine Corvette is using for a transaxle, but I’m afraid to see the price!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Ask Alex, he has one running!

Ian

Ask Alex, he has one running!

Ian
I'm brand new here, whats Alex's handle here?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If you click on the circle next to any post it will open up and confirm who posted it

But Alex is EFNFAST

ian

917 is not easy or cheap to build - I think I put ~110k into my SL-C and close to $250k into my 917.

Better know somebody who can weld and has access to a machine shop - everything has to be custom on it because there's no fricken room.

Mine uses a Katech built 427 LS3 making ~700hp mated to a gbox built 930 transaxle.

Cooling isn't an issue - I run 1 front radiator and 2 massive rear radiators with 4 fans. I've never had a temperature issue in 7yrs of driving.

From a drivability/usability/enjoyment perspective I think the SL-C is superior to a 917. I'm 5'7 and I basically have to cram myself to fit into the cockpit. I suppose it might be roomier if you just did a single centre seat, but I was determined to fit my dad into there ... and I did ... but you're basically sitting right ontop of the other person. But hey, if nothing else with a 917 you can point to it and be like '917 motherfucker'.

Last edited:
917 is not easy or cheap to build - I think I put ~110k into my SL-C and close to $250k into my 917.

Better know somebody who can weld and has access to a machine shop - everything has to be custom on it because there's no fricken room.

Mine uses a Katech built 427 LS3 making ~700hp mated to a gbox built 930 transaxle.

Cooling isn't an issue - I run 1 front radiator and 2 massive rear radiators with 4 fans. I've never had a temperature issue in 7yrs of driving.

From a drivability/usability/enjoyment perspective I think the SL-C is superior to a 917. I'm 5'7 and I basically have to cram myself to fit into the cockpit. I suppose it might be roomier if you just did a single centre seat, but I was determined to fit my dad into there ... and I did ... but you're basically sitting right ontop of the other person. But hey, if nothing else with a 917 you can point to it and be like '917 motherfucker'.
Nice to meet you Alex! 250k into a 917, what items did you machine out of billet Gold? Isn’t that kind of heavy? I’m aiming for a budget of 75k, using the light blue gel coat, and all of my own labor. I have a mill, lathe, MIG and TIG welder, etc.

Does the SLC use a bigger tub, or is just the bodywork bigger? Have any pics of your 917? Sounds a little like that crazy Batman black one I saw on a Bailey Cars video on YouTube.
By the way, one if the reasons I’m building this car is to show up at a Porsche Club of America meet and magnet on a bug CHEVY bow tie novelty license plate and see who’s man enough to accept the fact that 16 pushrods got me to where am! The purists can go cry as I leave with every camera phone in attendance filming me as I idle away. MF!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I’ve got a 5.5L Twin turbo V12 fitted in my 917K build, but even if its only 510hp/650ft/lbs (850Nm) I struggle to find a transaxle that will handle the power for a decent price. Most transaxles I’ve found max out on 350-400Nm
Looks like I’m ditching the V12 for a Boxster as its plain bolt in and easily up and running without the need for a special one off Hewland transaxle. A Porsche 930 was an option I’ve considered, but having to fabricate everything from flywheel to adaperplate, special clutch, special everything... I’ve opted for an easier route to get it rolling.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice to meet you Alex! 250k into a 917, what items did you machine out of billet Gold? Isn’t that kind of heavy? I’m aiming for a budget of 75k, using the light blue gel coat, and all of my own labor. I have a mill, lathe, MIG and TIG welder, etc.

Alex’s Unobtainium Exhaust System might be just a few shekels...

What are the issues with the G96.01? I might need to look into whatever the mid engine Corvette is using for a transaxle, but I’m afraid to see the price!

I think if you are running stock LS power the G.96.01 may be ok, but if you running any type of forced induction I don't think it will hold up. That said, you'd be a brave soul to run a 917 at 1000hp (or even 750hp). I think there are mixed experiences out there on G96 longevity, perhaps some of the negative results were used boxes. Main drivability issues are how close the first 3 gears are, cruising RPM is above 2k, somewhat lower top speed. I think there's a good number of threads out there discussing this.

I must have forgotten that Fran stated the G96.01 had been rebuilt. In my mind it was just a transaxle pulled out of an unknown milage car, so I was looking for something closer to me/ I could have rebuilt.... after talking with Fran, I went ahead with his, plus I save shipping money since it comes with the car #ThatWasEasy!

I have nearly every switch, light and accessory ordered or received, now for the cake to be baked... I'm ready to decorate! Anyone have an opinion regarding upgrading to a LSD on the transaxle IF Fran has one available before shipping my kit out?

Update for May 15, 2023. Things are progressing, still waiting on the steering rack which is preventing me from installing the AC evaporator, pedals and front bodywork, but I am about 85% done with the electrical, the ‘traverse driveways’ braces, pallet Jack wheels go on after the front bodywork, things are looking good for hitting the road in another 6-8 weeks! Center wing, adjustable spoilers, all kinds of custom made bits ready for paint. Truly enjoyable build!

Attachments

• IMG_3343.jpeg
    IMG_3343.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 151
Back