A Little Help From My Friends.

I need a little help in my final hours. I have two different specs for the toe alignment. One shows a "street" setting of front: out (neg.) 3mm or .120 total, Rear: shows the same. The other spec only shows it as 15 minutes, no neg. or pos. First question which won do I use. Also I thought you used toe out on race settings and not for the street. If I should use the 15 minutes how do I measure minutes, I'm sure it not with my watch, and is it positive or negative? I would really like to drive my car today so a little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

Please tell us that by 'my final hours' you mean that the car is just about ready to drive. Right?

Richard? Richard??

It's been a few years since I've done alignments but, if memory serves, there's 60 minutes per degree, which would mean that the 15 minute camber spec would read as 0.25 degree. Negative. You definitely want negative. Don't ask me how I know.

Your finding of 0.120 toe-out for the front sounds right on the money for the street, though you'd probably want to be a bit more agressive for on-track event as it can help a bit.

For the rear, 1/16 inch toe-in is right in the ballpark, so that the nose follows the tail... it's more fun that way. There's no way you want toe-out unless you're driving an Atlantic on ovals... in which case every wheel is pointed a different direction.

T.

Dutton thanks for getting back. So toe out is OK for the front? I was going to do the alignment myself but I think I'll take it in for the first go around. It's close now. 1/8" toe in and 1 to 1.5 neg camber on all 4. I got temporary tags for it today so all I have to do is tidy a few things up and it's off I go.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Richard, I had a guy who use to work on the originals, he set my car up with 1/16-1/8 toe in on the front. O on camber for street use all the way around.

We want to see pictures of the car when you do get her rolling again!

I guess everyone has their preferred set up - mine is 1/8 toe in on the front, zero toe on the rear and 1/2-1 degree of negative camber front and rear. I've run most of my performance/semi-track cars on this setting as a starting point for tuning for years and been pretty happy. As Tim indicates above however you may end up with all four wheels pointing in different directions once the fine tuning has been done...

Thanks everyone, no pictures yet as it was late last night when I put the body back on for the first time in over a year and took it for a short ride. Did I tell everyone how much I hate plumbing. Enough said, it was fun while it lasted. More soon including pictures. I was going to say I snuck the car out but I found out you don't sneak a car like that anywhere. I'm sure I woke up cops in at least a couple of the surrounding cities.

Back