A Tornado in Yorkshire

Hi Keith.
The Tornado ones I've seen (I'm guessing yours are different) have a welded arm on the end which is going to make fitting them awkward. Worst case I'll just have to remove the panel and refit

Jason, my antirolls are possibly the previous generation. BTW I could not see the pressure rating on the valve, I guess the pressure out of the Bosch is fairly low? K

Hi Keith
I couldnt find a rating on the valve either but it's going to be in the return line so shouldn't be too high. I sent an email to the suppliers a while ago but not heard anything back yet.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jason

So you will do Tank to Facit to swirl
Return Swirl through 3 way valve to tank.

Then Swirl to HP to rail

Sorry to be a party pooper but you will eed to add 2 non return valves
So you will do Tank to Facit through non return to swirl
Return Swirl through 3 way valve to tank.

The current Facit pumps no longer have built in non return valves

Ian

Hi Ian
You're right the facet pumps don't have them built in. On my system there are two inline one way valves on the inlets to the facet pumps.

Hi Keith
I found out the three way valve is rated at 30psi. As it will always be open one way or the other with nothing to restrict the flow there should only be low pressure going throught it.
Presure isn't my stongest subject though so someone correct me if I've got that wrong.

Last edited:
Hi all.
It's been a while since the last update but I've done plenty on the car.
I spent Christmas designing and making the wiring loom. Not too bad a job as I did most of it in front of the telly watching christmas films and drinking beer.
I've made a fuse and relay panel that fits nicely up out of the way next to the steering column, and fitted all the clocks and switches, and wired up the dash. The dash will probably just get a coat of black satin paint before the car goes for IVA, then i'll decide how I want to finish it.
IMG_9210.jpgIMG_9208.jpgIMG_9197.jpgIMG_9198.jpg
Also fiberglassed some brackets to the dash to make fitting and removal easier.
IMG_9199.jpgIMG_9200.jpg
Made some panels to seal off the fuel filler hose from the inside of the car.
IMG_9084.jpg
Heater hoses and radiator hoses fitted.
The radiator hoses have been wrapped in felt insulation, then covered in alloy foil tape. They will get insulated again before the centre cover goes over the top. The gear shifter is also in. It's pretty tight in this area so I made a panel that keeps the hoses and wiring out of the way below the shifter.
IMG_9083.jpgIMG_9082.jpg
Heat/aircon unit fitted, fans and radiator mounted, and also the front anti roll bar.
IMG_9080.jpgIMG_9081.jpgIMG_9205.jpg
Not too far off finishing the interior wiring and pipework then I can start the upholstery side of things. Hoping to get the chassis sat on some wheels by summer, with an engine in by the end of the year.

Jason, looks good,.... clearly I need to know your brand of beer, 'cos I did the same over Christmas and got nothing done on the car. I was interested to see your fusebox solution, as I am getting near that point. I have a Corsa EPAS, so not as much room there, but I like your concept.

I think you may have to mount the dash switches on an ally plate as the GRP dash will not pass IVA,... I believe the area around the switches needs to be able to withstand a certain level of impact and GRP does not pass. K

Thanks Paul
To be honest, the wiring would have ended up a right mess if I'd been drinking real beer:)

I found there is quite a lot of useable room next to the steering column on the Tornado. it means getting on your hands and knees to check fuses but probably like that wherever you put them.

Not much different from most production cars, if you're lucky they drop down but most are buried up under the dash under the passenger side.

Neville B

Supporter
Hi all.
It's been a while since the last update but I've done plenty on the car.
I spent Christmas designing and making the wiring loom. Not too bad a job as I did most of it in front of the telly watching christmas films and drinking beer.
I've made a fuse and relay panel that fits nicely up out of the way next to the steering column, and fitted all the clocks and switches, and wired up the dash. The dash will probably just get a coat of black satin paint before the car goes for IVA, then i'll decide how I want to finish it.
View attachment 69825View attachment 69831View attachment 69830View attachment 69829
Also fiberglassed some brackets to the dash to make fitting and removal easier.
View attachment 69828View attachment 69827
Made some panels to seal off the fuel filler hose from the inside of the car.
View attachment 69824
Heater hoses and radiator hoses fitted.
The radiator hoses have been wrapped in felt insulation, then covered in alloy foil tape. They will get insulated again before the centre cover goes over the top. The gear shifter is also in. It's pretty tight in this area so I made a panel that keeps the hoses and wiring out of the way below the shifter.
View attachment 69823View attachment 69822
Heat/aircon unit fitted, fans and radiator mounted, and also the front anti roll bar.
View attachment 69820View attachment 69821View attachment 69826
Not too far off finishing the interior wiring and pipework then I can start the upholstery side of things. Hoping to get the chassis sat on some wheels by summer, with an engine in by the end of the year.
Looking at the fan brackets are they pop rivetted into the actual radiator...is that ok to do, thanks

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Neville
Yes you can rivet angle to the radiator core cover plate as long as you do not damage the coolant tubes.
Thanks
Andy

Back