A Tornado in Yorkshire

Finaly got some time to update the build log. Quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks.

The brakes and clutch master cylinder are all plumbed in at the front, and the lower front bulkhead panel is fitted. Just waiting for some thin rubber and I can finish off the gator around the steering column.
IMG_8547.jpgIMG_8548.jpgIMG_8549.jpg

Got around to making a battery box.
IMG_8550.jpgIMG_8556.jpgIMG_8557.jpg

Also got the front clip mounted. Not as bad a job as I expected. It's starting to look like a proper car now. I've started making the door hinges as well but I'm going to wait until I've got the screen before I hang the doors, so I can be sure everything lines up right.
IMG_8552.jpgIMG_8551.jpgIMG_8554.jpg

Hi Jason,
Your progress looks really good. I would however be cautious about running what I presume are the rear brake / clutch lines down by the throttle pedal. It’s extremely tight in that area, especially if you double skin it. Running them along the chassis rail above would be a better idea
Rgds,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_8549a.JPG
    IMG_8549a.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 641
Thanks Andy. Your right, it's certainly tight down there. I'm not planning to double skin though so they should just fit along the top of the rail out of the way.

Jason

Hi all
I thought it was about time I got some updates done. It's been too cold in the garage to do a real lot over winter but I haven't been completly idle.
IMG_8562.jpgIMG_8604.jpgIMG_8600.jpg

I've milled out a pair of door handles. One's just about finished, I just need to finish polishing and radiusing the other and they are ready to fit.
I also molded the door recesses out of fibreglass. Just need to fill and blend them into the door panels.

IMG_8606.jpgIMG_8607.jpgIMG_8608.jpgIMG_8609.jpg

Also made the door hinges, fitted a rubber panel around the steering column, and fitted bonnet stays.

Hopefully I'll get to Tornado and pick up the windscreen in the next few weeks then I can get the body and doors fitted properley and start on the electrics.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Jason

The size of radius on the edges of the door handles are not a problem for IVA

Thanks

Andy

Jason

Your work (craftsmanship) is very good, I'm finishing off a Tornado in Northern Ireland, and watching carefully. Can I ask, did you do the cross pattern on the access panels yourself, if so, how do you do it? I had a quick look on youtube, but could not see it, is there a term for it?

Keith

Thanks Stavros and Harvs

I reckon there was about 3 days work in total making the handles, including a lot of head scratching. I wanted them to be mounted from the back which meant also making a mounting bracket for them. Just got a couple of hours finishing one of them and they will be done. Would have been a lot more practical to buy them, but nowhere near as satisfying.

The cross on the access panel was pretty low tech. The panel was clamped diagonaly to the edge of a bench with a piece of wood and bent by hand. The first bend is easy, the second one is a bit more awkward as the panel has a bend in it. I used 1.2mm ali and it worked great. It only needs a very small amount of bend to work.

Jason

It's been a while so thought I better get on with some updates.
I've been getting on with a lot of the more fiddly bits through summer so not a huge amount to show for my efforts.

One of the doors hung and working.
IMG_9042.jpgIMG_9038.jpgIMG_9039.jpgIMG_9040.jpgIMG_9041.jpg

Handbrake cables in and centre tunnel paneling started
IMG_9043.jpgIMG_9049.jpg

Fuel system started. Almost complete, just need to run the return line to the tanks. The system consists of two Facet lift pumps to a swirl pot, then out through a Bosch 044 to Aeromotive regulator. The return line will run through an electronic valve to switch it to whichever tanks lift pump is running.
IMG_9045.jpgIMG_9046.jpg

I've ordered a load more bits from Tornado so should have plenty to do over winter.
Next job is to fit the other door, then complete the bodywork as soon as I've got the screen. Then I can get started on the electrics and interior.

I've set myself a realistic target to get the engine around this time next year with the IVA early in 2015.

Jason

Hi Jason, looks good, keep her lit. don't forget to swage the ends of those copper pipes before you lose access to the engine bay. What's your plans for the winter? K

Looking great Jason :).

You mentioned using an electronic valve to switch between tanks on the return flow. Just wondered if you've found something suitable for this yet?

Hi Keith
Winter projects will be:
Finishing fitting the body. I've got a screen on order, as soon as I've got that I can trial fit it and make sure everything lines up.
I've got all the clocks ordered so dashboard will probably be next.
I've also got the anti roll bars to fit. Going to be a real pain as I've panneled the front of the car. I should have thought it through a bit earlier in the build.
I've also got the radiator on order so I can finish off all the pipe work to the back of the car.

Jason

Hi Jason

the solenoid looks good, I may have to invest. Re. the front antiroll bars, just buy yourself 2 big grommets, say 50mm and cut a hole to match, you should be able to feed the bar through. I think my log has a couple of pix, if not I can send. If you need to know the hole positions, let me know. I put my panels on with the roll bar in place, I just unscrewed the ends and 'threaded the grommeted panel over it then riveted; I know your prob is somewhat different.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65649&d=1369732906

I think I used 30/35mm grommets.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Jason, sounds like it should be suitable. I think in another thread someone (Frank Catt from memory) said to check that the valve allows sufficient throughput. From the description it sounds like it should be fine, but might be worth double checking.

Back