A Tornado in Yorkshire

Hi all.
Re, the paneling.
Although Tornado will supply all the panels ready to fit, I never considered this as an option. The build manual is pretty easy to follow and wherever possible I want to build this car, not just assemble it.
One of the reasons I went with Tornado is because they will do as much or as little as I need them to do.
I think I would still be doing the panels myself even if I'd had a lottery win, although I might have gone for the carbon fibre chassis option instead:)

I've started paneling the sills today. I'm just working on the fuel sender access panels, then I can rivet them in and post some pics.

Jason

Hi Paul, You wont go far wrong with the SGT.
Although in honesty you will need to trim some of the SGT panels depending on how fussy you are. And I am fussy.
There are so many panels on a 40 I can't see why folks dont buy them ready made unless Tornado are charging a fortune for them, they shouldn't do, as once you have the patterns there a doddle.
Perhaps manufacturers should supply downloadable patterns for those who want to self make !

Good Luck, Keep posting

Thanks, bumped into Mick today @ Goodwood which has further reinforced my decision that I will go with SGT:thumbsup:

Keith

Please do not use our customers build threads to recommend other companies products especially when they are not paying vendors on GT40s.com.

Andy

Wow I never realised this site was a clicky as this!

Just because I may not build one of your cars does not mean that I will not thoroughly enjoy reading and commenting on threads about them, and I'm sure Keith feels the same.

I feel the comments above have made more of a negative impact with me toward your company Andy, than Keith's comment ever could have.....

"Wow I never realised this site was a clicky as this!"

Deep down it isn't. Sometimes it just looks that way!

Just seen Andys comment.
And I just said your wont go far wrong with an SGT and I was just being honest.
You wont go far wrong with a Tornado either.
You wont go far wrong with a GT-Forte probably.... Sorry, Salt in the wound

If Carlsberg made GT40's I would have bought one of them cos they would probably be the best in the world !

A bit more progress yesterday.
The sill panels are cut and drilled, and ready for riveting.
IMG_0964.jpg
I've seen several solutions to the problem of being able to remove the tanks after the sill panels are installed. Mine was to cut slots over the tank mount bolts, then lightly glue in a peice of aluminium that can be prized out later if need be. Leaves a nice, flush finish.
IMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpg
I also made the sills a bit more ridgid with a couple of lengths of rectangular box section.
IMG_0968.jpg
Couldnt resist putting one of the rear uprights together. Got to love those alloy shocks.
IMG_0963.jpg
I hope everyone has a good easter. I dont know how much car building I'm going to get done over the bank holiday, I've got a rabbit hutch to build:)

Hi Jason, Question is it not possible normally to remove the tanks once the cills are fixed ?
Seems not a good idea as during the build you will put the tanks in out many many times, trial fitting etc etc.
Also years down the road your will take them out.
It dosen't seem a good idea not to have them removable. I wont say what manufacturer bolts the tanks in with 4 rubber mounted M10 for ease of removing but Mine does !
Once the ally panelling is finalised I run a line of sikaflex along the edge where it meets the chassis, takes out some vibration and seals the area between the tanks and the cockpit ( fuel fumes )
Also consider Dynamat sound insulation, easy fit and baffles noise and vibration.

Looks Very neat mate

Jason,
Just make sure those cut-outs are sealed incase IVA check when you get to it. The fuel compartment area is meant to be sealed off from the driver cabin.

Looking good, well done

Brett

I wouldn't solidly fix the tanks to the chassis. Over-time, flexing and vibration could weaken the Alloy? Mine will be squeezed in and held in place by high desnisity foam all around and two straps. Definately do as already recommended and allow for easy removal!

Good point Brett. I'll probably seal them in completely when the build is complete. They might be in and out a couple of times during the build, but after the cars finished I'm not so bothered about them being easy to take out.

Hi Keith,
You have to leave some holes above to get to the tank bolts. The normal method seems to be round holes with a flush fitting plug. Tornado's build photos show this method. See Trevor and Scotts builds.
I'll be doing the same as you and sealing the cockpit from the tank area once the build is done.

Hi all
No updates for a while as I've been on with other things but I've finally
managed to get some time on the car.

A bit more paneling progress. Rear bulkhead cut and folded, and inner side panels ready to rivet.
IMG_0992.jpgIMG_0982.jpg

Panels cut and bent ready for the front wheel arch. I've not bought polished aluminium, so they had a bit of a polish before fitting. I know it would have been easier to buy polished aluminium from the start, but at least if I do it myself I can easily produce the same finish if (or more accurately, when) they get scratched during the build.

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0993.jpg

Thanks Bill, we certainly are having fun.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your car in paint, that orange is going to look stunning.

Jason

It's been a while since my last update so here's a few pics of the latest progress.
Pedal box has been put together and the front paneling started. I've also started laying out the radiator pipe work.
IMG_7605.jpgIMG_7607.jpgIMG_7608.jpg
I've also fitted the bearings in the rear hubs and started prepping the rear clip. The sooner I can get it fitted the better. It will free up a large and much needed area of garage floor:)
IMG_7604.jpgIMG_7599.jpg

Hi all, more pics of the latest work.
The rear clip is fiitted (At least temporarily)
IMG_7709.jpg
I decided to panel in the forward area of the front wings and wanted to fit a grill. I made a jig out of wood to form it and it works a treat.
IMG_7711.jpgIMG_7712.jpgIMG_7710.jpgIMG_7713.jpg
Front wing panels finished. Looking a lot like the lunar lander:)
I'll rivet the panels on as soon as the other wing is done. Hopefully it will be a lot easier now I know what I'm doing.
IMG_7725.jpgIMG_7728.jpg

Jason, those louvres, do you think the wheels will throw up water into them ?
If you are trying to keep the temp. down you may find it wont get that hot anyway.
If Tornados rads are like mine which I'm sure they are it will stay cool enough.

Hi Keith
Yes, I did think of the water problem. I'm not too worried as I can wait and see if it becomes an issue. If there are no heating problems I can always rotate the grill to point forward, swop them for mesh or block them up if it comes to it.

Finally getting somewhere with the build.
The front paneling is almost done now. The brake servos are in, and the pedal box.
Also put together one of the uprights and fitted the steering rack, column and wheel.
IMG_8104.jpgIMG_8105.jpgIMG_8106.jpg

Yes, I did sit in it making engine noises. I was flat out down the mulsanne when my wife caught me:)
IMG_8108.jpg

Back