Aaron's SL-C build...

Removed the engine today to complete some planned adjustments and modifications.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 618
Another handy item when building an SL-C..

A fork-truck :) and a welder.. :idea:

Sorry for the upside down photo guys..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 262
Today I continued my endeavor to build the SL-C.

I welded in several erroneous holes in various parts on the vehicle.
I completed the modification of the A/C compressor bracket (photos to follow).
I'm now working to correct the appearance of the radiator fan support.
I re-mounted the horns as well.

Today I modified the fan should that Jim created.

I massaged it to fit a bit better and added riv-nuts to secure the fans. I created spacers for the condenser and I'll mount that tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 444
Mounted the shifter today and pre-fit the console. I changed the angle and height of the center console fiberglass piece to better support my arm. I welded threaded tabs on the chassis to mount the shifter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 548
I like that center console, didn't know Fran had them, the blue tape on the roll cage, have you tried to get it off? I have a hard time getting it off, any suggestions? Just comes off in small pieces, tried heat, wd40, brake cleaner, nothing makes it easy.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Try using spray on carburetor cleaner. By careful it has Heptane and Toluene in it and it burns like gas. Have you tried a little gas? It may lift paint also, so keep it off stuff you don't want to repaint. Keep the kid in the house when you do it and open the garage door for ventilation. This will work.

Products :: Cyclo :: C1/C1-CA10VOC/C5

Don't blowup the house OK.

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Why take the tape off? Won't it be covered up with the body and roof panel above your head?

You can see the cage through the roof scoop. My 7 year old son really wanted to help building the car, so I gave him his own project - peel off all the blue tape. Took him awhile but he got most of it off.

You can see the cage through the roof scoop. My 7 year old son really wanted to help building the car, so I gave him his own project - peel off all the blue tape. Took him awhile but he got most of it off.

I gave the wife the "take off the tape residue" game... No matter what happens... I win!

3M makes a tape remover that is safe on paints and finishes. Although I've found that you can still be left with residue. Typically soaking the tape with warm soapy water will help loosen the tape and then use a decal/residue removal wheel such as 3M Stripe Off. Safe on paints and finishes.

I put blue duct tape on the vulnerable body areas (such as wheelwell openings) of my '96 Viper GTS to protect the paint from rock chips in all the track events I was running. This included putting tape on the rocker panels, which cover the exhaust.

MISTAKE.

When I tried to remove the tape after an entire season (3000 miles) of track events, it was a bitch, and NOTHING seemed to work on the baked-on areas of the rocker panels. I tried WD-40, kerosene, gasoline, bug & tar remover, parts washer solvent, and carburetor cleaner. All of them might as well have been tap water.

Then someone told me to use Goof-Off, a product designed to remove paint overspray.

That worked, and ever since I have kept a gallon of it in my shop for such eventualities.

JR

Back