AC compressor belt

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Is it acceptable to just drive the a compressor off of the water pump pulley? Or best to go off of crank and water pump? Or crank only?
0D901F84-A828-4A36-8F9A-CFC81514ECED.jpeg

Looks like your water pump pulley is the same size, so it won't result in any speed difference relative to the crank shaft. The only thing I can think of is harmonics, but i don't know enough to say if that will be good or bad.

Best practice would be the belt wrap as many pulleys as you can.

Looks like best for you would be (if I'm seeing the alignment I think I am) one belt gets the water pump, crank and A/C, and the other gets water pump, crank and Alt.

Each belt has a tensioner, and you don't lose your water pump unless you lose BOTH belts.

I wouldn't try to get all 4 with one belt because you don't have enough contact on the crank if you do.

Driving the A/C off of the water pump only puts a lot of extra strain on the alt belt.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Running mine of crank. How will you get the waterpump pulley to drive the AC compressor?
Morten

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Morten, I currently will have the alternator belt run from the crank over the water pump. The thought I had was to run the AC off the water pump to add clearance for the hoses from the oil lines.

If you have a reason, it will work. Truth is with a GT40, the belts not lasting 30,000 miles isn't really a big deal. 5,000 miles is an acceptable service life on this application.

Neil

Supporter
If you have a reason, it will work. Truth is with a GT40, the belts not lasting 30,000 miles isn't really a big deal. 5,000 miles is an acceptable service life on this application.
It is important to choose a good brand-name belt. Some that I've used stretched out like a rubber band after only a few miles. Those were made in Korea.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It is important to choose a good brand-name belt. Some that I've used stretched out like a rubber band after only a few miles. Those were made in Korea.
TRUE!!!!
Goodyear Gatorback belt is the only thing made by Goodyear that I will still buy. The other belt mfgr is Gates.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On the belt that only does two plilies get the belt and push the sides or the 0 shape together and if it spirals into a figure 8 get another make of belt. One that goes into a figure 8 will try to come off..Trick found in air cooled VW days

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So my approach to the 2 belt over the water pump was about even tension on the pump bearings vs the thought of if one belt breaks you are still spinning the water pump.
My only issue is the lower part of the AC belt falls in the line of the oil cooler take off lines.
Guess I need to fit engine in the chassis to see where I really stand. Easy to carry spare alternator/water/crank belt!
4F45BE0F-1B2E-486D-9411-9B2BE7EFE2B1.jpeg

David, what is the part number of the compressor you are running, the one I have been looking at is much too deep?

Thanks.

Back