Acceptable wheel Turning Angles??

GTPVette

Supporter
I just finished making some new front UCA’s for my GTM as I needed more caster and camber. Overall they came out real nice and I can hit the numbers I need but I blew it somewhat as I now have some rubbing.

When I approach full lock the rim will hit the front of the UCA. I’ve gone from 3 turns lock to lock down to about 2.5, losing about ¼ of a turn at each end. In getting some rough angles at the wheels it seems I’ve gone from about 30 degrees of turn each way down to about 25 degrees each way. Is this enough for a part time street ride? Do you guys know if there are there norms for these numbers? What kind of angles do you run?

Thanks!
Fred

25 degrees on the outside wheel will result in a curb-to-curb turning circle of about 38 feet. Not great, but within real-world (full-size) cars.

On the other hand, (assuming real Ackerman...) 25 degrees on the inside wheel increases the circle to 46 feet, which could be awkward in some street driving.

GTPVette

Supporter
Bob,,,,
Thanks for your thoughts. I've opted to move forward,,, but new rims with a slightly different offset may be in my future.

Back