All Porsche powertrain in SLC?

Hi, Tim! It's April, 2015! How is progress on the SL-C Porsche! :)

Thanks for asking! I decided to rebuild the motor last summer shortly after I got it running. I thought it had major issues, but after pulling it, it turns out I had misplumbed a vent line. I was sucking a little bit of coolant into the intake - whoops. In the end it was probably good to rebuild it. I didn't split the case, but replaced the rod bearings, had the heads rebuilt and did every piece of maintenance that applies. It allowed me to clean up the wiring harness, simplify some of the venting.

I finally bought the proper cam timing tools last week and plan to time the cams this week. That's been the last major hurdle. Other than that, the engine is ready to go.

In the meantime I pretty much finished my interior which I had originally planned to do after getting the car running.

Tim

hey,

i have a question about the transaxle, do you need to do anything special on the transaxle? i seen somebody who was saying that you needed to reverse the transaxle, what do you guys mean by "reverse"?
Thanks

killian

i have a question about the transaxle, do you need to do anything special on the transaxle? i seen somebody who was saying that you needed to reverse the transaxle, what do you guys mean by "reverse"?
The 911 is rear-engined, so if you want to install the drivetrain mid-engined, you'd have multiple reverse gears and only one forward. Something needs to be done to the transaxle to reverse the output. One option is to turn the transaxle upside-down.

The 911 is rear-engined, so if you want to install the drivetrain mid-engined, you'd have multiple reverse gears and only one forward. Something needs to be done to the transaxle to reverse the output. One option is to turn the transaxle upside-down.

Haven't read the whole thread, but assuming he's using a Porsche transaxle (903 etc) it's not that big of a deal to flip the ring a pinion. BAMO, 4 gears going forward, one going in reverse.

thank you for you answer, is it expensive to do this "something" to reverse the gears?

Killian-

Fairly simple to invert most Porsche transaxles, but not all. Some require case machining to flip the ring gear to the opposite side, running right-side-up.

Back